Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Brian

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it and appreciate you taking the time to respond. Best wishes,

Apr 16 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dale

Thanks.

Apr 16 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sofia

I'm sorry, my response was poorly worded. What I meant by it was that I agreed with you. Thanks,

Apr 16 11:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    wajlee

Thanks for a great comment and for honoring my article as the recipient of your first comment. Although your comment was addressed to Doug I just wanted to say I appreciate you adding to the conversation.

Apr 16 10:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave

Great comment! I especially enjoyed "Instead of the answer being, "I want the most money possible," for many it realistically becomes "I want to have enough to retire without worry."

That's exactly why I keep saying that the mindset of trying to accumulate as much as possible tends to lead one up the stair steps of risk to taking higher risk. For example, a person says I need to achieve a higher return in order to have a bigger pot of money so I need to invest in more small caps, maybe get in some more pharmaceutical or biotech companies.

Or they may say I need to branch out, take profits earlier and use those profits to repeat the process or order to grow the pie bigger. So they wind up trading rather than investing, and not only do their investment expenses (trading costs) go up but their success rate goes down. It has the effect of decreasing patience rather than increasing it. Of course not everyone follows that path but many do. Some are successful at it, many others are not.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't want a bigger pie. What I'm saying is that we should be concentrating on making wise and higher probability investments, exercising patience and understanding that the growth of the pie will come over time and through compounding of the portfolio.

For me the way to do that is through investing in dividend growth companies that pay me to exercise patience. And next year they pay me even more to exercise more patience. I enjoy sitting on my hands getting paid to wait on another pay raise.

Apr 16 09:58 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sun Rising

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading and commenting. Best of luck,

Apr 15 10:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mbula

Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for honoring me with your first comment on SA. I wish you well with your investing.

Apr 15 10:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Econ

You're right, when Buffett was younger and running his own fund he also excelled in obtaining higher returns. There's no doubt he is an extremely skilled investor. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Apr 15 07:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hardog

Thanks, glad you liked it. I like KO too. It's my largest position.

After I've been out cutting grass or working in the yard on a hot summer day I especially like to come in and enjoy a good cold bottle of coke.

I keep a stash of the glass bottles on hand with 4 or 5 in the refrigerator just for that reason. Pick them up by the case at Sam's Club, which is another holding (WMT) in the portfolio. And usually while there I'll pick up a large box of General Mills cereal (GIS), among other things yep, own it too. It just keeps on and on...

Apr 15 07:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    George

Thank you for hosting the CCC list on your site. Because I was late getting to comments today and in my rush to respond to each I failed to note that you provide the Drip Investing Resource Center. You and David both provide a great service to DGI's.

The site has many excellent tools available on it. Interested readers should try some of the Excel spreadsheets already created on it. Here's the link:

Thanks again,

Apr 15 07:20 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David

Yes, thanks to George as well. I missed that in his profile.

Apr 15 07:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob

Thank you. Hope you were able to get something out of it. Thanks for all you do to help so many investors as well. Take care, my friend.

Apr 15 05:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Chump

Hope you are doing well.

# 1 - As far as I know he doesn't rebalance in the sense many of us DGI's do, such as selling partial positions in order to "adjust" holding size to prevent a position hurting us. He is mostly buy and hold but he does occasionally sell. He has stated that his favorite holding time is forever.

# 2 - As far as I know his heavy concentration is deliberate. He has held most of his very heavy concentrations a long time. A couple of his newer investments are IBM and XOM. Of course he now has a couple of "younger" guys in helping with some of the smaller (few hundred million $) investments but he and Charlie Munger still handle the major ones.

I actually thought about looking up how long he had held each investment along with some other calculations but to be perfectly honest, I got tired. I'm not as young as I used to be. :-)

I also thought about doing weighted averages on the returns of the investment portfolio but not only was I tired I was at the point where I was tired enough that I didn't trust myself with the calculations. Since I was calculating each metric individually I simply got to the point where I said, enough is enough. So I just went with the ones I thought most applicable to my target audience, the DGI's, and that were more important to me.

Maybe someone more energetic than me can take some of those others on.

Anyway, hope you found it helpful. Take care, and looking forward to your next article.

Apr 15 05:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Zulalily

Thank you, it makes me happy that you are able to get something out of my meandering thoughts on DGI. I wish you investment success and continued happiness. Take care,

Apr 15 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Seeking Benny

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Hope your shirts continue to never wrinkle. :-)

Apr 15 05:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment