Eddie Herring

View Eddie Herring's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The Safety Valve Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    "SI = Seeking Ice"

Dave

I'm surprised. I'm sure that must be a typo because I know that you know that for the DGI that SI = Seeking Income. :-) Of course I guess there's the whole "fridge" thing to consider too though...

Eddie
    Jun 22 10:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aflac: Insure Your Portfolio With Value [View article]
    Roger

Congratulations on a very good first article. Nice analysis and I'm looking forward to reading more analytical articles from you.

Eddie
    Jun 18 03:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chowder Rule Vs. Figure Of Merit [View article]
    "Stock buybacks reduce future EPS (earnings per share), which may determine management bonuses, who knows?"

Is that a typo?
    Jun 11 10:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding Tunnel Vision In Your Dividend Growth Investing - Part 2 Retirement [View article]
    Rich

Thanks. I guess the way I look at going deep into due-diligence is like a quote I heard years ago, not exactly sure where I heard it, but it said, "you have to sift through a lot of dirt to find gold." And gold can be that nugget of information that says don't buy this as well as that nugget that says do buy this.

Eddie
    Jun 9 04:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Miz

Thanks. Hope you've gotten moved and settled in and everything is going your way. Take care,

Eddie
    Jun 6 09:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I had to look very close to even believe it was Buffett. I liked his comment about stocks going up without earnings increasing and "dividends not rising." Makes me wonder if he knew then where he was headed financially. Also, the things he points out 50 years later haven't really changed, have they?

Eddie
    Jun 6 01:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Bob

When I retired I thought I was still a young whippersnapper and looked forward to lots of golf and recreational activities. 3 back surgeries later the snap has gone out of the whip. I'm blessed that I'm still able to function normally for the most part but have to deal with chronic pain on a daily basis. Funny how life changes the plans we make. Take care,

Eddie
    Jun 6 12:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot

Thanks. Glad you got something out of it.

When I'm traveling (driving) I will usually always pick a McDonalds to stop for a bathroom break. I know their restrooms will generally be clean, unlike a lot of service stations and truck stops I used to stop at in my younger days. Plus I like McDonalds coffee, and at my age it means I'll be stopping again a little later down the road. Just a vicious circle. :)

Eddie
    Jun 6 10:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Happy Birthday! The Dividend Growth Portfolio Turns 5 [View article]
    Rich

You're welcome. And I don't take your comments about fees or funds as bashing professional investment folks. There are certainly some good RIA's, CFP's, and fund managers out there who provide an excellent service to their clients. But there are also those that don't, just like it is in just about anything else where there is both good and bad.

Eddie
    Jun 5 09:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Investors: Turbulence Has Returned [View article]
    trapper

I'll be happy to give you a call right "after" I pick mine up! HA!

Eddie
    May 31 09:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 5 Points For Managing My Retirement Investing Behavior [View article]
    "I think the actor in the commercial was E. G. Marshall."

I remember there used to be one where John Houseman, who had a great voice, talked about "making money the old fashioned way. They earn it." But I think that was for Smith Barney. Probably 30 years ago though.
    May 25 11:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 5 Points For Managing My Retirement Investing Behavior [View article]
    Small

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment and am glad you enjoy my articles. I'll try to keep writing as long as the brain functions... :-)

Eddie
    May 21 11:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 5 Points For Managing My Retirement Investing Behavior [View article]
    "Youse guys will never take me into the 21st Century using spreadsheets"

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Said one time that he was NOT going to grow old gracefully, he was going kicking and screaming and fighting it every step of the way.
    May 21 04:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 5 Points For Managing My Retirement Investing Behavior [View article]
    Rich

Thanks. You are absolutely right. The value of companies change just like stock prices change, maybe not as often but nevertheless they don't remain static. That's why we need to keep doing our due diligence after we buy just like before we buy. May mean we continue to add to our positions after we buy as the companies get better. Thanks for pointing that out.

Eddie
    May 21 10:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 5 Points For Managing My Retirement Investing Behavior [View article]
    Haven't tried Yahoo but I've tried other websites that allowed you to enter a portfolio on line. Just kept always coming back to my basic spreadsheet though. I must be one of those old dogs they talk about... :-)
    May 20 10:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment