Eric Dutram

View Eric Dutram's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Emerging Market ETF Investing: Six Countries Set to Deliver Outsized Returns [View article]
    True, but don't you think that membership in the EU would make things even easier for Turkey both in terms of investment capital inflows and exports to the rest of Europe?

Say what you will about the euro but gaining membership in the EU still has prestige and will signify that the country has 'made it' to a certain degree.
    Sep 22 12:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Van Eck Launches Rare Earth / Strategic Metals Producers ETF [View article]
    it traded two million shares in its first day on the market so someone must think its a good idea
    Oct 29 11:28 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Funds Are Buying Up Gold ETFs, Should You? [View article]
    Donald,

In the initial version of the article I did not mention IAU so I felt no need to disclose my position. However, in the updated version on our site we decided to include the fund so it is disclosed on there, unfortunately this did not carry through to the seeking alpha version.

While I agree with you that there is nothing quite like holding physical gold, it really isn't very liquid for small investors; you have to pay a premium to sell it and a premium to buy. While physical gold is great if there is a total collapse I can't exactly trade it tomorrow and buy shares of another ETF like I can with IAU or even GLD/SGOL. In my opinion, that's what these products are there for, trading and investing not to protect against a financial Apocalypse, that's where physical gold comes in.

Furthermore, suggesting that we aren't independent is pretty absurd and I don't give the funds a 'glowing review' I am just telling you that hedge funds and investment banks are buying up these securities and nothing more.

Eric
    Aug 24 06:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Junk Bond ETFs: HYLD Leading the Way [View article]
    AdvisorShares doesn't have any ads on the website.
    Jul 13 05:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why Kraft Could Be in Trouble [View article]
    from the WSJ in November: now Cadbury is turning out to be the laggard. Kraft on Thursday reported Cadbury's organic revenue growth had slowed to just 0.1% in the third quarter from 8.2% in the first quarter. Excluding Cadbury, Kraft's sales rose a much-healthier 2.5% in the quarter. " online.wsj.com/article...

You are correct though, they have been important in emerging markets but they have failed to grow in any of the traditional markets such as the U.S. or the euro zone as well.
    Apr 7 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Countries Facing Shrinking Populations: ETFs at Risk? [View article]
    Tony, I don't see how what I wrote is advocating some sort of big government philosophy, which does a better job at efficiently using their resources, a small company or a big one? Singapore or India?

I think we can both agree that the bigger something is the more inefficient it tends to be as well...
    Sep 8 06:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment