Elliott R. Morss

View Elliott R. Morss' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Greece Is Not The Only Country Facing Severe Economic Challenges... [View article]
    ku:

In my view, current discussions are irrelevant "noise".

Greece cannot survive in the Eurozone.
    Apr 19, 2015. 08:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    joe:

The "opposite of austerity" might be what Obama and Bernanke did to get the US out of the worst depression since 1929: Obama ran the largest government deficits Congress would let him run and Bernanke bought up debt like there was no tomorrow.

And I think it worked. The US economy is on a steady recovery path.
    Apr 17, 2015. 08:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    toniopuca:

The IMF has been silent recently. They tried austerity in Greece, learned it would not work, and now only asserts that the Greek debt is not sustainable. In short, they are no longer part of the "austerity bloc.

I believe the best thing for Greece to do right now is ask the IMF to:

1. assist it with reducing its debt burden (another partial default) and

2. re-launching its own currency.

Keep in mind that Greece, with IMF support, wrote off 53% of its debt in 2012.
    Mar 31, 2015. 09:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    LQ:

Thanks for your comment. But on China, we see things quite differently.

According to the criteria I used in the article, China has one of the strongest economies in the world. Even with the slowdown, its GDP is projected to grow 7% this year and its unemployment rate is just over 4%. The government sector has better financial management than any country I know: its deficit is only 0.5% GDP and its govt debt to GDP ratio is a modest 40% and it runs a current account surplus.

Being a natural resource poor country, China does face serious challenges in the years ahead (energy and water). But I believe its economic management is excellent.
    Mar 30, 2015. 08:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Cancel Your Phone, TV And Internet Service Contracts? [View article]
    HaveD:

You know a lot more about the "communication capacities" of different transfer vehicles than I, and many other SA readers. So let me ask a couple of questions.

I know that most digital info travels via cables, including cell phone traffic. However, how nice it would be if the final transit of info into and out of your home was done without wiring but via a hotspot signal from a cell phone connection.

Do you think we would run into serious capacity issues if large numbers started using cell phone hot spots as their primary Internet vehicle?
    Mar 17, 2015. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think what KarinCA (see above) has done is the future.

We will no longer need wires into our home. We will get all the connectivity we need from cell phone generated hot spots. We will pay per view for anything we want to see from TV.
    Mar 17, 2015. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    HaveD:
    Thanks. Think you are right. Have requested SA to change.
    Mar 16, 2015. 08:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I used Trailing P/E (ttm, intraday) of 8.1 from Yahoo F.
    Mar 16, 2015. 05:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Karin:
    Your experience is most interesting. I wondered about the capacity of hot spots. But your experience suggests that even now, we don't really need the ISPs - just cell phones with hot spot apps. Fortunately for the ISPs, human behavior changes lag substantially behind technology advances. As a result, people still frequent department stores....
    Mar 16, 2015. 05:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan Real Estate: What The 4th Quarter Report Tell Us [View article]
    Marco:
    I am a long term investor.

Unless the company makes some major mistakes, I expect to see major improvements reported in the next couple of quarters. Those reports should get the stock to $6.

At that point, I will take a closer look.
    Mar 9, 2015. 07:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan Real Estate: What The 4th Quarter Report Tell Us [View article]
    Here is a history of XIN dividend announcements - http://bit.ly/1x5Ekkm.

Up to XIN to decide when and how much.
    Mar 7, 2015. 11:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan Real Estate: What The 4th Quarter Report Tell Us [View article]
    Koko:
    Thanks for comment. I am not as worried as you about inventories. When inventories get too high, RE companies cut prices. But as Table 3 indicates, there has been very little price slippage for XIN.

And going forward, do keep in mind the population and GDP per capita growth rates of the cities where XIN is building. These are just what a "high end" builder like XIN wants.

And with the government taking further steps to re-fuel the real estate sector, XIN is in the right places at the right time.

Can a RE company still screw things up through bad management? Yes. Real estate investments carry significant risk.
    Mar 5, 2015. 09:57 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan Real Estate: What The 4th Quarter Report Tell Us [View article]
    Finland and Shawn:

Thanks for straightening this out. What a relief!
    Mar 4, 2015. 09:14 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan Real Estate: What To Look For Going Forward [View article]
    CPA:

Second guess if you want.

I am a long term investor. I would not have purchased XIN if I did not believe the people running it knew what they were doing.

Keep in mind that their interests via their stock option plans are aligned with ours.

So if they decide it is a better investment to put free cash into purchasing more RE than palliatives (buybacks/dividends) for their ST investors, I say OK.
    Feb 23, 2015. 08:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan Real Estate: What To Look For Going Forward [View article]
    Charlie:

I and other readers would like you explain what is wrong with the inventory and sales section.
    Feb 23, 2015. 05:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment