Equitable Research

View Equitable Research's Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How Wall Street Enables Stock Promotions: A Case Study Of Jefferies And Unilife [View article]
    I've never taken analyst reports seriously for this very reason. If you read the disclaimer of any investment bank analyst report it says that it is biased because the companies do business together. There is no real difference in credibility between an analyst report and a spam email about a stock.
    May 20, 2015. 08:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RealNetworks Has Significant Upside Optionality With Rhapsody Stake [View article]
    Rhapsody is hardly a "hidden asset" and this is a huge value trap. I wrote a coiple articles a year ago about this short when this was $8.
    May 20, 2015. 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sotheby's: Going Once, Going Twice, Going... Down [View article]
    I would argue that there is no "art bubble". The prices of fine art (and only very very select pieces) are rising due to supply and demand. There are only a handful of ultra valuable works of art in the world. And there is only a handful of ultra wealthy that can afford to buy them.
    May 20, 2015. 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sotheby's: Going Once, Going Twice, Going... Down [View article]
    May 20, 2015. 11:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Goldman's Currie: "Too much money" in oil [View news story]
    I am finally comfortable getting long.
    May 19, 2015. 11:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Work Remotely [View instapost]
    Here I am Eli hard at work trolling on Twitter in my backyard:

May 19, 2015. 09:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Higher One Is A Classic Asymmetric Risk-Reward Story That Has Been Unfairly Skewed Negative By Media Hype [View article]
    I doubt these will pass. The banking industry is not going to roll over and let themselves be regulated by the DOE. That has always been core to my argument here. HigherOne has already discussed lowering and eliminating most fees voluntarily anyhow and the reduction in revenues is partially offset by higher usage and corresponding interchange fees. Most importantly, the payments and analytics businesses are growing like wild fire and are a bigger piece of the pie every quarter. I'm really not worried as this is more than baked in to the pittance of a valuation on this company.
    May 19, 2015. 08:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peabody Is My Favorite Idea That Everyone Knows, But That No One Understands [View article]
    I bought some Whitehaven Coal on the ASX. It is in a much better financial and competitive position. I will try to do a write up about it shortly. Well managed and has just reached a key inflection point.
    May 18, 2015. 11:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Management has been really disappointing. Reminds me a lot of Walter Energy and we seen how far that has dropped beyond anybody's expectations. Simply failure to act. No insider buying. With that said this looks overdone but I've been saying that for awhile now. For now I'm going to focus on higher quality coal ideas that are being lumped in to thi dirty group of WLT, BTU, ANR, ACI.
    May 18, 2015. 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Repricing Amazon's Secret Sauce With Netflix At $600 [View article]
    Dividend stocks could be an even bigger bubble than momentum right now.
    May 18, 2015. 04:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Guess I was early trying to catch this falling knife. Once it hit low $4's, I knew it would break and I sold for a $0.25 loss. I'm still looking for a good way to play coal but not taking the chance that this one goes to the pennies like WLT, ANR and ACI. I'll probably avoid BTU altogether as its 50/50 now if it goes up even if coal drastically improves as I suspect. I still don't like KOL as it is too concentrated in CNX which I don't like among other names.
    May 18, 2015. 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Repricing Amazon's Secret Sauce With Netflix At $600 [View article]
    That post made my day Illuminati... This author calls himself a "futurist" so all that you suggested might be appropriate as nobody can accurately predict the future so perhaps Amazon takes over the world one day. It probably still won't be profitable however. But when debt is free does it matter?
    May 18, 2015. 02:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Covisint Corporation: Former Spinoff Trading At Attractive Valuations [View article]
    Roumell owns COVS because of the spinoff from CS when it was acquired. His position still is very minimal ($2M). Note that he owns SZMK also which is a similar circumstance as he has been holding since the spinoff from DGIT. It is dangerous to be buying a declining and money losing technology company with the idea that it will be purchased. The very low and declining margins of COVS leads me to believe that the platform isn't very attractive.
    May 18, 2015. 02:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Luxury goods brands sue Alibaba over counterfeits [View news story]
    Alibaba also advertises on many file locker warez sites. I think they are using App Nexus.
    May 17, 2015. 12:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes that is what I'm hoping for. I watched PBR but never jumped in. 50% in a couple weeks would be nice. I'll probably sell after 25%. Sentiment is so bad here it won't be like this forever. It should at least trade for $6 even under a worst case scenario.
    May 16, 2015. 02:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment