Eric Landis

View Eric Landis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Robert,

There may not be any that have grown by 7.5% or more EVERY year for the last 20 years, but there are 225 companies that have grown at a 7.5% CAGR over that time.

So while it may be a bumpy ride, the expectation for those type of long term growth rates are reasonable.
    Aug 20 11:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kodiak-Whiting Merger Will Be Hugely Beneficial For The Shareholders [View article]
    geologist,

The value you get is a moving target as the price of Whiting (NYSE:WLL) goes up or down. All you have to know is that you will get 0.177 shares of WLL for every share of KOG you own when the deal closes.

For example if WLL is $90 per share at closing of the deal, this would be equal to $15.93 per share [$90*0.177] for KOG shareholders.

If WLL is $80, it would be equal $14.16 [$80*0.177].

Does this help explain it?
    Aug 20 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Hardog,

Thanks for the kind words, glad to hear you enjoyed it.
    Aug 19 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Bob,

Thanks for the comments, I'm happy to hear the article was helpful for you and appreciate you sharing it with others.

What I was trying to show with the first figure is that generally when earnings spike there is an up-tick in share price, while when quarterly earnings fall, the share price drops along with it. Looking at it again, the earnings/price correlation looks to fit with KO a little better than MSFT.

In hindsight, maybe I could have searched for some better examples to use.
    Thanks again for the feedback.
    Eric
    Aug 16 12:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Zulalily,

Thanks for the kind words, its comments like yours that are the reason why I enjoy writing so much.

Congrats on your portfolio, that $24K point is quite an accomplishment, and at that point the 10%+ annual increases in income really start to make a big impact on the numbers. I'm looking forward to that, although it seems so far off.

My stated goal for my portfolio this year is to reach the $1200 mark in annual dividends, or $100 per month. So far I am a bit short of that pace, but am hoping that with some special dividends at the end of the year and a few more contributions to go with new money, I may be able to make it.

Best wishes!
    Aug 14 05:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Coca-Cola Company and Monster Beverage Corporation Enter into Long-Term Strategic Partnership [View article]
    Looks like a great move for both companies. I like what Coke is doing between this agreement and the recent partnership with Green Mountain Coffee (NASDAQ:GMCR).
    Aug 14 05:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • EOG Resources: The Best Developer In The Eagle Ford Just Keeps Getting Better [View article]
    I would say two and three are weighted more heavily to why the stock is down that the first. The stock was dropping prior to the earnings release on August 5th due to the other factors I mentioned.

(NYSE:PXD), (NYSE:CLR), (NYSE:OAS) and plenty of other shale drillers have been down similar amounts.

I thought the earnings report was great and don't plan on selling any time soon. There is volatility in the names, but the long term story hasn't changed.
    Aug 14 04:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    dividendbonanza,

Very well said, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Aug 14 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    101investor,

I think its a combination of a few things. The stock ran up into earnings in anticipation of a good number and the stock has sold off after good but not blowout numbers.

Also keep in mind that the price of oil has dropped by approximately $10 over the last month, putting more pressure on E&P stock prices.

Finally, the market as a whole has pulled back in recent weeks and with EOG being a higher beta (1.56) stock, its been hit harder than some others.

Long EOG.
    Aug 14 03:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mallinckrodt And Questcor Shareholders Approve Mallinckrodt's Acquisition Of Questcor [View article]
    Looking forward to the deal closing. I have $30 per share in QCOR transaction proceeds already burning a hole in my pocket!
    Aug 14 02:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    LarryMelman,

I'm sorry, I guess I took offense to your blanket comment: "many authors - all conveniently listed near the end of this article - do a huge disservice by focusing on only one strategy"

I took that comment as you saying that dividend growth isn't a relevant strategy.

My apologies if I misunderstood you.
    Aug 14 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Miguel,

Thanks for your comment.

Maybe I could have been more clear or used some different language. My intent was that when I was stock picking in the past I would speculate on high growth story names looking for multi-bagger, homerun type of stocks for large capital gains. I was more of a speculator/trader than I was a long-term investor.

I see total return focusing on share price appreciation and account balance more so than DGI that focuses on the income stream the portfolio produces. Total return focuses on "alpha" against the market, while DGI focuses on money in my pocket.

I suppose we all have a slightly different perspective on terminology. I don't mean to disparage the total return element of dividend growth investing as I've done quite well thus far in total return with my portfolio. I was simply trying to point out that speculating on earnings for companies didn't work out for me, but focusing on increasing dividends has.
    Aug 14 12:19 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Larry,

Your blanket statement:
    "However, many authors - all conveniently listed near the end of this article - do a huge disservice by focusing on only one strategy at the expense of all else. Just follow DGI, they say over and over, and you don't need to pay attention to "the market" or even care about it. They promote the same handful of stocks over and over again. They continue the totally pointless argument about what dividends even mean, taking a "side" and refusing to consider any other perspective. The cliquish behavior and the immature sniping."

I think that is totally off base and wrong. I know Chuck, David Crosetti, Tim and myself have all written articles talking about stocks other than dividend growth and most if not all of the authors have a big focus on value when buying positions.

I've commented many times that there is more than one way to make money in the market, but DGI is the simplest and least volatile one that I have found, which is why I continue to write articles discussing it.

Also, the reason the same handful of stocks are discussed over and over again in DGI articles is that there is a select number of companies that fit the bill as dividend growth stocks. There are only 107 companies on the Dividend Champions List, so obviously any dividend growth article you read will likely include a stock from that short list.

I still haven't understood why if you have no interest in dividend growth you continue to read all of the articles and bash the method. If you don't think it is worth practicing, why read it?
    Aug 14 11:20 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    tzac22,

Chowder runs a blog chronicling the portfolio here.

Aug 14 10:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends In Investing: How To Sleep Well At Night [View article]
    Mike,

Coincidentally, "More than Enough" is a pretty decent book by Dave Ramsey. Its simple to read and has some great advice.
    Aug 14 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment