Eric Landis

View Eric Landis' Comments BY TICKER:
    Dividend Dynasty,

Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't given out any hard copies of the book, but have directed plenty of people to the Miller/Howard investments website for the PDF. Its funny how people can never find time to read a book but have plenty of time for watching television and doing other things!

DGI isn't for everybody, as some people don't seem to have the patience or mindset for it. As a conservative "math nerd" engineer, the idea of compounding dividends just makes logical sense to me and I've really embraced the idea. So far its worked well and I expect it to continue working well for me in the future.

You as well!
    Aug 13 12:11 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    cross,

Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't tracked my results that closely, but in looking at my Q2 update, my portfolio was up 6.4% on the year when backing out new contributions as of the end of June.

Looking at my portfolio balance right now, I am down about $100 from the last update, so figuring in new contributions since then, I'm probably looking at about a 5.5% gain so far in 2014. A bit behind, but fairly similar to what you've seen so far this year.

Good luck to you as well.
    Aug 13 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DRGibson13,

I don't have any personal experience using company sponsored DRIP's so I can't comment on them.

Tim McAleenan had a post on his blog a couple weeks talking about Loyal3.com as a great option for beginners. Here is a link http://bit.ly/1vHUyUK

I use Sharebuilder for one of my accounts and have been happy with their product. They have no minimum account balances and I believe the cheapest option is $4 per trade with regular investments.

My suggestion is to start slow and build a solid base of high quality blue chips by buying them at reasonable valuations. I don't know what kind of cash you available to invest, but start out with something like $500 or $1000 per new position, build a good base of 5-10 companies over time and then as you get more comfortable and knowledgeable you can spread out a bit if you want to look at more speculative positions.

Biggest thing is just to get started making regular contributions. Take things slowly. Continue to learn. There is an endless supply of advice out there, the hard part is weeding out the nonsense and finding out what works best for you.

Best wishes on your journey!
    Aug 13 11:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    conkjc,

Thanks.
    Aug 13 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    cross,

I'm not expecting positive comments from every person, and I am doing my best to respond to all of your questions.

I realize the tortoise and hare is a children's book and doesn't play out that way 100% of the time in real life. I apologize if using the metaphor for investing offended you.
    Aug 13 11:14 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    cross,

There were links to my personal portfolio in the article. I am quite happy with how it has performed since I sold my mutual funds and began building it last spring.

I think 18 months is a little too short of a time frame to make a definitive statement on whether or not I've achieved alpha, but I have met my goals of an increasing dividend income stream and substantial capital gains as the portfolio has increased from roughly $25K to $40K and dividend income per quarter by about 30%.
    Aug 13 11:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: McDonald's Earnings [View article]
    tom tom,

I agree. The menu is bloated and it takes forever to order and get food. MCD needs to get back to basics.
    Aug 13 10:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    rnsmith,

I've now read the book twice since hearing about it last spring, and am thinking its about time for a third read through. I always seem to find another nugget to consider when going over it again.

Your last comment is the truth, and is somewhat frustrating in today's society. I wish more young people were interested in taking their retirement investing into their own hands rather than watching Honey BooBoo and the Kardashian's. The information is out there, the students just need to do some work to find it.
    Aug 13 10:18 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David,

I will continue to mention you every chance I get. As I've told you many times before, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for putting together the CCC list. I consider your contributions a great blessing to my investing research.

In hindsight, you are correct that a F.A.S.T. Graph at the end showing all three metrics may have been appropriate. I may try to sneak one in there on an edit if time permits this evening.
    Aug 13 10:13 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot,

Thanks for the kind words. It took a while for me to change my mindset, but now that I have it certainly does take some of the fear out of market pullbacks. I know look at them more as opportunities than something to worry about.
    Aug 13 10:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SDS,

I am doing the former in hopes of the latter. I have a ways to go yet, but feel that I am finally on a good track to get there.

Thanks for commenting.
    Aug 13 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gccmd,

Thanks for the comment. I still have a tendency to obsess over price movements as I guess its hard to get completely past the total return mentality. I think you are correct about the "adrenaline rush" that goes with it.

I was lucky enough to get most of my speculative kicks out of my system before my accounts were built up very large. I was able to learn the ropes with smaller amounts of money. Now that I'm working harder towards my retirement goals and have a bigger account, I'm very happy that I found Seeking Alpha when I did and made the switch to DGI. The quarterly increases to my dividend income really is a joy to watch.
    Aug 13 10:06 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    conkjc,

I've learned there will always be cynics in the comments of the articles. It bothered me at first, but I've come to realize everyone has a different perception of the market.

However, the older I get, the more I realize why the tortoise always wins.
    Aug 13 09:46 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    cross,

Did you see the comment on how both (NYSE:KO) and (NASDAQ:MSFT) have beaten the market over the last 10 years? That seems like a positive alpha to me.
    Aug 13 09:44 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    conkjc,

I agree completely. However, some people prefer "safety" over more volatile, albeit higher returns.

If a person doesn't have the emotional makeup to handle the ups and downs of the market, CD's and cash are probably the best place for them to be. Its better to lose a percent or two to inflation every year rather than panicking at the bottom of a tough market and selling at a huge loss.
    Aug 13 09:43 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment