Eric Landis

View Eric Landis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Don't Let Low Dividend Yields Keep You From Investing In These Great Companies [View article]
    Rich,

Thanks so much for weighing in with such a thorough and information packed response. You were one of the first people I started following on Seeking Alpha, and your comments through the last few years have been a great help in shaping my investing philosophy.

I strongly considered AAPL for the list, and it was on and off the tables a few times before I finished the article. I own it, as well as Gilead (GILD), and am expecting some excellent future growth in the dividends due to the huge cash flows each of the companies produce. I have done very well with SBUX in the short time I've owned it as well, another great company.

Thanks again!
    Mar 29, 2015. 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

I really like AMGN as well, but went with GILD and ABBV recently due to a bit better valuations. I'm sure it will find a way into my portfolio one way or another down the road.

With a 3 year old and near 1 year old at home, I am certainly learning about life and how that affects the finances. Started college accounts for both of them already, but guessing I'll still be doing my share of help when the tuition bills come due down the road.

As for your last comment, I appreciate the kind words, you and others on Seeking Alpha have been a huge part of my investing knowledge growth over the last few years. Thanks for all you do and for helping me along.

Eric
    Mar 29, 2015. 12:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hungry4dvdnds,

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. ABC has been one of my best performers since I bought at the beginning of 2013, fortunately I got in right before the big runup. I have also done well in UNP since buying it around the same time.

V is one that I wanted to own for a while but kept getting hung up on the higher PE and low yield. Finally bit the bullet in January after the 4:1 split announcement. Hard to beat zero debt and the huge cash flows the company throws off. I overpaid a bit, but think it will do just fine in the long run.

Best wishes to you as well.
    Mar 29, 2015. 12:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    bsorge,

I can't say whether the market will be up or down 6 months from now, but I have been hearing the same comment with people calling for a market top for 4+ years. Overall, the market is expensive but not overly so, and looking at the rest of the world I don't see many better options than the U.S. economy right now.

Stick to quality, buy companies trading at reasonable valuations, and I think you will still do fine in the long run.
    Mar 28, 2015. 11:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    elvislevel,

Dividend growth is great if it is accompanied by similar earnings growth, as the companies listed above all have. Both earnings and dividends growing at a double digit rate over the last 10 years and projected to continue into the future.

Tough to lose with that combo.
    Mar 28, 2015. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DH,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. After running into problems with DRI, COH, and MAT, and TUP the last couple of years, I've started to shy away a bit from looking so much at the historical dividend growth rates and balance it out a bit more with the earnings projections going forward. Sometimes very high dividend growth rates are nothing more than a company expanding the payout ratio while the business itself may be stagnant or growing slowly.

Great to hear your are helping your daughter out with starting her portfolio. I wish I could go back a decade and get started on the DGI path right away rather than spending 10 years chasing my tail. Better late than never I suppose.

You are most welcome for the link, consider it returning the favor for you linking my Dominion article a while back =).
    Mar 28, 2015. 09:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Worst Is Not Over For Mattel [View article]
    Just remember that hope is not a valid investment strategy.

Mattel hasn't shown any recent trends of improving the business and I don't see any catalysts on the near-term horizon to change that.

There are many fish in the sea...
    Mar 27, 2015. 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mattel: The Fork In The Road [View article]
    Thanks for the great read and interesting take on Mattel. Agree with much of what you said, which is why I am now a former shareholder since January.
    Mar 27, 2015. 04:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DGM,

Thanks for the comment, I enjoy reading your articles as well.

I like to have a nice balance between high growth, high yield, and companies that provide a bit of both. As Richjoy has said in the past, "there's always a different horse ready to step up to pull the cart" and it seems with the diversification between investment types you can do well in any market.

I also own Cummins (CMI) and have done very well with it. It was considered for the list, but 3 years of negative earnings growth in the last 10 years kept it from making the final cut.
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    10315611,

Good catch. I wrote this article over the course of the last two weeks and it looks like I didn't get the first table updated for the split in the dividend.

I will see if I can get a correction posted.

Thanks.
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Norman,

Thanks for the kinds words. Ross Stores has been a great stock for me so far and I think is an excellent choice for a long term holding. Even after their many years of high growth they have plenty of room to expand into new markets.

Raytheon too is a good company, although I went with Lockheed Martin (LMT) in my own portfolio as my defense contractor pick.

Thanks for the ETF recommendation, its probably not a bad idea as a way to play it. As you said there are so many good stocks to chose from in the sector, its hard to whittle the list down to know exactly what to buy.
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BH12,

I agree completely on chasing anything in the market, it generally doesn't end well. Also agree that some of the stocks are trading at fairly rich valuations.

However, as someone with a 20+ year time frame, I am becoming a believer in buying great companies at decent prices over buying decent companies at great prices. Sometimes stocks appear cheap for a reason, mainly because they simply aren't very well run businesses.

I very nearly added Amgen to my portfolio a few weeks ago, but went with ABBV and GILD instead. It remains high on my watch list though.

The market hasn't been very accommodating with pullbacks for the last few years. We are due to get a sale one of these days...
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    rose,

I don't plan on going anywhere, thanks for the kind words.

I'll agree that many of the stocks on the list are trading a bit higher than I would be comfortable buying at right now. Although I did fairly recently start positions in Ameriprise (AMP) and Visa (V).

I've also done very well with my positions in AmerisourceBergen (ABC), Polaris (PII), Ross Stores (ROST), Starbucks (SBUX) and Union Pacific (UNP) in the two plus years I've owned them.

There are several more than I hope to eventually own, but as you said, "You can't own everything".

Happy investing to you as well!
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, thanks for taking the time to comment.

I never used to pay much attention to credit ratings until I kept getting beat over the head by Chowder to focus on quality, quality, quality. So it's now become an important metric for me.

I did mention dividend growth rate in my criteria for selection:

"Companies should have no dividend cuts during the period and should have dividend growth of greater than 10% during its recent history."

I then have a list of the 5YR and 10YR dividend growth rates under the DGR5 and DGR10 columns of the first table.

Best wishes,

Eric
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:12 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Krafting' Success For My Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    BoobBoom99,

Agree completely. Many times have topped off my mac & cheese with some ketchup. Goes surprisingly well on green beans too!
    Mar 26, 2015. 02:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment