Equitable Research

View Equitable Research's Comments BY TICKER:

• Is The Bottom In For Coal? Interviewing Vic Svec Of Peabody To Find Out [View article]
    The social costs of mining and even fracking are so high right now that I would be floored if the prices aren't significantly higher for all fossil fuels 5 years from now. Simple economics...
    Jun 21, 2015. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    J - As for "safe" coal companies. I prefer Whitehaven Coal on the ASX. It is still trading near historic lows and it has a balance sheet pretty much in line with Cloud Peak (perhaps a little weaker but it has much stronger cash flow and prospects to support it), but it has a the cleanest coal product that is in far greater demand and a much better competitive position servicing primarily the pro-coal Japanese market. Also it has the local Australian government firmly on its side versus the US government which is anti-coal. Operationally it is exceeding expectations with the opening of a new world class mine ahead of schedule. Environmentalists hate it and have tried to destroy it with bad PR. But that is all moot. Take a look at it.
    Jun 21, 2015. 04:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Just off the top of my head I could list dozens of highly profitable coal companies. Somebody else already listed a bunch in China. The "crisis" is a US one. Outside of the US many coal companies are pressured (some significantly) but are still doing well or at least OK.
    Jun 21, 2015. 11:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Liquidity Services Is A Takeover Candidate With Safety And Upside [View article]
    Thanks Johns - I haven't dealt with the company in well over a year. Like I said I am a "disgruntled customer" on the merchant side. I have not done any analysis if the company beyond that. I simply would urge people to speak to customers (as they should before making any investment). Sometime having customers that hate you isn't really indicative of a problem. Most merchants hate dealing with Amazon but customers love them. Groupon on the other hand is one with equaly customer and merchant disdain and we see how bad that company is doing. Ebay is pleasant to deal with as a buyer and seller. These are just my own experiences. Off the top of my head both Higher One and Green Dot are hated universally by customers but still make good money. Although both stocks are in the gutter as a result of that.
    Jun 21, 2015. 11:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cloud Peak Energy - Investors' Current Hatred Of Coal Has Made This A Compelling Value [View article]
    Gotta keep coming back to the railroads screwing CLD. I'm not sure how they can make money in this environment with literally everything else working against them also.
    Jun 20, 2015. 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bullet Point Breakdown Of EXCO Resources' Turnaround Strategy [View article]
    What happened to this stock today?
    Jun 19, 2015. 11:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The way they frack for natural gas it ain't so green. Also nuclear is a wreck in most places. Look what happened the other day with Energy Resources of Australia. Stock dropped about 75% in a few days because of a mine being closed. Everybody (other than shareholders and the company) is so happy as nobody wants nuclear in their backyard. Japan also prime example of what happens with nuclear goes wrong. Fuel cells are green but still pricey. So is wind and solar. The problem with coal in the US is cheap natural gas. Abroad coal is equally as hated. The difference is there isn't much of a cheap substitute.
    Jun 19, 2015. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Who says I listen to presidential candidates? I couldnt care less who wins any election. I just try to monetize every event.
    Jun 19, 2015. 09:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Show me a profitable coal company"

- This is why I didn't actually read a coal article by Alex Pitti.
    Jun 19, 2015. 09:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Report: Peabody Energy may sell Queensland coal assets [View news story]
    Japan is still very particular about the coal they buy. BTU's Queensland coal just isn't high quality enough.
    Jun 19, 2015. 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I speak to investor relations people all the time to get info or clarifications on things but any opinion they have on the success of the company needs to be disregarded. Remember their only job is to SELL STOCK to sheeple that believe what they say. That is why I disregard most corporate presentations and focus on filings and my own research. This guy from BTU has been over the top bullish for years. Read his Twitter. He calls shareholders "smart" for buying months ago when the share price was triple. Regardless I am long coal but am very careful where to play it. I think BTU has a chance of becoming another casualty. Finally today they are dumping their Australian assets and admitting they cant compete there against higher quality producers like Whitehaven. That asset was the reason many are long or still long BTU. And there are no buyers.
    Jun 19, 2015. 09:27 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dry Bulk Pair Trade: Buy Star Bulk Carriers, Sell Scorpio Bulkers [View article]
    Nothing wrong with changing your opinion and even going the other way. There is money to be made on both sides of the coin particularly with companies that have weak balance sheets and trade mostly on expectations. These companies are going to trade on sentiment. Right now it is pretty bad although the last couple days have seen a decent rally based on the BDI rally. Note that SALT was down today despite that. I don't have any positions in any of these companies but I like the SBLK risk/reward. I don't really understand the industry and all the dynamics at work but J seems to have a good grip on it. Seems that owning this sector is a good proxy on the strength of hard assets. I have been scared away from taking any meaningful position though because of the bad balance sheets even the best players have and the historical nature of incestuous Greek management. For a small bet though the risk/reward seems good though as J says SBLK can be a multi-bagger. But you have to sell the rips on these.
    Jun 18, 2015. 05:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Star Bulk Announces the Sale of M/V Star Mega [View article]
    And how can they release this news without releasing the price?
    Jun 18, 2015. 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Star Bulk Announces the Sale of M/V Star Mega [View article]
    Only the dry bulk shippers have to put "to an unaffiliated third party" because usually the transactions are so incestuous in this sector.
    Jun 18, 2015. 04:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter's Project Lightning will let users follow events instead of people [View news story]
    Don't they do this already by curating content by hashtag?
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment