Equitable Research

View Equitable Research's Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Star Bulk Carriers' (SBLK) CEO Petros Pappas on Q2 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    Very much under followed stock with a great story. Could easily rip back to mid-$3's on this report. Analysts seem to be on board with the cost efficiencies and if the CEO is right about the demand part of the picture this is a multi-bagger quickly.
    Sep 1, 2015. 12:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Silvercorp Metals sinks after earnings miss, dividend suspension [View news story]
    For me it was a worst case scenario one that I didn't anticipate at all. I can't remember any company voluntarily delisting from NYSE that wasn't in serious financial problems and SVM looks to be in pristine condition by all accounts. I thought dropping the dividend when they clearly have tons of cash on the books was a strange move although I liked it as an investor as I aim for growth not income but it struck me as strange. Plus where is this buyback from December? There are a lot of unanswered questions and management not holding conference calls isn't reassuring. I still believe its not a scam but it really doesn't matter what I think as the street hates this company and it is now for sure after this stunt being equated with scam again and thats a huge overhang on the share price. But I keep thinking that must be management's intention. Try to knock it down and steal it.
    Aug 20, 2015. 11:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It trades at the same price, just in CDN dollars. It will happen automatically. Your broker will get a notice and that will be that. In about 30 days you will wake up and SVM will be de-listed on NYSE and you will see you have the equal number of shares on the TSX.
    Aug 20, 2015. 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You will own 1 share of TSX. Thats the official listing. OTC is grey market.
    Aug 20, 2015. 06:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    To be clear I don't think SVM is a scam and thats why I bought it but this move by management just adds doubt in the mind of the street and the very loud and powerful activist shorts. For that reason I think its dead money at best now. It is really a baffling move. This is a case where I think sentiment will sadly trump fundamentals when determining the future stock price. So all my fundamental thoughts remain in tact but I'm viewing the company through a different lens now. They had time on their side. To make this rush decision really is suspicious to me. Again not because I think the books are cooked, but I think there is some conspiracy to keep the share price down so they can steal the company and take it private on the cheap. Time will tell.
    Aug 20, 2015. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Operationally I think they are doing well in this poor environment but this was the stupidest move ever. I like how they don't pump the stock anymore (probably cause of the scrutiny) but they also don't need to go out of their way to destroy it. So I appreciate that what I wrote sounds schizophrenic and like capitulation but this is likely the dumbest thing I've ever seen. They have at least 6 months to make any decision. They could easily wait it out say they are considering options like a reverse split and their share price would have likely closed over a dollar anyhow at some point to restart the clock. Stock was $0.82 entering the day and given the performance in the rest of the sector it likely would have closed > $0.90. Which gets them near the $1 mark. The reason it dropped so much under huge volume is because people are already scared of the accusations and this adds fuel to the fire. Its very unusual for a company to voluntarily delist from an exchange that represents 80% of its trading volume. Konami did it in April but 99% of its volume was in Japan for instance. Its a boneheaded move. With that said I think management is probably planning to do something. Perhaps a buyout to take private so this was an intentional sabatoge. Who knows? But yes I have the right to change my opinion about management when they do something this dumb. This is a HUGE deal. Just because they are smart (and I think they are likely geniuses) doesn't mean they will ultimately benefit shareholders. Thats why I think there is for sure an end game here and likely going to benefit insiders not ordinary shareholders like us.
    Aug 20, 2015. 04:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I underestimated how bad this management team is. Dead money at best on the TSE. Certainly feels like capitulation but hard to trust them now. What were they thinking? There must be a master plan here to do something.
    Aug 20, 2015. 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Groupon Can Soar Like Priceline.com [View article]
    Actually I know a large percentage of Amazon's top merchants personally. I have done video training courses on Amazon and Groupon selling so I know both platforms intimately. There is a reason why Groupon doesn't have a community of merchants or customers. It is because it is web 1.0 rip off everybody as much as you can and hope they don't get wise to it collectively. Like I said its unsustainable and the street agrees, hence the stock price. So I dont mean to be rude when I say you dont know what you are talking about but its true. You read a 10-K and are now an e-commerce expert. Fools most people though, I give you that. The street isn't fooled though.
    Aug 18, 2015. 06:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    What a rout in silver today. While I am bullish on the metal long term I think the best play is a non-leveraged miner who has been unfairly punished. Silvercorp trades as if it is a proven fraud. There is no other justification for the current price. It has half its market value in cash with no debt and is cash flow positive and profitable even despite operational problems with a contractor that were resolved. Simce coming back Feng has been executing and the company is operating at its highest operational level ever yet the stock price is at its lowest point ever. The street believes this is a fraud. Feng is doing everything he can to not pump the stock through PR's but its a double edged sword as then people are suspicious of the lack of updates. Bottom line is if you don't believe this is a fraud (and I think there isn't even a 1% chance that it is) then its by far the best way to play silver. The company is still in business with prices down to $10 an ounce. Everybody else will be finished at that price level. Management is super conservative and compensation has been falling drastically and is tied to the share price. I bought around $1 after watching this for years and I see no possible way it wont succeed long term. It will actually benefit long term by a severe silver price collapse as it will be the last man standing. I own no leveraged miners. It is too dangerous.
    Aug 18, 2015. 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Groupon Can Soar Like Priceline.com [View article]
    Clearly you don't know the difference between Amazon 3P and Groupn from a merchant perspective. Groupon hammers merchants with fines as a way of doing business. Amazon acts fairly and merchants love them. Much more sustainable model. Skip the TOS' they are about as useful as press releases when making an investment decision. Time will tell who is right.
    Aug 18, 2015. 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cloud Peak Energy - Investors' Current Hatred Of Coal Has Made This A Compelling Value [View article]
    I still haven't bought here but this smashed through the $3 PT as I predicted it would. I'd like to see some insider purchases before getting excited along with a decrease in the short position (which is at an all time high now).
    Aug 18, 2015. 03:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Groupon Can Soar Like Priceline.com [View article]
    Actually Amazon has no non compliance fees, so you are incorrect there. I have significant experience dealing with them. Groupon uses fees like this as a way to just game merchants. You can only do it so long before merchants just stop dealing with you. They are late picking up deliveries and then charge you a fine for this. Happens routinely and this is just one example of tom foolery from this company on the merchant side. Customers have their own complaints. Again you don't know what you are talking about, so don't worry about my language. You aren't involved in the industry at all so your opinions are based upon reading management presentations. These will always be one-sided. My experience tells me that Groupon is a complete disaster of a company. I said the same about LQDT years ago here when it was trading near $20. Similar incompetent idiots work at that company. I knew it would fail and it clearly is. I have no stake in Groupon so keep buying it, don't let me stop you. I think personal experiences trump any amount of reading filings and listening to conference calls. So please make an effort to talk to Groupon customers and see for yourself.
    Aug 18, 2015. 02:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Groupon Can Soar Like Priceline.com [View article]
    Since you don't know about penalty fees (aka non compliance notifications) you should do a little more research. Talk to merchants. None I know are happy. This is Groupon goods I am referring to. Management is a joke. The people who work there are literally retarded. Nobody with a brain wants to work there. They don't pay well. Its a revolving door over there. The company is in shambles. How much cash do they generate?
    Aug 17, 2015. 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Liquidity Services Is A Takeover Candidate With Safety And Upside [View article]
    Looks like my negative sentiments are playing out. Operational efficiencies from new management are greatly offset by the sharp secular drop in demand for its services. Furthermore and business relying on government contracts is wildly unpredictable. This being no exception. I don't see the platform as being sustainable. There is probably a certain cushion at these levels though so I am not short but I just don't see much of a chance of a successful turnaround. Its just not a good business to be in no matter how well it is managed.
    Aug 16, 2015. 02:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Groupon Can Soar Like Priceline.com [View article]
    Groupon abuses merchats with penalty fees and other things that make selling on the platform impossible to make money at. Customers do not try and then buy later at full price. They are Groupon whores for lack of a better word. Some use Groupon for retail arbitrage. Impossible to have a winning platform that is predicated upon screwing merchants. Customers don't like it so much either due to unlisted fees and bad customer service experience. Nothing like Booking.com and the silly comparison makes it clear that the author has no experience in the space. Sounds like a much better idea than it is.
    Aug 16, 2015. 02:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment