Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Do Younger Investors Have Time To Recover From Investing Mistakes? [View instapost]
    Paul

As a matter of fact I have asked that very same question before. As you know Eisenhower was the primary driver behind the interstate highway system being built but what a lot of people don't realize is what drove (no pun intended) him. It wasn't just to connect larger cities.

Based on his military experience and influenced by the autobahn of Germany he saw in WWII, he recognized that an interstate system would provide vital transportation for military uses during national emergencies. Of course he saw the convenience for civilian uses as well, but his military background I believe drove him.

I recognize that the state routes provide safer and often just as quick trips, depending on the locality, as the interstates because of more people choosing to use the interstates. And of course the reason for that falls back to the different motivations, preferences, and destinations of the people traveling. Of course one could argue that if everyone chose to do like my son and I, then the interstates would become less crowded and we could switch back to them. :-)

To be quite candid about it I'm not real concerned about too many people switching over to the DGI highway. Here's why I feel that way:

1 - The modern financial industry, including academia, is geared toward promoting transaction based investing. In other words trading not investing. That will continue to steer people away from DGI type investing.

2 - Dividend growth investing takes patience. Our society is no longer a society willing to wait for gratification. Hence the majority of those coming to the market want quick gratification. The recent commentary on one of my articles concerning options is a good indicator of that. It's part of the "humanness" that conflicts with long term investing.

This may sound bad (in the sense of conceit), but I think it takes a certain mindset to choose to utilize the DGI methodology and stick with it over a lifetime of investing and quite frankly, I think the number of people with that mindset are in a minority.

That's not to say those that don't follow DGI are unwise, unintelligent, foolish, etc. (pick your adjective here) but I am saying it's a different mindset. And personally I think it's a wiser way to travel the investing highway.

3 - As you point out with Google, Facebook, etc., people are always looking for the next big thing. They aren't interested in the "old ways" even if those old ways have proven time after time to be the best way.

4 - There will continue to be new technology, new inventions, new requirements for services to support those new inventions, as you pointed out above, that will continue to attract a large number of investors.

5 - Benjamin Graham originally wrote The Intelligent Investor in 1949. In it he espoused the dividend methodology of investing and separated it from what he referred to as speculation. And there were others before him. Today I think what he called speculation we call trading. Regardless, since 1949 I don't think a larger proportion of people are utilizing the DGI methodology than they did in his day. People change slowly if at all.

6 - One of the reasons DGI is so "popular" at the moment is because of low interest rates and people are looking for fixed income rates that will provide a better rate of return. As soon as rates start to rise then DGI will become less popular. When that happens I still will think DGI the best way to go overall but there will be many who will start looking elsewhere for higher income rates. And I won't blame them.

7 - Fear and Greed aren't going anywhere.

So consequently, and recognizing this is purely a selfish motivation, I'm going to continue, and encourage my family and friends as well, to travel the DGI highway as the best route for investing. :-)

Oct 4 04:23 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Get Over 10% Annual Returns For 20 Years [View article]
    Tim

Point taken. Reinvesting those dividends can certainly juice the returns and if you pick quality companies growing the earnings, cash flow and dividends at the right pace, you'll do well. Even with the fuzzy logic they teach today compounding still works.

Sep 16 09:23 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Price Is What You Pay, Value Is What You Get (Warren Buffett) [View article]
    Dave

Nice article. Buying at the proper valuation and then continuing to focus on the valuation of the company can make all the difference. And yet people still can't take their eyes off of the price. Hard to understand sometimes.

Sep 13 09:28 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Needs Some Loving Too! [View article]
    "Im showing others there are better ways to invest than buying and holding..."

And I'm sure there are people over in the Options forum anxiously awaiting to here from you. And no, serious penny click action is not my goal. Thanks.

Aug 24 12:42 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Needs Some Loving Too! [View article]
    "That recent dividend increase followed four straight years of LOWER dividends"

David

There you go with those pesky little facts...

Aug 23 07:45 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buckets, Cisterns, Asset Allocation, And Retirement [View article]
    "but nothing seems to have been done about it."

And that's a shame, Robert, for a site with the quality of SA not to do something about it. It would make it so much better and less time consuming.

Aug 9 09:49 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    razor

Based on your description I'm not sure you can beat her. Electrician, plumber, floor installer (carpenter), writer, teacher, and genius on top of that. While you think you might can beat her by making fewer mistakes, your bigger mistake may be in trying to beat her. :-)

Aug 7 11:44 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buckets, Cisterns, Asset Allocation, And Retirement [View article]
    Dave

Nicely done. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Allowing oneself to form mental images is one of the reasons I like pictures, analogies, metaphors and so forth so much.

"[N]ever touching principal might lead a retiree to underspend, forsaking quality-of-life considerations and leaving more to heirs than would be optimal."

This statement is one of the things that irritates me about some advisers. What is "optimal" to leave to heirs is up to the individual leaving the money, not the adviser. And never touching principal is also up to the person owning the principal, along with the quality of life. The quality of life is often determined by one's own values and desires and if their basic needs are being met, they may be totally content. .

Aug 7 10:31 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Play Ball (Part 2): Building A Winning Dividend Growth Roster [View article]
    "Where have you seen health insurance rates double?"

Scott - I'll take a swing at it. My insurance is through Blue Cross. Actually, it's fully funded (paid) by the company from which I retired and Blue Cross just administers it but all that is behind the scenes and everything I get is from Blue Cross, with the exception of open enrollment info from my company, which is every year in Oct/Nov timeframe. In Dec 2009 I was on an 80/20 PPO plan with a $500 deductible. So in essence once I met the deductible the insurance paid 80% and I paid 20%.

Obamacare passed and was signed into law in March 2010. In the Oct 2010 open enrollment period I was notified that the 80/20 PPO plan monthly premium would be increasing. The monthly premium increase amounted to an 82% increase. As a retiree that was tough to stomach so I decided to switch.

Effective Dec 2010 I switched to a high deductible plan, called a consumer directed health plan or CDHP that required setting up an HSA. The HSA or health savings account allowed me to make contributions (subject to limits) to it throughout the year that were tax deductible. The deductible is $2,400 but it dropped my premiums back down to less than what they were with the 80/20 PPO. Since switching to the CDHP my premiums have risen a total of 55%.

If I had kept the 80/20 PPO the total monthly premium from what I was paying in November 2010 would be 111% higher.

The only good thing I can see from Obamacare is that it forced me to switch my insurance plan to one where I take more responsibility for monitoring it. But all this rhetoric I see and hear that it was going to make insurance cheaper is just that, rhetoric. Even supporters in Congress of the bill are now saying its going to be a train wreck.

I expect insurance rates to take another significant jump again next year. Heck, it hasn't even gone fully into effect and it's already caused my rates to shoot up. I can only imagine what it will do at full speed.

As a disclaimer, and to be perfectly honest, I will admit to a bias. I don't trust Congress. Period! I've learned through experience not to take anything they say at face value. I also resent them passing laws requiring the citizens to do things that they exempt themselves and their staffs from. There were members of Congress that tried to require not only the members of Congress but their staffs to submit to the Obamacare requirements but it was defeated. It's good enough for us but not good enough for them. That's the epitome of hypocrisy in my opinion.

I've also seen changes at my doctor's office since the passing of Obamacare and other so called improvements to the healthcare system. Since I have a number of physical ailments of a recurrent nature, I go to my doctor fairly regularly. Now I see my doctor required to spend time inputting information into a computer as opposed to recording it into a dictaphone and it being later transcribed into my file. I asked him an obvious question as to what it had done to his productivity and as expected he said it had slowed it down tremendously. At some point in the future I know that will impact rates.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a rant on Obamacare so I apologize for that. But for me personally, in my opinion I think it has been and will continue to be a total screwup.

Aug 5 02:14 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bogle's Views On Retirement Income [View article]
    Dave

Very informative. Like you I consider my pension part of my fixed income and when I sign up for SS it'll become part of that mix as well. And of course the portfolio is all equities with Dividend growth the objective.

I'm thinking we should consider making Bogle an honorary member of the SA DGI club (of course we might have to wink at his indexing history). Whatd'ya think? :-)

Jul 18 08:39 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What If Long-Term Dividend Investors Buy Before A Crash? [View article]
    Tim

If you were working on a finance degree you would have just written your thesis.

May 17 09:26 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends: Should I Reinvest Or Not? [View article]
    Dave & Husker

I used to keep a sign on my office wall at work that said "half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at." Good reminder for me at least to know when I needed to get help.

Apr 18 11:44 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Reluctant Spouse [View article]
    Cheryl

That is an excellent point. I remember when my wife, who is shy and doesn't like to deal with people on things she's not confident of, wouldn't go pay certain bills or do certain things in person because of that. I had to insist that she do things such as pay property taxes, gets auto tags and such so that she would know how in case something happened to me. Over the years she's become much more comfortable doing those types of things.

Apr 4 01:13 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Future Retirees - Build Your Retirement Portfolio On A Firm Foundation [View article]
    Tim

I'm not the man I used to be. I hired most of the kitchen remodeling done this time. I'm just glad we didn't have HG TV 35 years ago or I'd probably still be building. My wife watches that show with a passion and it's costing me a fortune... I guess that's what dividends are for though. :-) But I've learned it pays to keep the chief cook happy!

Apr 1 02:37 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Myths 11-15 [View article]
    D#1

I can just see it on CNBC (or at least I could if I watched it) after they finish a segment on some stock trading at such and such they say, "in other news, in the model DGI ETF, no changes in the portfolio were made, and accompanied by low volatility, the dividends continued to compound. We'll be right back after this commercial." :-)

Mar 30 06:04 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment