Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    TSS

It would be appreciated if you would post on SA the next time you're going out on the water so we'll all know to take profits beforehand. HA! just kidding.

May 22, 2015. 07:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From The Grand Canyon [View article]
    Chowder & Dave:

These back testing strategists remind me of the definition of a consultant I heard one time: A person that can tell you 50 ways to pick up women but never knows where any are.

May 22, 2015. 07:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Investors: When Dividend Growth Slows What Should You Do? [View article]
    Hi, Bob:

A good thought provoking article. I believe that one should always monitor their investments to ensure they're achieving the objectives one set for them. I also agree that when one loses confidence in an investment it's time to take a hard look at it in the light of one's business plan goals and objectives. The trick, in my opinion, is to make sure that it's in light of the long term plans, and that the criteria to do so is based on long term fundamentals, not necessarily a reaction to short term performance. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, just expressing a thought in general.

Anyway, I haven't had much time for reading and commenting lately but I did enjoy the article. Hope you're doing well. Take care,

May 20, 2015. 05:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett And Losing Billions Of Dollars [View article]
    "They can pry my unrealized gains from my cold dead fingers"

Robert

Or the new slogan could be "They can pry my unrealized gains from the electronic airspace in to which they evaporated."
    Apr 23, 2015. 05:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Setting Up And Running Your Dividend Growth Investment Plan Like A Business [View article]
    O2F

I wholeheartedly agree with your premise that you need to think like a businessman when you're operating your portfolio business. And thanks for the link to my article. Best wishes,

Apr 1, 2015. 07:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: I Have A Few Questions [View article]
    Bob

Good questions you have asked and answering them could very well be an article in itself. As I read through them I kept thinking, "well that depends on what your circumstances are, or what your goals are, or what your income needs are," and so forth.

You've already started a good dialogue in the comments section. It's going to be an interesting conversation. Thanks for starting it.

Feb 25, 2015. 06:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Goal-Setting For Income Investors [View article]
    Scott

Very good discussion concerning goals and the need for having them. I am a firm believer in goal setting and I've used goals in both my personal life and professional life.

When I was in my 40's I set a goal to be financially able to retire by the age of 53. I then listed sub-goals that I needed to accomplish in order to arrive at that higher goal. Accomplishing those sub-goals helped me to remain focused on the larger goal.

It's fairly easy, and quite common, to set lofty goals but then to not remain focused on them, sort of like letting them slip to the back of our mind, where they eventually become forgotten.

To keep my mind focused on my goals, I carried an index card in my pocket with my goals on them, including the sub-goals, so that they would constantly remind me of what I was trying to accomplish. Then I would update the card by checking off a goal that had been accomplished. I don't know how many index cards I went through over the years but it was a lot. I'd wear them out and then re-write each goal again on the card.

I attended classes on goal setting and read a number of books on them. Those classses, the books, and frequently reading the index card to remind myself where I was headed helped me to stay focused like a laser beam on that goal.

I reached my goal of being financially able to retire at the age of 53 although I kept working for another year and retired in April 2008 at the age of 54. Goal setting works but we have to remain focused on it.

Today we have phones, tablets, and other tools that can be used to help keep us focused on our goals. But, as Bruce Miller listed above, we have to identify those steps that are required to help us get to that overall goal.

Hey, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Best of luck with your goals, Scott.

Feb 14, 2015. 12:16 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett's Big Oil Mistake And What His Response Tells Us [View article]
    Paul

Very well written and researched article. We have in common the practice of observing and studying Buffett's history. I believe I've learned a lot from his writings. Haven't agreed with everyone he does or says, nevertheless I acknowledge his skills and want to absorb as much as I can.

Feb 11, 2015. 08:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    Med

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

Feb 10, 2015. 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    Chump, I'm not familiar with that error message but let's check something first. Go to Excel Options and then Add-Ins. Look and see if it shows under the Active Application Add-Ins the "Stock Market Functions Add-In." It should show it and the location on the computer it's in if its set up correctly. The location should be something like C:\SMF\RCH_Stock_Marke... and then the type would be Excel Add-In.

If that's not there then that's the problem. It means the download of the zipfile didn't install correctly. If it is there then it may be in the formula settings.

Feb 10, 2015. 07:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    To All:

SA is leaving out a portion of the formula above for the number of days holding a position. It should be =TODAY immediately followed by an open parenthesis and then close parenthesis and then followed immediately by the minus sign and the cell location. There are no spaces in between any of it.

Feb 9, 2015. 11:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    MLBerk

Thanks. And thanks for the additional info.

Feb 9, 2015. 11:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Business Plan - 2015 [View article]
    Bob

Good update. I couldn't agree more about the importance of a thoughtfully considered plan. Keep beating that drum.

Feb 4, 2015. 08:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much 'Extra' Return Are You Getting If You Reinvest Dividends? [View article]
    Dave

Good article. Keep pounding the table on that compounding thing. It's going to catch on yet.

Jan 26, 2015. 07:59 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Roth Conversion Odyssey (Part 2) [View article]
    David

Excellent article describing your odyssey and one that has created an outstanding discussion on the different scenarios one can consider in making these transitions. You're the Ulysses of the Roth Conversions.

Jan 25, 2015. 03:19 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment