Equitable Research

View Equitable Research's Comments BY TICKER:

• Peabody Is My Favorite Idea That Everyone Knows, But That No One Understands [View article]
    Yes that is what I'm hoping for. I watched PBR but never jumped in. 50% in a couple weeks would be nice. I'll probably sell after 25%. Sentiment is so bad here it won't be like this forever. It should at least trade for $6 even under a worst case scenario.
    May 16, 2015. 02:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Periscope From The Inside: A Reason To Buy Twitter [View article]
    I owned at ton of FB stock at < $20 when people were saying that. I also think that buying TWTR for exposure to Periscope is a lot like buying a Ferrari to get a free pair of shoes that might come with it. Long term TWTR is a zero as there is no way it will ever make any money. 6 months it could be higher or lower I don't know. Depends how much they pump the stock. Right now they aren't even doing that well. Certainly getting long any speculative tech stock right now makes little sense and TWTR is one of the worst as it is super questionable on all fronts.
    May 16, 2015. 02:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Whilliam - Have you ever looked at Whitehaven Coal on the ASX?

I'm looking to diversify away from the USD where possible.

Any other International coal plays to look at?

It seems coal has rebounded a little the past couple weeks. But Peabody has only fallen further.

The sentiment here has shifted even beyond extremely negative.

I bought significantly at the close yesterday. Not sure how long I'm going to hold it though.
    May 16, 2015. 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Work Remotely [View instapost]
    You can solve this by never using a desktop. I do 90% of my "work" on mobile. Mostly in a hammock or at my swim up bar.
    May 16, 2015. 01:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold pushes past $1,200 as world's "biggest pawnbroker" makes deal [View news story]
    One of the dumber comments ever written on this site (which says alot).
    May 16, 2015. 01:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Periscope From The Inside: A Reason To Buy Twitter [View article]
    Periscope is an interesting gimmick but buying TWTR right now is financial suicide.
    May 16, 2015. 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • When Are Interest Rates Going To Normalize? What We're Watching For... [View article]
    There is no way rates will be raised. The economic data has been terrible. Retail sales were a disaster and that was the start of spring. No more bad weather excuses can be used. QE4 a likelihood. Especially with the presidential elections around the corner. This has also created a massive bubble in "dividend growth" stocks. You can see it yourself here on Seeking Alpha. Zero cash interest rates combined with an aging population and the public is paying record valuations chasing yields. There is no way this ends well.
    May 16, 2015. 01:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • South Africa's AMCU union wants gold miners to double minimum pay [View news story]
    I think the platinum market is heavily manipulated and right now it is short but that will whipsaw long at some point in the next 12 months I think as the supply crunch becomes evident. What I like about platinum is that the Chinese favor it for jewelry and that should spur demand. Supply is tight and labor problems dominate the world's big supply hubs (mostly South Africa and Zimbabwe). Lomnin is interesting as it has some Canadian operations that are much lower risk but being priced as high risk. Like any mining company if the price of the metal goes down the equity will go down. Although I wrote about IAG a month ago here and gold has gone up only 1% since but the stock is up 15%. That is the outperformance I'm looking for and think that HMY is an even better bet than IAG so I shifted in to that the past couple days given the recent price discrepancy. I have Lonmin on my short list. I don't pay much attention to the analysts but the market did today as Impala went up and Lonmin down as Goldman Sachs upgraded Impala to buy. Impala has an interesting story with their platinum fuel cell technology driving power at their mines. Although its in its infancy but if they can get it to work it can solve alot of operational problems with the Eskom power shortages.
    May 15, 2015. 07:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    True but the discount to the JSE listing made it worth it for me. It is still discounted even on the ask. But yes, bid/ask can be as much as a couple percent if you want quantity. There are shares there if you pay the ask. Going between bid and ask won't get filled though. What is your thoughts on Lonmin? I looked at it but bought Implats instead but still considering it. I like how it trades on LON very liquid and a lot cheaper trading fees than the JSE which has stamp tax etc...
    May 15, 2015. 06:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    When I started buying there was about a 5% value gap with the ADR versus on the JSE. Seems to have closed though. But I'm going to stick with the JSE just to keep my Harmony holdings uniform. Makes more sense now buying the ADR if you are American and not be burdened by the exchange. I bought the Implats ADR (IMPUY) because its actually cheaper than on the JSE. There are also small dividend benefits for buying direct from the exchange but Harmony doesn't pay a dividend right now although they might if they monetize Golpu and then dividend it out. Just speculation though and not reason to buy the JSE over the ADR.
    May 15, 2015. 05:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Goldman Sachs upgraded Implats today after earnings. All is not terrible in South Africa despite the fears that suggest otherwise.
    May 15, 2015. 05:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I added today - again on the JSE - and note that Deutsche Bank valued Golpu at $9.9B in 2011. Harmony owns half of it after selling half for $525M to Newcrest in 2008. Every time they explore the results get better and better from this land. Plus on the call a week ago the CEO said they will be looking to monetize it now for shareholders. I suspect it will either be sold or spun-off. Either way the core Harmony share price will rise. This will happen within the year as the CEO said. Golpu is worth more than Harmony's current market valuation by a long shot. I'm going to detail this an article as its a real misunderstood opportunity at play. The CEO also said that they could sit it out and might just do that as the labor talks go. One thing they wont do is continue to mine for a loss. Operation is getting tighter and the AISC is dropping and they could be close to profitability now given the recent surge in gold this week.
    May 15, 2015. 05:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Repricing Amazon's Secret Sauce With Netflix At $600 [View article]
    Is this for real? You are saying that AMZN is *undervalued* because NFLX is so *overvalued*???

Incredible...
    May 15, 2015. 12:46 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Work Remotely [View instapost]
    I started off living in Barbados in my early 20's which is paradise as far as the weather goes and crystal clear water and white sand beaches. Internet wasn't entirely reliable but was good enough to trade and make VOIP calls (before Skype existed). It is a beautiful island however and I still spend at least a month a year there. I have been living in Costa Rica the past 10 years. Certainly times have changed as fibre optics have made even remote places livable and workable. I don't actually "work" other than writing a few articles here and there but I do that for fun because I am a nerd. I have to say though, once you spend considerable time in the tropics its very difficult to even think about going back to the "real world".
    May 15, 2015. 12:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Work Remotely [View instapost]
    Best part of the post ---> "Meetings are mostly pointless anyway"

Can't agree more!

And I've been "remote" even before reliable internet existed in those parts.

I think if I sat in an office all day I would be trading every tick of corn. A zero sum game. I need to be distracted and nothing better than being in paradise to calm the nerves and allow me to have the conviction I need to see my positions out.
    May 15, 2015. 11:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment