Econophile

View Econophile's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Real Estate Continues to Drag the Economy [View article]
    EB: Really good observation. But ... can't I expense a lot of this, thus reduce taxes? True, capital exp can't be expensed, but it is depreciated. And there are write-offs for sec 178 exp if less than $100K(?) in Yr. 1? So it's not all a loss, but the basic point you make is excellent.
    Mar 8, 2011. 01:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Real Estate Continues to Drag the Economy [View article]
    "Malinvested" or "Malinvestment" is a term of art used to identify projects that wouldn't have been built (if we're talking about RE) but for the flood of cheap money pumped out by the Fed. This flood of cash sends the wrong signals to business people and they embark on what will eventually become unprofitable ventures.
    Mar 6, 2011. 04:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Real Estate Continues to Drag the Economy [View article]
    Just as you would in any market: when rents stabilize and then values stabilize. In some markets, overbuilt CRE will be torn down, is my guess. I have no clue when or where the bottom will be found. My advice is that if it makes economic sense, i.e., the project cash flows then buy it. It depends on each market which make it hard to give advice.
    Mar 6, 2011. 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GDP: Nothing Is Ever as It Seems [View article]
    Who are you and what do you do? What is basis of your analysis? Went to your site, but little info provided. Thanks. JH
    Mar 1, 2011. 12:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Woe Is Housing [View article]
    My article noted a long-term investment strategy. I don't expect this to happen overnight. But as the market does firm up, I think we'll be seeing snowbirds in Florida.
    Feb 23, 2011. 03:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Woe Is Housing [View article]
    I'm looking more long-term. The market is still in free fall. Check out Tampa. Down 6%. Boomers are just hitting retirement age. It all depends on your market. My point is that it is difficult to time a bottom and if a deal makes sense, do it. Investors will have plenty of time.
    Feb 23, 2011. 02:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation: It's Here [View article]
    Flow,

I rarely do this, but we are not having a discussion. I've tried. But you are now on my persona non grata list. I will not address your comments any further, ever.
    Feb 22, 2011. 12:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation: It's Here [View article]
    Flow:

Nothing was borrowed from the Monetarist school. The Austrian ideas go way back, but were first formulated by Mises in 1912. Neither Minsky nor Friedman were writing back then. Mises applied the ideas of the marginal revolution (Menger, Boehm-Bawerk, and others) to money and banking. See his Theory of Money and Credit.

Also, Austrian theory doesn't think much of "velocity." Since you have read some of Frank Shostak's pieces (he's my favorite essayist), you might wish to read this: mises.org/daily/918 .

I'm not sure where you were going with all the other data, but I think I'm not going to convince you of the validity of Austrian theory. I urge you to do more than browse the publications you cited. It is one of those things where you have to start from the basics and work your way up the chain. Unfortunately, Austrian theory is not easy to "get" or easy to explain, which is one of the reasons the Keynesians and Monetarists and nondenominational neoclassicists prevail today.

There is a lot of good data at the Mises Institute which you have discovered.

I haven't read the Pritchard paper, I will admit and I probably won't have the time. So perhaps I am being unfair asking you to read Austrian theory material.

But, one last thing. I urge you to read Hayek's Nobel acceptance lecture on the epistemological foundation of contemporary economics. It is very, very good. nobelprize.org/nobel_p...

But I thank you for the comments.
    Feb 21, 2011. 04:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation: It's Here [View article]
    Good comments, Mr. Breen. Thanks.
    Feb 20, 2011. 11:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation: It's Here [View article]
    I don't really understand what you are saying. Have you ever read any Austrian theory economists? I see these kinds of comments frequently and find that the critiques are never based on actual knowledge of the theories. I would be happy to respond if you expressed your ideas more clearly
    Feb 20, 2011. 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation: It's Here [View article]
    Please explain.
    Feb 17, 2011. 01:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banks Still Not Lending; Credit Crunch Continues [View article]
    Really good insight into the real world. Thanks for this! If you don't mind I would like to publish your comment as an article on The Daily Capitalist. Anonymously of course.
    Feb 6, 2011. 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Manufacturing Leading a Recovery? [View article]
    Not sure. But US share of manufacturing worldwide has been the same for the last 30 years, around 22%.
    Feb 6, 2011. 04:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Translation of Bernanke's Speech [View article]
    Thanks Doug. They pick up some of my pieces occasionally.
    Feb 6, 2011. 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Inflation Finally Here? [View article]
    The Fed wants us to go into debt. So how do we reconcile sanity with insanity? The voting booth? And yes, Buzzer, the debtors will be rewarded. The savers like dcfusor will be punished.

Great comments.