Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
    hjt

No, my account just shows it as a mandatory exchange.

Jan 2, 2015. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike

Thanks, I appreciate it. I like quality, quality tools, quality autos, quality books, quality cooking, quality companies, etc., etc. Quality has served me well in other areas of life so I don't see any reason for it not to in investing.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Mike. Best wishes for 2015.

Jan 2, 2015. 10:23 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    KeithX

Good question. I have held KO for years. And I think PEP is a good company and I have had PEP on my watch list for a long time. But the reason I have never bought it is because I haven't been able to match up a time when I had the extra money and it was at a price I was willing to pay.

For example, at the current time I have built up a little little cash, and could buy some shares, but PEP is over-valued right now so I wouldn't buy it. And if I use up all the cash on something else, it wouldn't help me if PEP came down to a fair value or discounted price.

Like I said, nothing against PEP, it's just a matter of two time requirements having to match up. Time when I have the money and time when PEP is under-valued.

Incidentally, I took the Pepsi taste test one time and picked Coke. :)

Best of luck with your investments in 2015 and beyond. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Jan 2, 2015. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Philip

Happy new year to you as well. Thanks for reading.

Jan 1, 2015. 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Portfolio: 4th Quarter 2014 Update And Year-End Review [View article]
    PTI

Nice update and good performance. Well done. Best of luck in 2015.

Jan 1, 2015. 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    chelsea07

Thanks, I appreciate you reading and commenting. Happy New Year.

Jan 1, 2015. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Brij

I answered your PM to me but the short answer to your question is yes. Many DGI's do that very thing.

Dec 31, 2014. 08:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Greg

I just noticed I said 19 companies in my portfolio. I meant the 19 "core" companies. Didn't want there to be any confusion.

Dec 31, 2014. 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    heglimp

Yes, it has been quite a while since I produced an article. Fortunately I had some free time over the Christmas and New Years holidays and sat down and typed this out.

The reason I haven't been participating much on SA was one of my former bosses called me and asked if I could come back and help with a couple of projects. He was always good to me so I agreed to help him out. This was in the middle of the year so I haven't had much free time.

Since that time some other folks found out I was back and they asked me to help on some of theirs as well. While it's nice to be wanted it can also be time consuming. Not sure how long I'll want to keep doing it. I tell them there was a reason I retired the first time.

I hope you have a wonderful new year and that 2015 treats your investments the best ever. Thanks for reading and take care,

Dec 31, 2014. 07:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul

My return has outperformed the S&P this year as well although I primarily focus on income. It's satisfying to me though that while I track income, I know that overall I'm either keeping up with or exceeding what is considered the standard index.

I've only had one loss this year that was an actual loss, i.e. realized loss. The RIG position I mentioned in the article is underwater but currently an unrealized loss.

Even though it's counts to the negative in my overall return, it hasn't been a drag because it was a small position, about 1.5%.And who knows, starting out the year in 2015 where it's at, it could perform well, But then again...

Having a portion of the portfolio set aside for short term or speculative positions allows me to be able to take advantage of those companies I see that, even though they may not meet my core requirements, are companies I would really like to own and take advantage of when I think they're appealing.

When I developed my investing plan I didn't want to box myself in with overly restrictive rules so I structured it to allow me to have flexibility for a portion of it. And it works for me. I just have to pay more attention so I don't get caught up in too many instances like I described with RIG.

Thanks for reading and commenting, hope 2015 treats you well.

Dec 31, 2014. 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot

Funny how we all have our different companies that meet our expectations isn't it? I'm not much on technology companies but have held Microsoft for a long time. In fact, it's my only tech company I have.

I like OHI for the healthcare aspect even though it's a REIT. I've seen more and more people moving to assisted living and those types of facilities as I've gotten older. I suppose that's what made me pay attention, my own aging. And it's treated me well too. I added it about 2.5 years ago and it's up over 90% so I'm not complaining.

I tend to be heavy oil companies, I suppose it's more of a personal thing. Might be because my Dad worked for one all my life. Anyway, I got in on COP at a good price a few years ago and have just continued holding.

Anyway, I hope your investments treat you well in 2015 and have a great new year.

Dec 31, 2014. 07:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rose

Happy New Year to you too. Hope 2015 treats your assiduity well!

I like reading Charlie Munger and his aphorisms and expressions.

Dec 31, 2014. 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Bob

I'm not sure you would see much if you tried to see inside my thought processes, probably just a lot of spinning air...

Hope you and your family are doing well. I found out recently I'm going to be a first time grandfather (a grandson) so we're all excited about that. Due in May 2015.

Hope you have a great 2015.

Dec 31, 2014. 07:07 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    hjt

Thanks. I noticed when I was looking at my portfolio today I had a new position in it for WBA. I knew it was coming but didn't realize it was so soon.

Dec 31, 2014. 07:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Greg

I understand your thinking on WM. They're definitely not fast growing and have struggled somewhat over the recent past. If I had to rank the 19 companies in my portfolio from best to worst, they'd probably be #19.

But, I essentially view them as a utility with a decent yield. So my expectations and the "degree of excellence" that I referred to in the article aren't quite as high as they are for say a KO or XOM.

I almost sold them one time a couple of years ago, and actually did sell part of the position but decided to hang on to a small portion. I just basically let it set there and churn dividends each quarter.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I appreciate the comment.

Dec 31, 2014. 07:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment