Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Seeking Alpha Contributors And Commenters Pick The Best Dividend Growers For The Next 5 Years [View article]
    Bob

Well written article and really good food for thought. Should be an excellent series and the commentary is already showing good results. Take care,

Jul 3, 2015. 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Do Buybacks Benefit Dividend Growth Investors? [View article]
    Robert

Nice work. I think the answer to the question posed in the title can only be "it depends." Which, by the way, is the answer to just about every investing question concerning methodologies, tactics, strategies, etc.

Jun 20, 2015. 05:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dividend Growth Portfolio - How Did Income Hold Up During The Last Recession? [View article]
    Bob

Nice work. Illustrates nicely how important it is that if one elects to be a self-directed investor it is essential they carefully select their positions to support their goals. Take care,

Jun 20, 2015. 05:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Mike

Sweet! Hope it gets sweeter.

Jun 18, 2015. 08:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Design An Elegant Portfolio: What I've Learned From Seeking Alpha's Practitioners [View article]
    DS

I am flattered to be included in with the fine authors you referenced. You are also to be commended for the help you have provided to investors over the years. Keep up the good work. Best wishes,

Jun 16, 2015. 10:10 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Richjoy403 [View article]
    Nicholas
    Great interview and excellent series.

Rich
    What can I say but echo the other compliments above? You are one of the more astute voices I listen to on SA and always value your comments.

Jun 3, 2015. 06:59 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    "In other words, which own the stocks they have selected?"

I eat my own cooking. In Part 1 I selected KO and it is my largest position. In Part 2 I selected AAPL and I also currently own it.

May 28, 2015. 10:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 1 [View article]
    Mike

Great article idea and thanks for including me. The commentary where individual choices are dissected and attacked/defended is the real "meat on the bones" in my opinion. I absolutely love Tim and Brad's exchange because they're both eloquent and passionate defenders of their selections and provide enlightening ideas. And a shout-out to giorgiolb for my belly laugh for the day.

I'll add that what went in to my thoughts on my selection was that the idea of only owning one company meant that (1) I had to own it for the rest of my life and (2) I would not be able to change it, so no do-overs which means if I make a mistake I live with that mistake. If you think about it in those terms, and you think (hopefully) of your life extending out 25 years or more, then your selection has to be one that you think will let you live somewhat at ease with your choice for a really long time. It's like going nuclear, you want to be really sure before you pull the trigger.

Thanks again,
    May 26, 2015. 07:55 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    TSS

It would be appreciated if you would post on SA the next time you're going out on the water so we'll all know to take profits beforehand. HA! just kidding.

May 22, 2015. 07:20 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    Chowder & Dave:

These back testing strategists remind me of the definition of a consultant I heard one time: A person that can tell you 50 ways to pick up women but never knows where any are.

May 22, 2015. 07:13 PM | 20 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Investors: When Dividend Growth Slows What Should You Do? [View article]
    Hi, Bob:

A good thought provoking article. I believe that one should always monitor their investments to ensure they're achieving the objectives one set for them. I also agree that when one loses confidence in an investment it's time to take a hard look at it in the light of one's business plan goals and objectives. The trick, in my opinion, is to make sure that it's in light of the long term plans, and that the criteria to do so is based on long term fundamentals, not necessarily a reaction to short term performance. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, just expressing a thought in general.

Anyway, I haven't had much time for reading and commenting lately but I did enjoy the article. Hope you're doing well. Take care,

May 20, 2015. 05:24 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett And Losing Billions Of Dollars [View article]
    "They can pry my unrealized gains from my cold dead fingers"

Robert

Or the new slogan could be "They can pry my unrealized gains from the electronic airspace in to which they evaporated."
    Apr 23, 2015. 05:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up And Running Your Dividend Growth Investment Plan Like A Business [View article]
    O2F

I wholeheartedly agree with your premise that you need to think like a businessman when you're operating your portfolio business. And thanks for the link to my article. Best wishes,

Apr 1, 2015. 07:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: I Have A Few Questions [View article]
    Bob

Good questions you have asked and answering them could very well be an article in itself. As I read through them I kept thinking, "well that depends on what your circumstances are, or what your goals are, or what your income needs are," and so forth.

You've already started a good dialogue in the comments section. It's going to be an interesting conversation. Thanks for starting it.

Feb 25, 2015. 06:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Goal-Setting For Income Investors [View article]
    Scott

Very good discussion concerning goals and the need for having them. I am a firm believer in goal setting and I've used goals in both my personal life and professional life.

When I was in my 40's I set a goal to be financially able to retire by the age of 53. I then listed sub-goals that I needed to accomplish in order to arrive at that higher goal. Accomplishing those sub-goals helped me to remain focused on the larger goal.

It's fairly easy, and quite common, to set lofty goals but then to not remain focused on them, sort of like letting them slip to the back of our mind, where they eventually become forgotten.

To keep my mind focused on my goals, I carried an index card in my pocket with my goals on them, including the sub-goals, so that they would constantly remind me of what I was trying to accomplish. Then I would update the card by checking off a goal that had been accomplished. I don't know how many index cards I went through over the years but it was a lot. I'd wear them out and then re-write each goal again on the card.

I attended classes on goal setting and read a number of books on them. Those classses, the books, and frequently reading the index card to remind myself where I was headed helped me to stay focused like a laser beam on that goal.

I reached my goal of being financially able to retire at the age of 53 although I kept working for another year and retired in April 2008 at the age of 54. Goal setting works but we have to remain focused on it.

Today we have phones, tablets, and other tools that can be used to help keep us focused on our goals. But, as Bruce Miller listed above, we have to identify those steps that are required to help us get to that overall goal.

Hey, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Best of luck with your goals, Scott.

Feb 14, 2015. 12:16 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment