Equitable Research

View Equitable Research's Comments BY TICKER:

• Fed still on track for rate hike(s) this year [View news story]
    The spending is driven by easy credit and record low interest rates. 7 year car loans and 30 year ARM's. Imagine how poor Americans are if they can't afford interest on a 30 year mortgage at 2 or 3% that they need a variable rate. Its crazy.
    Jun 17, 2015. 07:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Liquidity Services Is A Takeover Candidate With Safety And Upside [View article]
    Chris - Read my comments in this article last April after the first leg down. It was trading around $15-$20 at the time. Everybody was very bullish after the selloff. But what I posted is still true. I took a lot of heat. I never analyzed the company as a stock but as a user I can tell you that it isn't investable. This company is impossible to deal with. Until that changes I don't think it is worth anything. I urge you to talk to some customers of liquidation.com. eBay is a dream platform compared to this train wreck in terms of usability. So I can't get behind this story without major operational changes and we haven't seen any yet. I've created a lot of products and frankly most fail (offset by a handful of massive successes) and I would love a channel like this to work for me but the people running the company from customer service to management are inept. It is true I am a disgruntled customer:

Jun 17, 2015. 07:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cloud Peak Energy - Investors' Current Hatred Of Coal Has Made This A Compelling Value [View article]
    Seems to be a pretty accurate indicator historically. Any message board that is. Also there is a tide of bullish articles on CLD, same as the tide of bullish BTU articles a month or so ago and that stock has dropped 50% since despite many being well thought out and sensical. Even value investors like ourselves are usually early (often quite early). I think CLD will be much higher than where its at in a few years but I still think it has a good chance of going sub-$3. I'm still on the fence here. Considering this or SBLK (as we discussed in the other thread). I am more convinced than ever that basic materials and primarily metals are going to be the next multi-baggers so all these companies with better than average balance sheets will win. Just question of which one will get me the best return and safely so I can sleep at night and not obsess over waking up to a bankruptcy notice like perhaps BTU (even though its unlikely it remains possible). Clearly CLD is safer than most but people are talking about it like its balance sheet is pristine and it really isn't.
    Jun 17, 2015. 05:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes it seems there too much optimism still here yet the bond market is relatively pessimistic. I'm still watching and it made a nice move up today but under average volume. I think the actual default risks are understated here. Really reminds me of BTU talks even a few months ago now everybody is scrambling to sell.
    Jun 17, 2015. 04:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed still on track for rate hike(s) this year [View news story]
    The main winner here is gold. And the runner up is hard assets. The market hasn't fully digested this yet but I've been saying for months and months now that the fed will never raise interest rates and after each data release its becoming more and more clear that this is true. It is simply posturing. The closer you get to 2016 and the elections it will never happen.
    Jun 17, 2015. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed still on track for rate hike(s) this year [View news story]
    It will actually happen because of consumer saving and real production in the economy. Neither of which is happening.
    Jun 17, 2015. 02:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diana Shipping Offers Stability For Drybulk Speculators [View article]
    Thanks for your opinion J.

Just an off the wall question but curious.

I don't own either one. I do own Whitehaven Coal on the ASX however.

Take a look at it. Doesn't have the same political implications as the US companies. Although the environmentalists hate it just as much.
    Jun 17, 2015. 01:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes... I might be too negative on PRB. I know there are some smart guys here like you J who know infinite times more than I do about the coal industry. I just see something selling for $10 a ton versus my Whitehaven's Newcastle coal that sells for $60 and think there is something wrong with the product. Simplistic view I have but seems like no margin of error selling something for $10 a ton. Seems they are getting screwed by the railways.
    Jun 17, 2015. 12:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diana Shipping Offers Stability For Drybulk Speculators [View article]
    Weird question but if you had to pick between SBLK and CLD as a 2 year hold which would it be?
    Jun 17, 2015. 12:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diana Shipping Offers Stability For Drybulk Speculators [View article]
    I'm thinking of doing some bottom feeding this week and either picking up one of these dry bulkers or a coal miner. They sort of both move on the same sentiment. Any thoughts here as to which offers more upside? Both industries really at historic lows right now.
    Jun 16, 2015. 10:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I would say they both are "Kodak". I'm pretty bearish on the US coal industry but bullish in other regions in specific scenarios.
    Jun 16, 2015. 10:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vape Holdings: Hot Marijuana Stock With A Ridiculous $235 Million Market Valuation [View article]
    Just an update here. This has hit my target price of $0.40 from $37 and I am closing this short recommendation.
    Jun 16, 2015. 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It is a fairly simple thesis. I'm bearish on the stock price. Don't think it has bottomed yet. I have my eye on it. I think PRB is weak but perhaps its stronger than other US coal but I'm bearish on all US coal but bullish on high quality Australian Newcastle coal for instance.
    Jun 16, 2015. 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I haven't really done much analysis here Matthew. It just seems that they see a need to raise capital or they wouldn't have proposed a share offering a few months ago.
    Jun 15, 2015. 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Coal is definitely super negative but CLD sentiment is still relatively positive versus the other US players.
    Jun 15, 2015. 11:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment