Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • One Design For A Retirement Income Portfolio [View article]
    DS

Very enjoyable read. In some areas I keep things very organized and in others not so much. But reading your article reminded me of something that happened when I went through basic training in the service.

We had to keep all of our belongings arranged in a certain way and ready for inspection. That meant everything. I had a pair of the old white military boxer shorts (veterans will relate to this) that I had never worn and had them folded perfectly and sitting on top of the others that had been worn, washed, and folded and that looked worn, washed, and folded. I thought having that nice crisp pair on top would help me pass inspection. Plus it hid the worn ones.

We had an unplanned inspection and the drill sergeant came to my locker and zeroed in on that pair of boxers. He knew exactly what I was doing and said, "isn't this cute?" Picking them up and shaking them out, he handed them to me and said "start using those."

Anyway, thanks for the good read and thanks for jogging my memory to an event well over 40 years old.

Jul 27, 2015. 07:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Second Quarter 2015 Portfolio Review - Building Quality, Income And Dividend Growth [View article]
    Bob

I think your comment is a good illustration of perspective. For the person living off dividends, and dependent on their portfolio, they want stability and dependability so they tend to want price drops to be short lived. But for the buyer who has been wanting to load up on energy companies, this is what they've been looking for. It has always seemed ironic to me that in the market what makes one person depressed makes another ecstatic.

Jul 25, 2015. 05:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rose

It always helps me in these situations to remember we've been here before. With that in mind I try to focus on the qualitative aspects of the companies I own or want to own. And watching those dividends. :)

Take care,
    Jul 25, 2015. 05:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike

I agree it's not easy, especially when you see them continue to decline in price after you buy. But that's part of our struggle as investors. We don't know how much they're going to decline in price and we only know when a bottom has been found after the fact. I've been adding them at these prices because I believe their intrinsic value is higher than what they're currently priced at and my belief that they're both quality companies who will still be in business generating profits 10 years from now. As they say, time will tell.

Jul 25, 2015. 12:19 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob

Good update. As you know we have some similarities in our portfolio. I think you hit on 3 things in your article that need to be emphasized, which is 1 - to have some key metrics to focus in on when evaluating companies for consideration in the portfolio; 2 - don't chase yield - lots of people have gotten burned by chasing after those high yields; and 3 - don't overpay. Buying at the right valuation will make a huge difference in results.

With the weakness in oil I've been adding to my positions in two of the 3 oil majors I own, XOM and CVX. Looking to add to COP also but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Also added to my KMI position.

Take care and best of luck,
    Jul 24, 2015. 07:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends & Income Digest: Once Interest Rates Rise, What Happens To Dividend Growth Stocks? [View article]
    "once interest rates rise what happens to dividend growth stocks?"

While I think there will be some variation in regard to specific companies, in general I think the same thing will happen that happened with a rise in inflation, I addressed that in an article last year (link here http://bit.ly/1M14lg3). I haven't researched it so its obviously just speculation on my part. If memory serves me correctly though interest rates also rose during the period of high inflation in the aforementioned article and dividends for the most part held up well. I'm going by C corps also which leaves out REIT's, BDC's, MLP's and so forth. And again, I stress that it's just my gut speaking.

Jul 11, 2015. 12:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha Contributors And Commenters Pick The Best Dividend Growers For The Next 5 Years [View article]
    Bob

Well written article and really good food for thought. Should be an excellent series and the commentary is already showing good results. Take care,

Jul 3, 2015. 01:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do Buybacks Benefit Dividend Growth Investors? [View article]
    Robert

Nice work. I think the answer to the question posed in the title can only be "it depends." Which, by the way, is the answer to just about every investing question concerning methodologies, tactics, strategies, etc.

Jun 20, 2015. 05:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dividend Growth Portfolio - How Did Income Hold Up During The Last Recession? [View article]
    Bob

Nice work. Illustrates nicely how important it is that if one elects to be a self-directed investor it is essential they carefully select their positions to support their goals. Take care,

Jun 20, 2015. 05:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Mike

Sweet! Hope it gets sweeter.

Jun 18, 2015. 08:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Design An Elegant Portfolio: What I've Learned From Seeking Alpha's Practitioners [View article]
    DS

I am flattered to be included in with the fine authors you referenced. You are also to be commended for the help you have provided to investors over the years. Keep up the good work. Best wishes,

Jun 16, 2015. 10:10 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Richjoy403 [View article]
    Nicholas
    Great interview and excellent series.

Rich
    What can I say but echo the other compliments above? You are one of the more astute voices I listen to on SA and always value your comments.

Jun 3, 2015. 06:59 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 2 [View article]
    "In other words, which own the stocks they have selected?"

I eat my own cooking. In Part 1 I selected KO and it is my largest position. In Part 2 I selected AAPL and I also currently own it.

May 28, 2015. 10:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The No. 1 Stock In The World - Part 1 [View article]
    Mike

Great article idea and thanks for including me. The commentary where individual choices are dissected and attacked/defended is the real "meat on the bones" in my opinion. I absolutely love Tim and Brad's exchange because they're both eloquent and passionate defenders of their selections and provide enlightening ideas. And a shout-out to giorgiolb for my belly laugh for the day.

I'll add that what went in to my thoughts on my selection was that the idea of only owning one company meant that (1) I had to own it for the rest of my life and (2) I would not be able to change it, so no do-overs which means if I make a mistake I live with that mistake. If you think about it in those terms, and you think (hopefully) of your life extending out 25 years or more, then your selection has to be one that you think will let you live somewhat at ease with your choice for a really long time. It's like going nuclear, you want to be really sure before you pull the trigger.

Thanks again,
    May 26, 2015. 07:55 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    TSS

It would be appreciated if you would post on SA the next time you're going out on the water so we'll all know to take profits beforehand. HA! just kidding.

May 22, 2015. 07:20 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment