Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • An Open Letter To My Kids - Prepare For Your Future Now [View article]

Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure we differ since I agree compound interest works all of the time, as long as one keeps reinvesting the interest/dividends. The Rule of 72 though, as you point out, is about the length of time for doubling one's money at a given rate of interest. What's less obvious initially is the effect of the interest upon the interest reinvested. And then over time the results become much more obvious even though the compounding was occurring all the time.

I completely agree that we need to maximize the years and invest as much as we can. In the long term it pays great dividends. :-)

Thanks again for reading and commenting.

Jan 26, 2014. 06:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Snowball Down A Hill: My Dividend Growth Portfolio 2013-2014 Report [View article]

Good update and enjoyable read. In my opinion the article illustrates managing a portfolio from the viewpoint of being rational in regard to following the investing plan (your constitution) as a whole, not in regard to market/price action, or in meeting someone else's idea of what the portfolio goal should be. Good stuff.

Jan 24, 2014. 12:21 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo Isn't What You Think It Is, And Why That's Important [View article]
    Very good article, well written and thoughtful commentary. I agree WFC is well diversified. Long WFC.

Jan 22, 2014. 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: A Company With A History Of Building, Defending And Widening Its Moat [View article]
    Enjoyed the article and mostly agree with your thoughts on Microsoft's moat. I also like to consider what other options people may have for buying comparable products. For example, an electric utility can have a moat simply because of regulatory or monopolistic barriers and customers have no other realistic option.

The other concern I have in regard to a company having a moat is not necessarily a competitor attacking it but new technology attacking it. Classic example here is Kodak which at one time had a moat. Just something to consider when thinking about a specific company's moat.

Jan 15, 2014. 06:25 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dave Van Knapp Positions For 2014: The Best Dividend Growth Stocks Will Pay Out More This Year [View article]

He was a pure athlete. Just amazing.

Jan 11, 2014. 06:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Management: The Ability To Say No [View article]
    "what you don't buy is likely more important than what you do."

Good point. Not buying what we don't understand, regardless of what others say, can save us a lot of grief (and money) over our investments.
    Jan 10, 2014. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Nice interview and good explanation of a general DGI philosophy.

I especially appreciate your thoughts on price adjustments re: BP and JPM for example, although I think dividend payment adjustments have an overall negligible (read - none) effect on dividend stocks.

Jan 10, 2014. 10:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "How does DVK know..."

Because his middle name is Bo and Bo knows. :-) (That's a sports related attempt at humor.)

Jan 10, 2014. 10:23 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investments Are An Act Of Love [View instapost]

I went through the same thing with my Dad in 2006. The hospice people gave me a whole new level of appreciation for what they do. Our prayers go out to you and your family.

Jan 9, 2014. 05:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Portfolio Part 3: Due Diligence [View article]

Very good article as well as good description of your due diligence process. Now you've got to master those "balance sheets." :-)

I read somewhere that Buffett spends more time reading annual reports than anything else. Not sure if that is true or not but I think they're still a necessary component of due diligence.

Keep up the good work and good writing. I'm also long GIS. Best wishes,

Jan 9, 2014. 10:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your (Dividend Growth) Number?: Part 2 [View article]

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Funny how when you get older you can laugh and make jokes about things you wouldn't have dreamed of saying when younger.

Jan 7, 2014. 07:45 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your (Dividend Growth) Number?: Part 2 [View article]

Good article and update on your portfolio and plan. Plan your work and work your plan. What was it George Peppard always said on The "A" Team. I love it when a plan comes together. Glad it's coming together.

Jan 7, 2014. 10:33 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Your (Dividend Growth) Number?: Part 2 [View article]
    "I have decided to sell all of my KMB because I heard..."

If that's the case invest in SearsRoebuck catalogs and corncobs... It will get rough.
    Jan 7, 2014. 10:30 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Having A Pension Allows Greater Flexibility With Dividend Growth Stock Selection [View article]
    Dave & Mike

That's the exact advice I gave my kids in the open letter article ( I wrote a while back. Build a good solid foundation with some core stocks and let them compound. Later on if they want to venture out to other companies fine. But build the foundation first.

Jan 7, 2014. 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital's Dividend Sustainability Analysis (Post Fiscal Q1 2014 Earnings) [View article]
    Very thorough analysis. Long PSEC. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2014. 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment