Eli Hoffmann

View SA Editor Eli Hoffmann's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Coinbase to open first regulated U.S. Bitcoin exchange [View news story]
    Don't know if this is related, but Bitcoin is up strongly over the past week - now above 3.00.
    Jan 26, 2015. 03:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Strategies For Controlling My ^#&%#!@ Emotions [View instapost]
    For me, emotion control is all about position sizing - if I have enough riding on the outcome of a single position that I'm getting emotional about it, I'm in trouble. Greed and fear set in, and I'm likely to make bad decisions (sell low, buy high, etc.). I don't have any good tools to rein in greed & fear once I'm in the think. So for me, it's about prevention.

Thanks for the thought-provoking topic, Chris!
    Jan 9, 2015. 06:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jumbo: This Discount Retailer Is A Bargain [View article]
    Thanks. I was looking into this a little more and came across a snippit of a note from Piraeus: "As regards to the discount rate used in our valuation model, for each 1% rise in the 10-year Greek bond yield, the share price is affected by 6%." I don't have the full note nor access to their valuation model. I do note, however, that Jumbo's share price recently has closely tracked (inversely) changes in the 10-year yield. This can be seen here: http://bit.ly/17ppv5T
    Jan 9, 2015. 06:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jumbo: This Discount Retailer Is A Bargain [View article]
    Sure. Valuation (share price) estimates are based on, among other things, DCF analysis. If Greece 10-year bond yields continue to rise, Jumbo's cost of debt will go up, negatively impacting the value of its cash flow.

What I was asking was: What is your estimate of the impact of the volatility of Greek bond yields on Jumbo's valuation? What if yields go to 12% or 14%?
    Jan 8, 2015. 05:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jumbo: This Discount Retailer Is A Bargain [View article]
    How are Jumbo's share prices affected by rises or drops in the 10-year Greek bond yield?

Jan 8, 2015. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Write On Seeking Alpha? [View article]
    @The Rational Walk, things have changed since 2011. Specifically we don't rewrite titles for exactly the reasons you cite, but I think many other subtle but positive changes as well. That doesn't mean we don't have more ground to cover - we do.
    Dec 29, 2014. 02:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Write On Seeking Alpha? [View article]
    At this point, due to authors' sensitivity to title writing, we almost never unilaterally change titles (beyond small cosmetic changes) without consulting w. the author.

What I'd really like to do, but complex to develop, is give the authors the ability to A/B test two or three (A/B/C) titles and go with the best one.
    Dec 28, 2014. 01:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Write On Seeking Alpha? [View article]
    Please send links of "article mill" articles to integrity@seekingalpha... You can do so using your real email address, or a throwaway address.

We take feedback seriously. While we're not perfect, I believe the quality of articles has improved notably over the past two years - much of that due to the feedback of readers and what they find useful.
    Dec 22, 2014. 09:20 AM | 23 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Happy Christmas [View instapost]
    Thanks Chris! To you and yours.
    Dec 19, 2014. 08:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Auspex Ahead Of Pivotal Phase 3 Data In December 2014 [View article]
    Wow, great call.
    Dec 17, 2014. 04:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Long Run Exploration Sustain Its 30% Dividend Yield? [View article]
    As TheBaronInvesting notes in a StockTalk, Long Run seems to have pulled the presentation from the website. Does anyone have a copy they can post here?
    Dec 13, 2014. 03:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha Reaches 4 Million Registered Users; Here Are The Numbers That Really Matter [View article]
    That's a line chart, not a bar chart. The range on the line chart is a result of weekday peaks and weekend troughs.
    Dec 11, 2014. 03:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Search a 'compelling thesis' - Deutsche Bank [View news story]
    Great comment. To boot, DB was touting the stock when it was still trading in the eights - now down to $7.29 as of today's close.

Still, their comments were based on confidence in management's ability to execute and grow, rather than on short-term oil-price-related pressures, so will be interesting to see whether this turns around.
    Dec 9, 2014. 03:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Viggle: Broken Business Model, Questionable Governance And Looming Capital Deficiency All Offer Substantial Downside [View article]
    Thanks, that was an auto-tagging issue that I've fixed.
    Dec 4, 2014. 02:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment