Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    "They only run after the guy who has the ball"

From my Air Force days there was an old adage that said "if you're receiving flak you must be over the target."

Apr 17 01:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Income Portfolio: A Stronger Focus On Dividend Champions [View article]
    DS

Nice update. Thanks for keeping us informed on your movements in the portfolio. I'll have to take a look at WGL. I'm still long RDS.B and PSEC.

Apr 16 10:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    "...when you keep getting those pesky raises while you still haven't figured out what to do with the previous ones..."

David

Never had that problem, I automatically know to just give it to the wife and she has been very adept at being able to figure out what to do with it. :-)

Apr 16 02:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Briar

Although your response was directed to Doug I just wanted to say thanks for contributing to the discussion. Hopefully my article didn't come across as trying to make Buffett out as a closet DGI since he clearly is not. And there is a lot we can learn from studying what he does.

Apr 16 12:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Brian

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it and appreciate you taking the time to respond. Best wishes,

Apr 16 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dale

Thanks.

Apr 16 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sofia

I'm sorry, my response was poorly worded. What I meant by it was that I agreed with you. Thanks,

Apr 16 11:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    wajlee

Thanks for a great comment and for honoring my article as the recipient of your first comment. Although your comment was addressed to Doug I just wanted to say I appreciate you adding to the conversation.

Apr 16 10:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave

Great comment! I especially enjoyed "Instead of the answer being, "I want the most money possible," for many it realistically becomes "I want to have enough to retire without worry."

That's exactly why I keep saying that the mindset of trying to accumulate as much as possible tends to lead one up the stair steps of risk to taking higher risk. For example, a person says I need to achieve a higher return in order to have a bigger pot of money so I need to invest in more small caps, maybe get in some more pharmaceutical or biotech companies.

Or they may say I need to branch out, take profits earlier and use those profits to repeat the process or order to grow the pie bigger. So they wind up trading rather than investing, and not only do their investment expenses (trading costs) go up but their success rate goes down. It has the effect of decreasing patience rather than increasing it. Of course not everyone follows that path but many do. Some are successful at it, many others are not.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't want a bigger pie. What I'm saying is that we should be concentrating on making wise and higher probability investments, exercising patience and understanding that the growth of the pie will come over time and through compounding of the portfolio.

For me the way to do that is through investing in dividend growth companies that pay me to exercise patience. And next year they pay me even more to exercise more patience. I enjoy sitting on my hands getting paid to wait on another pay raise.

Apr 16 09:58 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sun Rising

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading and commenting. Best of luck,

Apr 15 10:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mbula

Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for honoring me with your first comment on SA. I wish you well with your investing.

Apr 15 10:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Econ

You're right, when Buffett was younger and running his own fund he also excelled in obtaining higher returns. There's no doubt he is an extremely skilled investor. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Apr 15 07:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hardog

Thanks, glad you liked it. I like KO too. It's my largest position.

After I've been out cutting grass or working in the yard on a hot summer day I especially like to come in and enjoy a good cold bottle of coke.

I keep a stash of the glass bottles on hand with 4 or 5 in the refrigerator just for that reason. Pick them up by the case at Sam's Club, which is another holding (WMT) in the portfolio. And usually while there I'll pick up a large box of General Mills cereal (GIS), among other things yep, own it too. It just keeps on and on...

Apr 15 07:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    George

Thank you for hosting the CCC list on your site. Because I was late getting to comments today and in my rush to respond to each I failed to note that you provide the Drip Investing Resource Center. You and David both provide a great service to DGI's.

The site has many excellent tools available on it. Interested readers should try some of the Excel spreadsheets already created on it. Here's the link:

Thanks again,

Apr 15 07:20 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David

Yes, thanks to George as well. I missed that in his profile.

Apr 15 07:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment