Eric Landis

View Eric Landis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • More on Tupperware's Q4 [View news story]
    Tupperware management has stated a goal of a 50% payout ratio for dividends. They have from time to time in the past held the dividend rate constant for longer than 4 quarters to get the payout ratio back to desired levels.

From their last conference call: http://seekingalpha.co...

"A word here as well on our dividend. We’ve previously said that we expect our Board to target declarations at 50% of prior full-year diluted earnings per share without items. This is where our current annual run rate of $2.72 in dividends come from and that we made $5.43 in 2013. While our 2014 EPS outlook is now below the $5.43 we made last year, we expect that our Board will continue to declare quarterly dividends in 2015 of $0.68 per share or the $2.72 on an annualized basis.

The small amount by which this would exceed a 50% payout will be offset through the algorithm used to set our share repurchases. And to refresh your memory on that, this is used cash generated after investing in the business in paying our dividend along with putting our borrowing level at the 1.75 times EBITDA."
    Jan 28, 2015. 12:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Mattel - Still Fun And Games? [View article]
    Sold my Mattel this morning and used the proceeds to buy AT&T. Very similar yields but a much more stable picture with AT&T and a stronger financial position as well.
    Jan 28, 2015. 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Project $3 Million Dividend Results - Objectives [View article]
    mjtroll,

I think its a good accomplishment matching the S&P during a long bull run because when Chowder's high quality portfolio will really shine is when the next market crash occurs.

Low beta may hurt a bit in the uptrend, but its a great advantage in the downtrend. The higher yield of the portfolio being reinvested during that downturn also leads to greater long term returns over the market.
    Jan 28, 2015. 10:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Have We Reached The Point Of Irrational Exuberance In The Utilities Sector? [View article]
    ScottU,

I agree with your thoughts. While I am generally aware of what sectors I hold in my account, I don't have any strict weightings. Like you, I was fortunate to buy MSFT at great prices in March of 2013 and am now sitting on nearly 70% gains.

Have had similar experiences with TGT, O, OHI, DLR over the last two years. Buy what is on sale when money is available and disregard portfolio balancing at this stage of the game. I am now overweight REIT's and energy due to outsized gains in one and continuous buying of the other. Hopefully down the road I can do the same with utilities when they finally have their pullback.
    Jan 26, 2015. 11:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kolpin,

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree completely. Utilities won't keep going up forever, there will be a correction somewhere down the road. I was able to take advantage of the pullback in REIT's and utilities last fall to double down on my Realty Income (O) position. I would still like to own Southern Company (SO) and am hoping for another opportunity to present itself.

I've been adding energy and tech lately and agree that energy is one of the few bargains out there. I can see the hesitancy in over-weighting though with the uncertainty in crude prices going forward.

Best wishes,

Eric
    Jan 24, 2015. 03:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Miguel,

I've found that most of the selling mistakes I have made are ones made because of perceived overvaluations (MMM, CLX, GPC, VVC) while the ones that have been good sales are those due to changes in fundamentals (RAVN, LNCO, RGR, POT).

That said, if something gets to a point where it is trading 50%+ above normal valuations, I think its wise to take some off of the table. We aren't quite there yet with utilities, but with some now trading 30% above normal valuations that day may come.
    Jan 24, 2015. 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There's A Lot Of Value In The Information Technology Sector: The S&P 500 2015: Part 3 [View article]
    Sounds like some great enhancements Chuck, looking forward to it!
    Jan 23, 2015. 11:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Illustrating Why I Choose To Invest In IBM Again [View article]
    jallardcol,

IBM paid down about $5B in debt during the 4th quarter. My guess is they return to buying back stock in Q1.
    Jan 23, 2015. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Miguel,

It may be a conundrum about overvaluation, but I'd much rather have the conundrum of wondering what to do with big gains rather than big losses. It has been a pretty remarkable rally though as any small pullback is short-lived and we quickly race off to new highs again.

While I am diversified among sectors, I have never ventured outside of the U.S. for the sake of diversification. I figure that the majority of the stocks I own have substantial sales outside of the U.S. so any uptick in economic activity in Europe and elsewhere will still benefit me. The only downside is fighting against the strong dollar as that has hurt earnings for a few of my companies like PM and TUP.
    Jan 23, 2015. 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

Here are some articles with potential upside to consider regarding QCOM. Apparently they have a substantial ownership in Xiaomi, who is a fast growing and large player in the Chinese market.

Jan 23, 2015. 01:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    al,

Thanks for commenting and you're welcome. I think T is well positioned as well.
    Jan 23, 2015. 12:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Brian Sanders,

It all depends on the individual investor. If someone has been in a company like SO for 30 years and is retired and living off the dividend income I see no reason for them to sell and take a huge tax hit just because it may be overvalued. As long as it keeps paying their bills is the only thing that matters to them.
    Jan 23, 2015. 12:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    flash9,

Interesting theory, I may have to look into that one. Thanks.
    Jan 23, 2015. 12:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mjtroll1,

For once a troll that agrees with me! Thanks for the comment and kind words. T is one of my favorite buys in the market right now, I really think the Iusacell and DirecTV buys are going to pay dividends down the road for investors.
    Jan 23, 2015. 12:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maddynuke,

I agree completely with your thoughts. Even if you consider that utility equities are overvalued, they are still much more attractive to me than T-bills and bonds. Even with the price volatility, at least you are getting an income that continues to rise with inflation.
    Jan 23, 2015. 12:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment