Economics-Based Investor

View Economics-Based Investor's Comments BY TICKER:

• Remember That Ham Sandwich Quote? [View article]
    Advertising only works though if you can convince the buyers - and I will concede likely female for PG products - that these PG products are worth buying and meet the desires of today's consumers. I think with convenience in pods for detergent and dishwasher soap, yes; but PG has missed the boat in the smaller growth engines like organic/environmentally friendly - these are bleeding the market share like a deep laceration that missed the artery, but is still causing blood loss. And while most of us know a consumer cannot likely explain what those two terms actually mean (organic/environmentally friendly that is), they matter to their friends/families and seem safer/healthier, so they buy those products.

Look at every food consumer staple right now - the growth is in these areas; not processed "oldies but goodies" products. Hopefully by shedding brands PG can return to actual innovation in these areas.
    Sep 1, 2015. 08:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Remember That Ham Sandwich Quote? [View article]
    That is the key here - they give us a product with a new gimmick and call it innovation. Adding another blade is not innovation; making the razor nick me zero times versus 5-10 by redesigning the blade angle/cutting capability is. Also factor in that as grocery chains have become conglomerates they have developed the ability to mass produce their own generic brands at near-PG quality for less cost to the consumer - something that 1-2 generations ago was unthinkable.
    Aug 31, 2015. 10:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Not Yet Nibbling On Shake Shack [View article]
    They were clicked off when I submitted the article, but sometimes the ghosts in the machines work in mysterious ways. I will check with the editors to see if those can be turned off. Thank you for noting this!
    Aug 26, 2015. 03:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Not Yet Nibbling On Shake Shack [View article]
    I like Five Guys as well, and as oxymoronic as this will sound, hate waiting 20 minutes for a burger (but didn't mind the 90 minutes in line at SHAK). I have found Five Guys burgers don't have the same flavor that SHAK pulls off.
    Aug 26, 2015. 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Not Yet Nibbling On Shake Shack [View article]
    I have eaten at all three and don't place them in the same class as SHAK at all. Being from CA and living in GA/MS for a time, I felt Whataburger was nothing special, CJ's has a great Western Burger that I can trust but lacks anything special, and In & Out is decent, but still a basic burger. SHAK has IMO the best fast-casual burger with 5-Guys as a close second.
    Aug 26, 2015. 03:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Not Yet Nibbling On Shake Shack [View article]
    I am in no way saying they are all franchised and did not mean to insinuate so; the point remains though that even domestic operated require management oversight that will simply become much more difficult to sustain as the expansion occurs.
    Aug 26, 2015. 03:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    I appreciate the advice and I think you are correct with the assessment. I feel PG made a number of acquisitions and then played the Sears/BBRY game of not reassessing the consumer base - they just assumed the consumers would not change. Their purpose statement says it all - "if we build it, consumers will come." Ignoring negative entropy from consumers has led to gimmicks over innovation and adaptation to the environment.

In regards to your comment, I base my thesis on its current position and will definitely re-assess its drop as it occurs; patience here may be the greatest virtue.
    Aug 23, 2015. 06:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    I would say that capital appreciation depends on the cycle - buying consumer staples when commodities are high due to low supply/high demand, especially food staples, is usually a good bet as long as those prices/demand are unsustainable. Prices in 2011-2012 were far too high with the mid-west drought, and most consumer staples had not jumped as high as other high-fliers during the 2010-2011 rebound (SBUX, AAPL are examples I wish I had bought into heavier). GIS, K, and SJM all rewarded me well in this manner. However, in general you and I buy consumer staples for the same reason - it does offset the hits I have taken this last week on UA, AAPL, and NFLX.
    Aug 23, 2015. 06:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    Thank you - Appreciate you taking the time to read!
    Aug 23, 2015. 03:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    Once above 80, I cringed at buying more - there were too many better staples at lower prices (GIS, KRFT for examples), and many other sectors with solid deals such as NFLX, AAPL, C, BAC.

Just waiting for the 60s.
    Aug 23, 2015. 03:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    Appreciate it!
    Aug 23, 2015. 03:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    Thanks, appreciate it. Corrected now.
    Aug 23, 2015. 03:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    I feel their one glimmer of hope is shedding the brands that have been taking away attention from their other primary fields - Tide, Gillette, paper/toilet products, Dawn. This will allow a bit more focus on current winners, but really they need to begin looking at the low-mid-level incomes to consider what they want/need, or how they attract that income level to buy their products.

I think you are absolutely correct that as the yield grows to the 4% range the stock will even out as it will be bought for stability like a bond.
    Aug 23, 2015. 03:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    Thank you! Appreciate you pointing it out.
    Aug 23, 2015. 03:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PG's Real Problem: Why Consumers Should Buy Their Products [View article]
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you pointing it our and it has since been corrected. Cheers!
    Aug 23, 2015. 03:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment