Eric Landis

• No Need To Freak Out About Chevron's 'Frozen' Dividend [View article]
    Minuteman,

Here were the CVX payments:
    1999 = .305+.305+.305+.325 = 1.24
    2000 = .325+.325+.325+.325 = 1.30
    2001 = .325+.325+.325+.350 = 1.325

So dividends increased every year even though it was held at the same level for 8 quarters. If timed right you could actually have 10 payments in a row at same level yet still have 3 years of increases.
    May 1, 2015. 01:43 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Texas Oil Strike [View article]
    I find it interesting that you fail to mentioned renewable energy is dependent on high energy prices to survive as well. Wind & solar can't compete with $3 natural gas for power generation; without the government kicking in huge subsidies for it anyways.
    May 1, 2015. 11:13 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Need To Freak Out About Chevron's 'Frozen' Dividend [View article]
    maybenot,

You're welcome, thanks for reading. I'd rather see CVX raise as they see fit rather than get a token 1% raise just to keep the quarterly schedule intact.

After 27 years of annual raises, management has shown they know how to run the business. Let it be indeed!
    May 1, 2015. 10:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Need To Freak Out About Chevron's 'Frozen' Dividend [View article]
    Steve,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'm also pretty content with a 3.8% yield. Other than tobacco, REITs, and a few utilities there aren't many quality companies paying that rate anymore in this elevated market.
    May 1, 2015. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Need To Freak Out About Chevron's 'Frozen' Dividend [View article]
    rosenose,

Thanks for reading, glad I could help calm you down!

CVX has been paying increasing dividends for the last 27 years and as you say have seen plenty of busts through that time frame. CVX is about as quality as you can get in the oil market, I'm still sleeping well here.

Long CVX as well, and recently bought it for my 1 year old in his ESA. Should help pay his tuition in about 18 years. =)
    May 1, 2015. 10:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour eyes underwear disruption [View news story]
    May be the first case I've ever seen where eying "underwear disruption" is considered a positive event.
    Apr 30, 2015. 05:22 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences beats by $0.62, beats on revenue [View news story]
    Beat estimates by 27%, not too shabby!
    Apr 30, 2015. 04:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron declares $1.07 dividend [View news story]
    Money Madam,

CVX paid $0.65 for five consecutive quarters in 2008/2009.
    Apr 30, 2015. 11:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    ScottU,

Agree completely and even with the lack of a raise CVX is still yielding 3.87%, which is half a percentage point higher than XOM's 3.32%, even with it's raise announced today.

CVX historically has a higher payout ratio and shareholders have been rewarded with a higher yield through the years because of it. That means when times are tough, the dividend will be frozen from time to time, but you are still being paid quite well even with the freeze.

I have an article under embargo right now that will be posted tomorrow looking at Chevron's dividend history. This isn't the first time it's frozen the dividend, and it likely won't be the last.

Long CVX!
    Apr 30, 2015. 11:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AmerisourceBergen beats by $0.26, beats on revenue [View news story]
    mbn,

If you look at the press release, they did in fact raise guidance:

"Our updated expectations for financial performance in fiscal 2015, including the impact of the MWI transaction, are as follows:

Adjusted diluted earnings per share from continuing operations in the range of $4.85 to $4.95, a 22 percent to 25 percent increase over fiscal 2014, and an increase over prior guidance of $4.53 to $4.63"

This updated guidance compares favorably to consensus analyst estimates of $4.62 per share.

Long ABC!
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AmerisourceBergen beats by $0.26, beats on revenue [View news story]
    Wow, looks like a great quarter. Nice beat on both top and bottom line.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron declares $1.07 dividend [View news story]
    The lack of an increase is not unprecedented with Chevron.

They went 5 quarters with the same payments in 2008-09, 7 quarters in 2001-03 and 8 quarters in 2000-01.
    Apr 29, 2015. 05:29 PM | 21 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should I Sell? A Selling Approach For Stock Purchase Mistakes [View article]
    Big Thunder,

Agree with your thoughts. I am another former Aflac shareholder and sold for the reasons you mentioned. I'd be okay with a low singled digits dividend growth for a few years if I was being paid 3.5%-4% to wait.

Unfortunately, AFL only pays 2.4% and doesn't appear willing to let the payout ratio get above 25% so I don't see the yield ever going up unless share prices drop more.

My opinion is that AFL will continue to trade at around a 10 multiple for the foreseeable future with low single digits annual earnings and dividend growth to go with it. Good enough for some, but I feel there are better options for my portfolio.
    Apr 29, 2015. 12:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Buyandhold 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the great read Nicholas!

I thought you had some very good questions, and I've been a follower of Buyandhold2012 long enough that I pretty much already knew all the answers before I read them.

Nonetheless, some excellent advice for investors new and old. I think the quote about never selling your winners and letting them run is the greatest advice. I wince every time I hear "you never get broke taking a profit", it should instead read "you never get rich selling your winners".
    Apr 27, 2015. 09:42 AM | 30 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 401(K) Reconstructed: 2015 Q1 Review [View article]
    jrepasch,

Thanks for the additional information on AEP, I may have to look a little closer at it to see if it should be on my wish list.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the article.

Eric