Eric Landis

View Eric Landis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • An Attractive Yield Of 4.76% Presenting Itself In B&G Foods [View article]
    The company has an S&P credit rating of BB- and a 70% debt/cap that keep me from buying. I like the yield but the track record is too short for me to be comfortable.
    Sep 26 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Look Behind Aflac Headline Earnings Figures [View article]
    Thanks Ray, and the same to you.
    Sep 26 05:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Look Behind Aflac Headline Earnings Figures [View article]
    For what its worth, I sold out of my Aflac (AFL) position earlier today and put the proceeds into Ameriprise Financial (AMP). I took a bit of a cut in yield from 2.5% to 1.9% but I think I will more than make up the difference in capital gains due to the much higher growth rate and I like not having to worry as much about currency issues or the Japanese economy.
    Sep 26 04:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Clorox: Cleaning Out The Portfolio [View article]
    Richjoy,

I may end up regretting it, but I sold out of my Clorox earlier today and put the proceeds into Tupperware Brands (TUP).

The dividend yield is 0.8% higher and the expected growth rate is double that of Clorox.

If I was closer to retirement, I likely would have stayed put, but with another 20+ years to go I decided I'd rather have the higher growth rate than the stability.

Time will tell...
    Sep 26 04:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Talk About The Nifty Fifty And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Jerbear,

I don't own it, but if I was going to buy an ETF to replace my dividend growth investments, (SCHD) would be one on my list for further research.
    Sep 26 12:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lockheed Martin Corporation declares $1.50 dividend [View news story]
    At least we get a piece of good news on a down day in the markets!
    Sep 25 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Partners in 8M-unit public offering [View news story]
    njbother,

SDRL is at a 52 week low and is 42% off its high. How can you possibly say they are selling shares in a rising market to raise cash?

Don't be blinded by the yield. This company has $13.6B in debt with a $12.9B market cap and oil prices have been dropping. There is little safety in the dividend with this stock.
    Sep 24 11:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Cracker Barrel Old Country Store's Turnaround Looks Like A Buying Opportunity [View article]
    You missed the most attractive part of investing in Cracker Barrel, the 4% dividend.

Thanks for the article, I agree with your assessment.

Long CBRL.
    Sep 24 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should NXP Semiconductors Be In Your Portfolio? [View article]
    Don't forget the other huge story for NXPI, which is the transition to chip & pin technology for credit cards in the United States. They are the dominant player in the industry with an 80% share of the market.
    Sep 23 03:34 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Lessons From The Frontline [View article]
    Excellent summary on the industry fundamentals and a good attempt at warning investors of the potential dangers in the sector.

Anyone who thinks a 14% dividend yield is safe needs a reality check. Falling oil prices and increased supply of rigs makes for an uncertain future for these companies. With the huge debt load and high payout, I don't see how the current dividend can be maintained long term.
    Sep 19 10:56 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surviving A Worst-Case Scenario To Become A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Doug,

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

I think I will give (MAT) a few more quarters to see how the Mega Blocks acquisition holds up. They have had a few stretches of weak earnings growth in the past and come out just fine. If we get into the first half of 2015 and they are still stumbling I'll probably think harder about finding a replacement.
    Sep 19 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice article Mike, thanks for sharing.

Going through similar thoughts with Coach (COH) and Mattel (MAT) right now. I think they both will be fine in the long run but it can be difficult to hold through the bumps in the road.

So far I've resisted the urge to sell...
    Sep 18 11:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Macau stocks lower as new growth projections factor in [View news story]
    Wynn doesn't own any casinos in Atlantic City...
    Sep 18 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Pacific Ethanol Earnings [View article]
    PEIX share price is down 30% from the recent high, that's enough of a fall for me!

Margins have definitely contracted, but keep in mind that West Coast pricing is typically about $0.20 per gallon higher than Midwest pricing so I expect PEIX margins could be a bit higher than the $0.50 you quote.

They also have the wild card of 3rd party ethanol deals through Kinergy, which could also affect margins one way or the other.

Thanks for the discussion and best of luck in your investing.
    Sep 17 11:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Pacific Ethanol Earnings [View article]
    The government subsidies don't look like much more than a political ploy in Brazil. The subsidy is only 0.3% for the rest of this year http://bit.ly/1s74VjE, which may increase to 3% next year. The 0.3% subsidy is inconsequential and even a 3% subsidy likely isn't going to make a very big difference.

There has been a big correction in U.S. ethanol producers on the recent news and drop in ethanol prices, but the ethanol producers are still enjoying decent crush margins at current prices with the cheap corn.

There certainly appears to be more risk now than there was a few weeks ago, but I remain long PEIX and GPRE, and plan on holding them into 2015.
    Sep 17 04:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment