Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Final Thoughts On Beating The S&P 500 Index From A Dividend-Growth Perspective [View article]
    db

I absolutely agree. We have to have the mindset to go the distance.

Eddie
    Aug 9, 2013. 09:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave

I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, that the 9 companies in your portfolio had a negative total return of -9.90% in 2008. It was only the worst recession in our lifetime, certainly no biggie. You must have been asleep at the wheel. I am of course being facetious and/or sarcastic. It's a great article and great job on the portfolio.

I do have one question. The volatility shown in the table, is it based on standard deviation? Just curious.

Eddie
    Aug 8, 2013. 10:43 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Doug

Great observations and great comment.

Eddie
    Aug 8, 2013. 10:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And Beating The S&P 500 [View article]
    MathRuiz

You're right. I saw that a lot when I used to run. People don't understand that what often starts out as needful exercise can turn into pure enjoyment and camaraderie. Wish I still could but back problems prohibit it. So now I have to be content with walking and an elliptical machine.

Eddie
    Aug 8, 2013. 10:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Play Ball (Part 3): Dividend Growth Prospects (And Suspects) [View article]
    Mike

Enjoyed the article. My only comment is that it is a long season and since you have quality first stringers or starters you don't have to be in any hurry to deal with the second string. Figure out if they're just in a slump or if they simply can't handle the curve. But I think you actually alluded to that in one of the comments. Best wishes,

Eddie
    Aug 8, 2013. 12:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And Beating The S&P 500 [View article]
    Being as how you live in MS it was probably "Forget ya'll" or a reasonable facsimile thereof... :-)

Eddie
    Aug 8, 2013. 12:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And Beating The S&P 500 [View article]
    ""Trade" is a four-letter word. :-)"

Synonym is lose. :-)
    Aug 8, 2013. 12:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buckets, Cisterns, Asset Allocation, And Retirement [View article]
    DW

My kids usually just roll their eyes...

Eddie
    Aug 8, 2013. 10:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buckets, Cisterns, Asset Allocation, And Retirement [View article]
    Tim

Thanks. Now can you tell me how to go to only the new comments without having to scroll through everything? :-)

Eddie
    Aug 7, 2013. 11:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buckets, Cisterns, Asset Allocation, And Retirement [View article]
    "Speaking of pie, I need to go make a batch of blueberry jam from our bumper crop this year."

Since the figs are in we're making strawberry, raspberry, and peach preserves using the figs. Will be very tasty this fall and winter with breakfast. And hard for me to tell the difference from the real thing when I eat them.
    Aug 7, 2013. 09:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And Beating The S&P 500 [View article]
    The only thing we're missing is the "kitchen sink."

Isn't that where you do the "wash, rinse, repeat?"

Eddie
    Aug 7, 2013. 06:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And Beating The S&P 500 [View article]
    You can even do it at age 54 as long as you turn 55 in the same year that you retire.

Eddie
    Aug 7, 2013. 06:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buckets, Cisterns, Asset Allocation, And Retirement [View article]
    Yeah, facts ruin many memories. Like me telling my kids I walked to school in the snow uphill both ways. :-)
    Aug 7, 2013. 06:17 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    "I learned a while ago to stop investing in the market and invest in high quality companies. There is a huge difference between the two."

Chowder - Good point. I like to say that I'm investing in companies and the market is simply the means by which I do that.

Eddie
    Aug 7, 2013. 05:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buckets, Cisterns, Asset Allocation, And Retirement [View article]
    "I thought the original sketch from Blazing Saddles?"

No, it originally was from the book and later the movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madres" with Humphrey Bogart. Classic movie. There's no telling how many times that one line has been used in other movies and TV shows though.
    Aug 7, 2013. 04:48 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment