Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • U.S. Stocks: Oh Behave! [View article]
    Thanks gdaym8 - I appreciate it!
    Mar 27, 2015. 05:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil: Dallas Sellers Club [View article]
    Hello TimmiesRegular,

Thanks as always for your comment. At present, I share your view on this timing for a bottom in oil prices sometime in Q2 or early Q3.

Thanks again.
    Mar 19, 2015. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil: Dallas Sellers Club [View article]
    Hello User 509088,

Thanks for your comment and excellent point. To your point and building on bbro's comment from above, this may be signalling that a final bottom in oil prices may be coming sooner rather than later at this point. It will be interesting to see.

Thanks again.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil: Dallas Sellers Club [View article]
    Hello bbro - Thanks as always for sharing your insights. By this measure and in your opinion, when do you think we should expect to see the bottom in oil prices? My sense is from your past comments that you may live or come from this region of the U.S. as well, so I would be particularly interested in your take on the situation.

Thanks again.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil: Dallas Sellers Club [View article]
    Hello Snake99,

Thanks for your comment and your excellent points. And you do a great job in expressing the theme emphasized at the end of my article, which is that a number of high quality banks in the region may find themselves sold off in the process of the oil price decline, which may present some particularly attractive buying opportunities when it is all said and done. This is something that I am watching for in the coming months, as a number of the names on the list in my article interest me quite a bit in this same regard.

Outstanding and important point. Thanks again for your comment.
    Mar 18, 2015. 11:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Another Tough Week And The Big Day Ahead [View article]
    Hello Darren,

Thanks for your comment and excellent points. You have hit on one of my primary worries in the current environment, in that so many investors, particularly those that are retirees and living on a fixed income, have been forced by policy makers into higher risk assets that would otherwise be considered most inappropriate given their risk tolerance and time horizons. Hopefully these investors will not be subject to the extreme volatility that potentially lurks under the surface of the market in the wake of a major policy mistake.

Great points and thanks again.
    Mar 14, 2015. 12:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Another Tough Week And The Big Day Ahead [View article]
    Hello Michael,

Thanks as always for your comment and your great points. One wonders when policy makers will actually let markets feel a degree of pain without feeling compelled to rush right back in with more stimulus and support. At some point, pain will be inevitable whether policy makers allow it or the market imposes it by force. It will be interesting to see.

Thanks again and hope you are having a great weekend.
    Mar 14, 2015. 12:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Another Tough Week And The Big Day Ahead [View article]
    Thanks Ginny - I appreciate it and hope that you are doing well!
    Mar 14, 2015. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Another Tough Week And The Big Day Ahead [View article]
    Hello klgmdc,

Thanks for your comment and your kind words. Also, you raise a great question about regional banks. My preference is toward selecting individual regional banks over the KRE basket. This is due to the fact that such a vast differentiation exists across the large regional bank universe. As a result, I believe value can be added for those that are willing to take the time to identify selected regional banks that they know well and understand the surrounding regional economy. Moreover, given the exposure of some regional banks to the oil sector and the recent correlation between regional banks and oil prices, my preference is to pick out names that are currently out of the way of this risk.

Thanks again!
    Mar 14, 2015. 12:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Another Tough Week And The Big Day Ahead [View article]
    Hello George,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!

Eric
    Mar 14, 2015. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From Another Tough Week And The Big Day Ahead [View article]
    Hello Robert,

Thanks for your comment and this is a very good point about the potential for the sell the rumor, buy the news outcome. I also see the potential given the sharp rise in the U.S. dollar in recent weeks for the Fed to come in more dovish than expected at its upcoming meeting, which could send markets bursting to the upside. It will be interesting to see.

Thanks again Robert. Great points.
    Mar 14, 2015. 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The King Of Pain [View article]
    Hello Michael,

Thanks for your brilliant comment. This is why I follow you on SA, as I always enjoy your commentary and particularly appreciated your comment here. I agree with drftr - I'd like to provide not only an extended reaction, but I'm going to look to work your point into its own article.

Thanks again and hope you are doing well.
    Mar 8, 2015. 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Friday's Sell-Off: Assessing The Damage And Opportunities [View article]
    Hello Benni,

Thanks for your comment and for raising a great and important question about volume. From my beginnings in the investment industry, I have long tracked and analyzed volume as it relates to stock market moves and continue to do so today. I've also written on capital flows in and out of asset classes on a number of occasions over the years. But one of the things that I have found notable about the post crisis period is that the statistical significance of these readings have had less of an impact than traditionally outside of short-term trading influences. In short, the market has been rising for some time on light volume and falling on heavy volume for some time, yet it continues on its upward trend largely unabated.

I suspect we will return to an environment at some point in the future where trading volumes return to having a greater weight, but as we continue in the post crisis market it regretably has not had the significance it typically does.

Great question and I appreciate your raising it. Thanks again.
    Mar 7, 2015. 10:45 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Friday's Sell-Off: Assessing The Damage And Opportunities [View article]
    Hello richjoy403,

Thanks for your excellent comment and for raising the important point about the U.S. dollar. I focused on the dollar in my recent King of Pain article (link below), and you are right to give it more attention here. Thanks again for raising this excellent point and adding great value to the discussion. I appreciate it!

Thanks again
    Mar 7, 2015. 10:35 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Friday's Sell-Off: Assessing The Damage And Opportunities [View article]
    Hello txwoodworker,

Thanks for your comment and good summary. And I think this is a risk that faces nearly all asset classes going forward. For once the hot and leveraged money decides to move to the exits, it can be swift and sometimes relentless.

Thanks again.