Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Investors: I Have A Few Questions [View article]
    Bob

Good questions you have asked and answering them could very well be an article in itself. As I read through them I kept thinking, "well that depends on what your circumstances are, or what your goals are, or what your income needs are," and so forth.

You've already started a good dialogue in the comments section. It's going to be an interesting conversation. Thanks for starting it.

Feb 25, 2015. 06:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Goal-Setting For Income Investors [View article]
    Scott

Very good discussion concerning goals and the need for having them. I am a firm believer in goal setting and I've used goals in both my personal life and professional life.

When I was in my 40's I set a goal to be financially able to retire by the age of 53. I then listed sub-goals that I needed to accomplish in order to arrive at that higher goal. Accomplishing those sub-goals helped me to remain focused on the larger goal.

It's fairly easy, and quite common, to set lofty goals but then to not remain focused on them, sort of like letting them slip to the back of our mind, where they eventually become forgotten.

To keep my mind focused on my goals, I carried an index card in my pocket with my goals on them, including the sub-goals, so that they would constantly remind me of what I was trying to accomplish. Then I would update the card by checking off a goal that had been accomplished. I don't know how many index cards I went through over the years but it was a lot. I'd wear them out and then re-write each goal again on the card.

I attended classes on goal setting and read a number of books on them. Those classses, the books, and frequently reading the index card to remind myself where I was headed helped me to stay focused like a laser beam on that goal.

I reached my goal of being financially able to retire at the age of 53 although I kept working for another year and retired in April 2008 at the age of 54. Goal setting works but we have to remain focused on it.

Today we have phones, tablets, and other tools that can be used to help keep us focused on our goals. But, as Bruce Miller listed above, we have to identify those steps that are required to help us get to that overall goal.

Hey, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Best of luck with your goals, Scott.

Feb 14, 2015. 12:16 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett's Big Oil Mistake And What His Response Tells Us [View article]
    Paul

Very well written and researched article. We have in common the practice of observing and studying Buffett's history. I believe I've learned a lot from his writings. Haven't agreed with everyone he does or says, nevertheless I acknowledge his skills and want to absorb as much as I can.

Feb 11, 2015. 08:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    Med

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

Feb 10, 2015. 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    Chump, I'm not familiar with that error message but let's check something first. Go to Excel Options and then Add-Ins. Look and see if it shows under the Active Application Add-Ins the "Stock Market Functions Add-In." It should show it and the location on the computer it's in if its set up correctly. The location should be something like C:\SMF\RCH_Stock_Marke... and then the type would be Excel Add-In.

If that's not there then that's the problem. It means the download of the zipfile didn't install correctly. If it is there then it may be in the formula settings.

Feb 10, 2015. 07:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    To All:

SA is leaving out a portion of the formula above for the number of days holding a position. It should be =TODAY immediately followed by an open parenthesis and then close parenthesis and then followed immediately by the minus sign and the cell location. There are no spaces in between any of it.

Feb 9, 2015. 11:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Time Saving Shortcut For Stock Prices [View instapost]
    MLBerk

Thanks. And thanks for the additional info.

Feb 9, 2015. 11:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Business Plan - 2015 [View article]
    Bob

Good update. I couldn't agree more about the importance of a thoughtfully considered plan. Keep beating that drum.

Feb 4, 2015. 08:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much 'Extra' Return Are You Getting If You Reinvest Dividends? [View article]
    Dave

Good article. Keep pounding the table on that compounding thing. It's going to catch on yet.

Jan 26, 2015. 07:59 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Roth Conversion Odyssey (Part 2) [View article]
    David

Excellent article describing your odyssey and one that has created an outstanding discussion on the different scenarios one can consider in making these transitions. You're the Ulysses of the Roth Conversions.

Jan 25, 2015. 03:19 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Sartre

See my response to David Van Knapp above. Maybe it will help explain the existentialism of my math.

Jan 22, 2015. 09:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Dave

Ha! It's not just new math, it's so far ahead in the R&D department it's called developmental stage math... or maybe even D.C. balanced budget national debt social security is fine math.

Actually, what I do is simply let the Excel spreadsheet I use calculate the percentage of $ value of each position in relation to the total $ value of the portfolio. The prices automatically update when I open the spreadsheet using a Yahoo Finance add on for Excel. All i have to do is open it up and I immediately know the price, the total $ value of each position, the total portfolio value, and the % of each position in relation to the total portfolio value.

These positions are across 3 different accounts but I list them as if they are all one portfolio. Where I say there are 33 positions, in the spread sheet there are 38 listed. But KO, for example, is listed twice, because it is held in the taxable account and in the IRA. So, I open up the spreadsheet tonight and it tells me that KO closed at $43.78 today and it's 4.02% in one account and 4.88% in another account, which I round off to say it's 9% of the total portfolio value. WBA is 5.23%, KMB is 1.97%, WFC is 2.58% and so forth.

The spreadsheet simply averages all those individual positions from Row 1 to Row 38. Cash is included in the total portfolio value but is not used in calculating the average position size.

To my French Philosopher friends comment below about the 15% and 5% average, what I mean is that I don't want any one position to exceed 15% of the total portfolio value. And if I were to decrease the number of smaller positions that left me with more higher valued positions but fewer positions overall, it's possible the average position size could get over 5% and I want to keep it below that 5% threshold. Which means I have to manage the total number of positions, as well as the impact of individual positions to the portfolio, and the spreadsheet helps me do that.

The 33 position number I currently have is not a constant. Since some of the positions are for speculation, I periodically add to or sell positions. It's not likely that I'll reduce the number of positions down to where a 5% average is likely, but it is mathematically possible.

Is this clear as mud?

Jan 22, 2015. 09:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Weighting Game [View article]
    Mike

Well, I admit I typed a smart-aleck comment about MAIN but deleted it, afraid someone who doesn't share my warped sense of humor might misinterpret it.

Anyway, good article and good discussion. I tend to overweight my holdings based on my thoughts of quality of the company but it's not a stenciled in stone type rule. KO is my largest position, 9% at the current time. Out of 33 positions the average position size is 2.35% but they run from 1% to 9%.

I have a general rule of thumb of what I prefer each position to be but it's more of a general guide than a rule. My investing plan says I can go up to 15% in any one position but the average can't exceed 5%.

Jan 21, 2015. 09:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Continuing Search For Quality [View article]
    DH

Thanks. As I mentioned in the article one of the factors (there are others not listed) that I use in determining quality is a strong financial/credit rating.

I believe I did own up to the mistake by describing it in the article. But I haven't decided to move on with the company just yet. I don't tend to be reactionary to my buys, including the speculative ones, allowing them time to play out. Over time that has served me well.

I have my own selling guidelines but I do appreciate the kind thoughts and the link. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Jan 17, 2015. 02:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2014 Fourth Quarter Review: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly [View article]
    Bob

I think of your quarterly updates as watching someone on a journey using their map (your business plan), making sure they're still on the correct path, traveling in the right direction, and making the progress they expected. Sometimes one may have to detour while on the journey but the detour is only to take them back to the original path.

While your travel plan has you holding stocks/businesses for the long term income, you have amply demonstrated that you may occasionally have to remove (detour) one or more of those companies from the portfolio (travel path). Or even fix a flat on the vehicle.

Your quarterly review tells me you're still on your way and meeting the goals you've set for your progress. I say job well done. Keep up the good work, my friend.

Jan 16, 2015. 07:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment