Economic Disconnect

View Economic Disconnect's Comments BY TICKER:
  • U.S. Economy: It's Up to Us to Make It Better [View article]
    Steve,
    Great point. I had wanted to include that but was running low on time.

All, call me EconDisc or just Econ, ED is not how I want to be thought of!
    Friday Humor.
    Oct 23, 2009. 10:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo Earnings: First Leak in the Dam? [View article]
    $116 Billion in bond sales next week (plus some TIPS) will sure make watching the sales very interesting. Is the FED out of QE ammo yet? Surely next week they will be.
    Oct 22, 2009. 01:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Credit Card Companies Gone Wild and Other Economic Happenings [View article]
    David,
    I understand, but what about $100 yearly fees even for those "no balance" card holders? You may think $100 is no problem for their service, but it is still a ripoff. I know the banks dont care what I or anyone else does (unless a lot of people do it) but I am out.

Funny personal story;
    I used to be a big gearhead and loved Chevrolet. I have had a GM Visa card forever and have enough points towards a purchase to get about 4k-5k off a new GM. Problem is after buying an Infiniti a few years ago (and anew one last year) I will never buy another brand! Guess those points are wasted!
    Oct 22, 2009. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Credit Card Companies Gone Wild and Other Economic Happenings [View article]
    Jason 722,
    I missed that one, glad you picked it out as very important.

BAC PL,
    I had never heard of that (Revolution) card, but it seems to have had limited success. Do you have any personal experience with that card?
    Oct 22, 2009. 09:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Credit Card Companies Gone Wild and Other Economic Happenings [View article]
    neers87,
    My wife and I are in the same boat. No reason for this kind of customer abuse other than some kind of desperation. This would be a great moment for a new CC company called "You Deserve It" that will only charge 1%-2% over their own borrow rates and extend that CC rate to the best borrowers. Sure, the profit margin is small, but tthink of the volume of business it would command. Any have some start up money?

No advice on anyone's own situtaion, but I am closing out my cards after this ridiculous gouging attempt. I refuse to play.
    Oct 22, 2009. 07:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Monetary System Still Undergoing Stress Test - Cheat Sheets Supplied [View article]
    Manya05, yes maybe natural is a better term!

Hardwood,
    talk to Goldman Sachs, maybe they can make some loans with their record profits.
    Oct 20, 2009. 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Deflation Makes for Ugly Headlines [View article]
    Manya05,
    The end result is similar as I wrote, but yes the psychology is obviously very different between the two.

Before deflation allows anyone to "buy the store" in your example, the FED will make sure the dollar "buys the farm". A little Friday humor, very little.
    Oct 16, 2009. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Deflation Makes for Ugly Headlines [View article]
    Venndata,
    the good old "remember the dividends" line never fails to show up.
    Oct 16, 2009. 07:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Random Thoughts on Tense Markets [View article]
    Manya05,
    Your take on point #2 is in line with my own thoughts

As far as point #3, I think I am just not going to write about gold anymore. Armageddon is not a collapsed currency that will not be honored on par as it has in the past, Armageddon is the total collapse of society. What is more likley, a US dollar that after over 30 years of abuse of all the rules of trade, currency manipulations, and financial engineering outsourced across the globe becomes devalued because of all this and hence loses its value (meaning your money buys less) or outright worldwide collapse of all things all over the globe? I guess this relates to point two in that if all the losses can be ignored forever, so can a dollar with no restraints.
    Oct 15, 2009. 08:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Currency Consternation [View article]
    Robert,
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I am not too put off, I think you are right about the fatigue issue.

Weird day today with a stronger dollar AND higher stock prices. Maybe a one day thing, but you never know.

On my blog site I always feature Friday Night Entertainment, so if anyone is interested in film clips and music, take a look.
    Oct 9, 2009. 05:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Currency Consternation [View article]
    Roger,
    I am not sure if SA tracks read numbers, but I have a stat counter on my host blog and the trend from August to now is down about 50%. Maybe I am slipping or like I said maybe people are just tired of this kind of thing.

Thanks for reading, you have not dropped off!
    Oct 9, 2009. 08:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is the Dollar in Trouble and Does it Even Matter? [View article]
    Old trader,
    Yes, those can indeed all be plays at the same time, what I meant was that data implies otherwisw right now:
    -Gold buying has been steadily increasing since last year, not a new momemtum kind of thing
    -Deflation is what what all data points point to in reality, so inflation is not actually happening right now (see bond yields for agreement)
    -I 100% agree US financial engineering, and that of most world central banks is the reason for the move up in gold (not fungible) but then why the pile on into US treasuries?

It is a strange picture indeed.
    Oct 8, 2009. 07:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is the Dollar in Trouble and Does it Even Matter? [View article]
    It looks like a Latvian bond auction gave today, I am sure the Swede banks are happy about that. "All your fiat currencies belong to us" and the us is destroyed notional wealth.
    Oct 7, 2009. 06:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deflation: U.S. Government Will Do Everything to Make Sure it Doesn't Happen [View article]
    Robert,
    I think the FED made a huge mistake getting in bed with Wall Street (I mean more so than before); all the temporary help is very much worked into models as "permanent".

Michael,
    I agree.
    Oct 3, 2009. 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well,
    It seems the job loss number was so bad, -263k, that no spin could be attempted. My -225k number was a bit off. Not to worry, second stimulus talk will pump up the bulls by days end. The first stimulus, cash for clunkers, etc did such an amazing job I am100% confident a second one will have the same effect.
    Oct 2, 2009. 08:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment