Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Retiree: What Role Should High Yield Play In A Distribution Stage Portfolio? [View article]
    Bob

As you have shown it's vitally important to our long term success that we recognize and learn from our mistakes. Good job.

Eddie
    Dec 2 09:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Grandma's Money: Giving Her Portfolio A Charge [View article]
    DW

Nice update to Grandma's portfolio and income needs. I'm also long SO, COP, DRI, and GIS. I'm considering WEC but haven't made any final decisions yet, simply watching it at this point. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Eddie
    Nov 29 10:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Challenge-Do Not Overlook These Future Dividend Challenger Stars-Part 3 [View article]
    Chuck

Great article as usual. As a baby boomer also I agree with you concerning the spending patterns of our generation. I've been retired since 08 and my spending hasn't decreased as far as I can tell.

I suppose it could in the future at some point in regard to certain material things, but it appears that there other material things that are produced that still will be bought. For example, my 80 year old mother recently decided she needed a tablet to go with her desktop, which her very first one was bought at about age 74 or 75. And I'm considering getting a Surface Pro, not that much as a need, but simply because I want one.

I also see my spending on "things" being replaced by other requirements, such as medical insurance premiums going up and so forth. But the overall spending levels are still there. I see the same things with other acquaintances my age as well.

Personally I think we'd all be better off if the government would spend a little more effort on helping create "non-government" jobs, by making the requirements for small business owners a little less onerous, and providing incentives for work to remain in the US rather than going offshore. But that's just my opinion.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and thanks for all your contributions.

Eddie
    Nov 29 10:00 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirees: What Is The Best Choice For A Small Income Portfolio? - Part 2 [View article]
    Bob

Nice update and nice portfolio. I think you've made some good additions.

Eddie
    Nov 23 01:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Uncouple Your Investment Success From Mr. Market? [View article]
    g

I agree completely.

Eddie
    Nov 21 01:53 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Uncouple Your Investment Success From Mr. Market? [View article]
    Probably a peace prize would be the easiest. Since 2008 you don't have to actually do anything to earn it, just let people think you have the potential. Hmmm, is that sort of like some growth stocks???
    Nov 21 01:29 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Uncouple Your Investment Success From Mr. Market? [View article]
    And the moral of the story is that the old dividend ways still work, despite all the new-fangled inventions found in Nobel prized academia land.
    Nov 21 10:33 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Money Is Coming Into The Market: Don't Miss The Boat [View article]
    Miz

"Any company with a Prez/CIO who quotes Princess Bride is definitely worth a look. What a hoot!"

Inconceivable!

Eddie
    Nov 19 04:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stop The Presses: Academics Confirm That Buffett's Success Is No Mystery [View article]
    g

Me too! Which is why I always look at the prices wherever I am eating, except for my wife's of course... :-)
    Nov 18 07:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "articles like that one have finally convinced me that nobody can possibly make money consistently unless you're an indexer."

which is also why we all order the index meal when we go to a restaurant rather than selecting an individually preferred meal...
    Nov 18 06:32 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirees: What Is The Best Choice For A Small Income Portfolio? [View article]
    Bob

Once again I'm late to the party. Been hindered a little lately on my SA time. Anyway, you've gotten a lot of good suggestions for stocks to consider so I won't try to muddy the water with any other suggestions. Nice article and you're doing worthy work in helping your family members. Take care and enjoy the beach,

Eddie
    Nov 18 02:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave

An excellent article. A couple of things that jump out at me:

(1) - Buffet's stock selections are the result of doing the leg work, i.e. the due diligence we talk about so much. He looked for quality companies that could be bought when they were at a good price, which we so often refer to as under-valued, and then he was persistent, meaning he held on to them even during difficult times. In other words, a buy and hold quality companies strategy as long as they remain quality companies.

(2) - I think Buffett recognizes that being a stock picker requires hard work, since I heard him say that the average investor would be better off buying an index fund. In my opinion what he was saying was that his methodology, which includes not only buying quality stocks at the right price but the "will" to hold them through those difficult times, is not typical of the average investor. It's possible the authors recognized that with their statement ending with "have caused many other investors to rethink and retreat from their original strategies."

While I don't necessarily agree with everything Buffett says or does, I have to say that I think his investing methodology and the teaching contained in his annual letters is excellent. As is this article.

Eddie
    Nov 18 02:30 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Money Is Coming Into The Market: Don't Miss The Boat [View article]
    "The world is changing. The pace of change is insanely fast compared with only twenty or thirty years ago and that pace is accelerating."

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose (the more things change, the more they stay the same). - Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr, 1849.

"most except aapl (the perfect investment)"

With all due respect the perfect investment does not exist.

Eddie
    Nov 13 10:12 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Money Is Coming Into The Market: Don't Miss The Boat [View article]
    Dave

This article is simply chock full of good investment advice. Valuation matters, know your investment limitations, what's your objectives and time frame, dividend growth increasing at rates greater than inflation, it doesn't have to be done one specific way, etc. Well done.

Eddie
    Nov 13 10:39 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Price Is What You Pay, Value Is What You Get (Warren Buffett) [View article]
    giorgio

"It's definitely crazy to live off dividend streams"

It's so easy a caveman could do it...

Eddie