EconMatters

View EconMatters' Comments BY TICKER:
  • China vs. Inflation: A Love-30 Match, So Far [View article]
    I, for one, believe core tends to mislead policymakers, and never take core at its face value. There is an infaltion problem in China. Every week Beijing is comeing out with new measrues trying to contain it. I'm not one of the China bears, but do see heightened risks.
    Jan 24 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect Impending Gas Correction to Hit Refining Stocks [View article]
    At current price, VLO risk level is worse than BP. XOM would have been a better choice. But I'd wait for a pullback to get in.
    VLO just hit a 52-wk high, which is part of the reason it has a high short float.
    Jan 17 06:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Discouraging Unemployment Picture [View article]
    I believe corp earnings are completely detached from the employment picture, i.e. jobless recovery. Co's earnings are good partly on increased productivity (i.e. less headcount) and QE. QE propped up everything from stocks to commodities. All eyes on China now.
    Jan 10 05:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks Due for a Pullback in 2011 [View article]
    I'd concur. risk off the chart, sharpe ratio -0.08 dropping vs. BP sharpe ratio +0.30, rising.
    Jan 7 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Copper in 2011: A Beijing Opera [View article]
    That's why my conclusion that copper would be hard-pressed to top $5 a pound in 2011 primarily because I see a potential significant slowdown in China this and next year.

But with so much liqudity slushing around, stranger things could happen including a $5.50 copper price without much fundamental. .
    Jan 3 05:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold, Dollar, Euro and China: Four to Tango in 2011 [View article]
    I'd say not more than 3-5% of your portfolio. Gold is still one asset class with high volatilty and highly speculated.
    Dec 30 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outlook 2011 for Crude Oil and Gasoline: Escalator Up and Elevator Down [View article]
    Thanks. Always good to learn feedback from a producer's point of view.
    Dec 28 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.
    Dec 28 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outlook 2011: China Says No More Cars, Down Goes Auto Industry [View article]
    I added a Chinese automaker market ranking and share to the post at my blog. If interested, here is the link of table goo.gl/DmTzo
    Or view it in context at my blog goo.gl/1TSE2. Thanks.
    Dec 27 06:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outlook 2011: China Says No More Cars, Down Goes Auto Industry [View article]
    Seeking Alpha Editor added that, as it is not included in my original post. SAIC Motor (600104.SS) is listed in Shanghai, but not in the U.S. Here is the link for the stock chart & info. from Reuters if interested:
    www.reuters.com/financ...

I will alert Seeking Alpha. Thanks for brining it to my attention.
    Dec 27 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed’s Bullard Is Full of Self-Contradictions [View article]
    I see U.S. unemployment top 10% by first half next year.
    Dec 27 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outlook 2011: China Says No More Cars, Down Goes Auto Industry [View article]
    Of course Beijing city is not the entire China. However, as the capital of China, the city's action could have great influence over other large cities. As I said, a scenario could play out where other large cities could follow suit. This concern is reflected in the selloff of the automakers mentioned here.
    Another scenario as you pointed out is that high speed rail could possibly reduce the need for cars, which is further bearish for automakers.
    Auto sector typically responds to economic condition earlier than most of other sectors. And I do see a significant pullback of China in 2011, possibly beyond, and auto will be the front runner getting hit.
    Dec 27 04:03 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • California Consumes More Oil Than China: Fact or Market Manipulation? [View article]
    I made the following revision upon further fact checking:

"So, moral of the story...since the U.S. is still the largest oil consuming country in the world while Cushing is brimming with with one of the highest inventory levels on record (about 20 days worth of U.S. usage--contrary to the claim in the CNBC article that Cushing has half a year worth of crude)"

And by the way, China population is 1.3 billion ( my typo). I informed SA the revision; meanwhile, please go to my blog dianchu.blogspot.com or mobile reader bit.ly/dianchu-mobile to check out the latest version.

Thanks.

Dian
    Dec 4 04:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil: The Clock Is Ticking [View article]
    From what I understand, the study only looked at a completely replacing oil scenario, which it concluded would 131 years given the current pace of R&D.
    Alternative fuels of course will erode oil market share over time, but that is not what the study was looking at. And based on many other studies, oil will remain the main energy source in the foreseeable future, albeit with decreasing market share. .
    Nov 14 02:34 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swimming in Crude Oil? Record High Inventory Will Continue to Build [View article]
    Inventory actually showed a surprise bigger than expected draw after I published this article. But it remains to be seen if the trend will continue.
    Dollar could only boost oil price to a limit in the face of high inventories. Also, oil recently is showing some detach from the dollar, which I believe is a sign of the abundant liquidity, irrelavent of dollar or othe rmarket factors.
    Nov 14 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment