Equitable Research

View Equitable Research's Comments BY TICKER:

• South Africa's AMCU union wants gold miners to double minimum pay [View news story]
    I added today - again on the JSE - and note that Deutsche Bank valued Golpu at $9.9B in 2011. Harmony owns half of it after selling half for $525M to Newcrest in 2008. Every time they explore the results get better and better from this land. Plus on the call a week ago the CEO said they will be looking to monetize it now for shareholders. I suspect it will either be sold or spun-off. Either way the core Harmony share price will rise. This will happen within the year as the CEO said. Golpu is worth more than Harmony's current market valuation by a long shot. I'm going to detail this an article as its a real misunderstood opportunity at play. The CEO also said that they could sit it out and might just do that as the labor talks go. One thing they wont do is continue to mine for a loss. Operation is getting tighter and the AISC is dropping and they could be close to profitability now given the recent surge in gold this week.
    May 15, 2015. 05:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Repricing Amazon's Secret Sauce With Netflix At $600 [View article]
    Is this for real? You are saying that AMZN is *undervalued* because NFLX is so *overvalued*???

Incredible...
    May 15, 2015. 12:46 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Work Remotely [View instapost]
    I started off living in Barbados in my early 20's which is paradise as far as the weather goes and crystal clear water and white sand beaches. Internet wasn't entirely reliable but was good enough to trade and make VOIP calls (before Skype existed). It is a beautiful island however and I still spend at least a month a year there. I have been living in Costa Rica the past 10 years. Certainly times have changed as fibre optics have made even remote places livable and workable. I don't actually "work" other than writing a few articles here and there but I do that for fun because I am a nerd. I have to say though, once you spend considerable time in the tropics its very difficult to even think about going back to the "real world".
    May 15, 2015. 12:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Work Remotely [View instapost]
    Best part of the post ---> "Meetings are mostly pointless anyway"

Can't agree more!

And I've been "remote" even before reliable internet existed in those parts.

I think if I sat in an office all day I would be trading every tick of corn. A zero sum game. I need to be distracted and nothing better than being in paradise to calm the nerves and allow me to have the conviction I need to see my positions out.
    May 15, 2015. 11:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I bought some Implats also. Good results. Labor problems behind it. Trading at all-time lows. Sentiment really bad in the sector but that will shift. Some of them aren't affected by the negative sentiment yet some get hammered. Will even out over time.
    May 15, 2015. 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I bought some HMY today but on the JSE. In a little early as it continued to drop like a rock all day but I think the move is overdone. The price of gold has rocketed higher and monetizing Golpu is right around the corner. I think sentiment on this one is far too negative.
    May 14, 2015. 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shale oil producers ready to bring rigs back into service [View news story]
    Good thing for these companies is many have made huge expense line reductions in the interim so will be much leaner coming back. Like most companies following the 2009 lows.
    May 14, 2015. 04:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Covisint Corporation: Former Spinoff Trading At Attractive Valuations [View article]
    Given COVS pathetic margins and negative growth, I don't think you can use EV/sales to value it especially calling it "cheap". It really tries to sell itself like a SaaS but shouldn't be valued as one IMO.
    May 13, 2015. 09:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't see how you can call COVS "cheap" as it is losing tons of cash with no end in sight. What valuation criteria did you use to determine that it is "cheap"?
    May 13, 2015. 08:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GLD: Something's Gotta Give [View article]
    I own a lot of platinum by proxy through my shares in Implats. Don't know a better way to own platinum? I'm bullish on the metal and Implats trading at all-time lows yet it produces 22% of the world's platinum. Labor problems are behind it as well at good rates (cheaper than what Harmony is offering and getting rejected).
    May 13, 2015. 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GLD: Something's Gotta Give [View article]
    This "joker" just made several multi-bagger returns overnight on some otm gold calls. Will do it again on the next pull back.
    May 13, 2015. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hargreaves Services: A Value Investor In Disguise [View article]
    Thank you. Curious how you found this company? Are you based in the UK? I never heard of it prior to this article. Interesting find for sure. Thanks again for bringing it to everybody's attention and congrats on winning the Contrarian Contest.
    May 13, 2015. 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I was wondering why HMY was trading down given gold is up over 2%. It dropped like a rock earlier today on the JSE and the NYSE ADR followed. These unions are playing a dangerous game. HMY can't even make money with current wages and gold prices.
    May 13, 2015. 03:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hargreaves Services: A Value Investor In Disguise [View article]
    This looks like on Yahoo Finance like it traded down in the 200s (GBP) in 2006 right when it got listed but on Google Finance the low looks to be around 400 and says it first traded in 2009. Do you know which one is accurate or what is the actual all-time low and when it actually began trading? Did something happen with the stock between 2006 and 2009 to account for the discrepancy?
    May 13, 2015. 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fake Bid For Rocket Fuel Is Just A Speed Bump On Its Way To Zero [View article]
    If FUEL's technology is useless than why do they retain revenue higher than pretty much any other ad tech company?
    May 13, 2015. 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment