Equitable Research

View Equitable Research's Comments BY TICKER:

• Hargreaves Services: A Value Investor In Disguise [View article]
    This looks like on Yahoo Finance like it traded down in the 200s (GBP) in 2006 right when it got listed but on Google Finance the low looks to be around 400 and says it first traded in 2009. Do you know which one is accurate or what is the actual all-time low and when it actually began trading? Did something happen with the stock between 2006 and 2009 to account for the discrepancy?
    May 13, 2015. 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fake Bid For Rocket Fuel Is Just A Speed Bump On Its Way To Zero [View article]
    If FUEL's technology is useless than why do they retain revenue higher than pretty much any other ad tech company?
    May 13, 2015. 01:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    And yes it looks like FUEL will end up being sold. Dangerous to short here. The technology is still considered a winner despite the obvious mess of a company that is unlikely to survive on its own (like almost every independent ad tech company). It can easily go for a 50%-100% premium from here. If there are no buyers then it could sell off in to the mid-single digits. But it is a risky short either way.
    May 13, 2015. 11:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chahal's criminal record is for domestic assault. So that should be clear that its not finance related.
    May 13, 2015. 11:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vipshop: We Are Not Buying The Financial Statements [View article]
    Nice first article. I looked at VIPS right after the IPO a few years ago noting the sell-off and the massive Sequoia stake. That was at $4 (pre-split). Since then it has moved up almost 10,000%. Luckily I never shorted it but certainly thought about it on the way up as I didn't like it enough to buy it at $200M valuation and now being worth $15B it has entered the realm of silliness. Many have lost their shirts getting in front of it. If I recall, Whitney Tilson has been short this for at least a year. I don't know if he still is. But likely what you are pointing out is part of the reason why. On a fundamental level the business model of flash sales has for sure seen its best days and has peaked.
    May 12, 2015. 03:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hargreaves Services: A Value Investor In Disguise [View article]
    It is an interesting discussion on its own. I tend to agree with the London issue being the better play here as the ADR has literally zero volume. I did buy another miner today that trades on the JSE but I bought the ADR and got it a little cheaper and in USD and for less trading fees than if I went direct to the JSE and had to convert cash to ZAR and then back again to USD. I generally buy the ADR if it is only a few percent higher and there is reasonable liquidity. In the case of Hargreaves the ADR has no liquidity so I think the original issue is the only answer. Any dividend expectations going forward? What I do like is that there is no foreign withholding tax on dividends on the London exchange (apart from REIT investments). One risk here is on the cost side as the GBP has strengthened considerably the past few weeks from 1.46 to 1.56.
    May 11, 2015. 08:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup may plead guilty in forex case [View news story]
    Well its only forex rigging... Not like anybody rolled through a stop sign or was caught smoking a joint in the park or anything.
    May 11, 2015. 05:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hargreaves Services: A Value Investor In Disguise [View article]
    Does anybody know if the super thinly traded ADR of this pay dividends? To me the USD ADR is more attractive as I wont have to convert to GBP.
    May 11, 2015. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Announcing Seeking Alpha's Contrarian Contest Winners [View article]
    Congrats to the winners. I look forward to the next contest. Thanks for organizing it Daniel.
    May 11, 2015. 10:51 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Turtle Beach - Tune Out The Noise And Buy Potential Multi-Bagger [View article]
    Actually on the call they said they wont rule out an equity raise.
    May 11, 2015. 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It is true Derek. From the call:

"due to the high concentration of sales and more so EBITDA in our fourth quarter we are pursuing a $20 million term loan to augment our ABL facility with Bank of America and provide the business with the ample liquidity"
    May 10, 2015. 10:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Yet Another Reason To Like CORN: A Low Valuation Relative To Gold [View article]
    "Corn and bean prices reflect pure supply and demand reports and projections"

---> This is false as it ignores the huge amount of speculation in the markets. Fundamentals for corn right now are extremely bullish yet it is being massively shorted by funds but being bought by the commercials so its been a slow roll down. I have no position in corn at the moment but am considering getting long here but wanted to point out that the markets are not simply driven by reports or fundamentals.
    May 10, 2015. 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jefferies Might Be Right About Skullcandy [View article]
    There can certainly be dilution with HEAR as they didn't dismiss an equity raise as a funding option on the call. Since they are tripping covenants left and right it is unclear how successful they will be in the debt market. I was rather disappointed of the immediate need for such a substantial amount of cash. I still maintain that the gaming cycle is playing out and that this is the early stages and HEAR is still the leader although its market share is declining. This time next year the stock price should be higher as Q4 2015 will be one of the biggest quarters ever for gaming peripherals. Any traction with Hypersound will be an unexpected positive. I think the street expects it to fail - other than Michael Pachter who has been thoroughly embarrassed from the start of his disastrous coverage of HEAR.
    May 10, 2015. 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rosetta Stone: Make A Profit By Putting Your Ego Aside [View article]
    I listened to the analyst questions. I wanted to hear Roumell's comments and there is no transcript here. This was possibly the funniest call I've ever heard. The execs are completely clueless. At one point they broke out laughing because they realized they were just speaking nonsense. It was very awkward. What a bumbling bunch of idiots. Not sure what Roumell sees in this company. It is toxic on an idiot level.
    May 8, 2015. 09:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Harmony Gold Mining Disappoints [View article]
    A little bit of a short sighted and headline review analysis as you missed the big news. Harmony Gold is looking to spin off Golpu to benefit shareholders.
    May 8, 2015. 05:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment