Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    " I prefer companies with low debt (but acknowledge that in some industries debt is the norm)."

I like to think of it as "manageable debt" and the more manageable the better... :-)

Aug 1 12:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Greed"

So true.
    Aug 1 12:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Scott

Good quote. It has always amazed me that Jordan got cut from his high school team the first year he tried out if I remember correctly. But a good illustration of determination to succeed. Here's another one:

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. - Albert Einstein. Imagine how much that applies to dividend growth investing.

Aug 1 12:36 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    "S&P is "selling" higher ratings on mortgage-backed securities (MBS)"

Good grief. Why is it that some things never change?

Aug 1 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    almost there

Thank you for the honor of being the recipient of your first comment. I'm glad that you found it helpful. I chuckled with your comment on your profile about the "too big to succeed" bank. Best of luck with your investments.

Aug 1 12:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave

Now that you mention it, I remember that article. It is excellent and could be used to teach a class on dividend growth investing. Your last sentence in #15 reminds me of the quote by Wayne Gretzky that he skated not to where the puck was but to where the puck was going to be. To me that is so applicable to dividend growth investing. If I had thought of it I might have used it in Habit No. 6. We invest for where the company and the dividends are going to be in the future, not where they are today. Thanks for reminding me again of these great best practices.

Aug 1 12:02 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rohits

Impulsiveness can really hurt us as investors. Believe me, I've been there so I'm glad this helps you in that area. Thanks for reading and commenting and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Aug 1 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike

I have to admit that Habit No. 3 is one of my favorites. I don't mean this to sound egotistical but I have tried over the years to make sure I understand my strengths and weaknesses and to be realistic with evaluating my own tendencies. In doing that I have learned to be more honest with myself. And I still work on it.

But it has really helped me stay away from bad investments, not that they might not be bad investments for someone else, but they would have been bad for me. I've found that I have to have a strong interest in something to make me do the in depth research that I think is required to really understand a company. And in those times when I have been tempted because of high dividend yields or fast growth, I've been able to step back and say, "wait a minute, Eddie, are you sure about this?" It has saved my bacon more than once.

I believe also that in trying to understand myself more, it has helped me be more patient with my investments. By investing in something that I understand and that I have a strong interest in, I've been more willing to just sit back and let it take its time. Hence the affinity for boring companies...

Now let me ask you a question. With your new approach and emphasis on quality companies (which I think is good), how are you defining quality?

Aug 1 11:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Golferdood

Glad you liked it. I like WAG and since I'm long on it I thought it would be a good example. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Aug 1 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob

I appreciate the feedback. Means a lot. If you don't mind let me ask you a question (and anyone else that might want to respond). I know you written often about Habit No. 1 and have a very good detailed road map. Habit No. 2 though, what do you put first?

Aug 1 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    tdolan

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the article and I appreciate you reading and giving feedback.

Aug 1 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    nygl123

Yes, a great book. I'm glad you enjoyed the article and hope you find it profitable.

Aug 1 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    harvestdividen

Thanks. Hope you enjoyed it.

Aug 1 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Raj

I used the 7 Habits when I was still working. Read the book, attended the seminar, still even have the tapes to listen to that was titled "Living the 7 Habits - Applications and Insights." Glad you enjoyed the article and thanks for reading and commenting. Best wishes,

Aug 1 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Lighthouse

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Aug 1 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment