Economic Disconnect

View Economic Disconnect's Comments BY TICKER:

• Why Odyssey Marine Is Worth Exploring [View article]
    Been a long time holder of OMEX. Great write up. I still like this company.
    Jan 17, 2011. 08:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Further Thoughts on My Treasury Meeting [View article]
    Kicking the can down the road has always clearly been policy. What I wonder most about is if money/process focused people miss the damage done by such bailout policies and free rides to cushion the storm. The structural shift in consumer/borrower psychology will be different going forward due to these policies and missing that key point is a huge blindspot for policy makers.
    Aug 19, 2010. 08:24 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Know Housing Is Dead for a Long Time [View article]
    I have seen a few writers today saying the Bill Gross refinance idea (not his, but the idea has been out a while) is a no go because banks will not or cannot write down the big losses; I agree they cannot. What folks are missing is the US government will make the banks whole on the loan and then refi the new loan. What is so hard to grasp? No banking losses will come from this program, just another , well, I cannot even estimate what the loss number will be but the US government will absorb it.
    Aug 18, 2010. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Know Housing Is Dead for a Long Time [View article]
    Good points all.

I still come back to that line about the "rumor" of mega refi; when Bill Gross says something, I think it carries some weight. Maybe this one was leaked a little too early? In any case, when banks want back in to the mortgage market, you will know housing is turning around. Whenever that is.......
    Aug 18, 2010. 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S.'s Ability to Continue Borrowing Should Be Viewed as Gratifying [View article]
    In only 4 of the last 30 years has the US run a surplus on the budget. Last time I checked, and correct me if I am wrong, we have not had 26 years of recession/contraction. When would this alleged pull back in government spending ever happen?
    Jun 24, 2010. 10:21 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Housing Collapse Intensifies [View article]
    Great article and front page treatment from SA, very nice man!
    Jun 24, 2010. 10:14 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Deflation Really That Scary? [View article]
    Best line:
    "Japan has supposedly suffered the horror of deflation for two decades now. But I can't find much evidence of horror beside the words used by economists and pundits to describe it."
    That nails it! Great article.
    Jun 18, 2010. 08:54 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Signs of a Recovery? [View article]
    yeah that was a total flop. I would have had the Celtics a 2:1 fav to win game 6 but now I think its 3:1 against them pulling off game 7 after that total debacle. Ugly.
    Jun 16, 2010. 08:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Signs of a Recovery? [View article]
    Things economic move glacially most of the time. Is anyone else shocked that financial reform STILL has not been accomplished? Add to that any "reform" at this point has been watered down to why bother point.

It is not a binary choice, either bunker mentality or same game as always; I just wanted to point out that we have seen numerous game changers and if things get bad again we will see more. Is anyone still doing market orders after the Flash Crash?
    Jun 15, 2010. 06:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Signs of a Recovery? [View article]
    Thanks dragonpaw!
    Jun 15, 2010. 02:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Signs of a Recovery? [View article]
    that is a whole lotta eating going on!

my point of that section was that it is unlikely that kind of setup will be honored if things go that way.
    Jun 15, 2010. 01:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should We Fear a Liquidity Trap or Not? [View article]
    It is weird that people in general accept an erosion of purchase power over time but would scream murder if negative interest rates were enacted. Can you imagine the noise if banks charged you to hold your money? I think the response would be very angry. But, allow inflation to eat away your buying power over time? No problem.
    Jun 15, 2010. 11:00 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Signs of a Recovery? [View article]
    Cool, SA has not picked up an article of mine in a while!

yes, I think Hussman was out today and noted that one should not confuse government intervention with an organic recovery, and I agree of course.

Good points. I think the "flash crash" or whatever it is called now may have scared many regular folks from the markets for a long time. It just looks too much like a rigged casino now.
    Jun 15, 2010. 10:56 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now That's What I Call a Reversal [View article]
    The bulls could have asked for any volume for the ramp up, but all the action was dumping in the morning. No volume moves up result in big pockets that collapse fast.
    May 25, 2010. 07:51 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dripping With Irony [View instapost]
    Great flow chart.

I was on vacation for a bit but even before that SA has not been picking up many (any) of my posts. You can always get a look over at my home site though! Thanks for remembering me.
    May 14, 2010. 09:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment