Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Crisis Less Extraordinary [View article]
    Thanks - I appreciate it!
    Aug 15 12:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Cory,

Great comment and welcome to SA! TimmiesRegular makes some excellent points in response, for as long as you are focused on the rising income stream, the principal value will take care of itself over time assuming you have the time horizon to wait. This emphasizes the importance of due diligence in the stock selection process in an effort to make sure that the companies owned can continue to grow the dividend instead of freezing or cutting.

Great discussion points and thanks again.
    Aug 15 12:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Crisis Less Extraordinary [View article]
    Thanks Mitch. I appreciate it!
    Aug 15 12:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi mobyss,

Excellent points on many fronts. And I think your downside targets in the third downturn scenario are very realistic depending on how events play out.

Thanks as always for your comment.
    Aug 15 12:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Crisis Less Extraordinary [View article]
    Hi Alan - Thanks as always for your comment and once again I think you have hit the nail on the head in terms of asking the key question about the markets in the years ahead. For if we were to enter into another meaningful and prolonged downturn similar to 2000-2003 and 2007-2009, I think it would have the potential to send many retail investors away from stocks and not to return for many, many years. It will be interesting to see. Thanks again!
    Aug 15 12:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Crisis Less Extraordinary [View article]
    Hi Shoemouse - This is an excellent idea. I will explore this topic and may come back with an article depending on what I can turn up.

Thanks again.
    Aug 15 12:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your comment. I have been a follower of your outstanding articles on SA for many years now, so I genuinely appreciate your kind words on my article.

I look forward to reading your latest articles and commentary on SA. Thanks again.
    Aug 15 12:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Timmies,

Thanks for your comment as always. I regret if I come across as overly bearish in this article, as it is not my intent. My priority is to try to maintain a balanced perspective, but sometimes it can come across leaning one way or another depending on the article (I've actually had a few articles where I have been called out for coming across as too bullish!!).

I actually agree with many of the points that you have expressed in your comment a great deal. Your final two paragraphs in particular I think are very well said. My latest article on dividend growth investing also has the potential to come off as overly bearish, but it actually seeks to expand on some of the points that you've raised here.

Thanks again for your comment and great points as always.
    Aug 15 12:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Crisis Less Extraordinary [View article]
    Hi Shoemouse - Really well said. Great points. Thanks for your comment.
    Aug 15 12:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your great comments as always. An excellent and very fitting quote too. Thanks again and I hope you are doing well.

Eric
    Aug 15 12:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Michael,

I always enjoy reading your thoughts and perspectives, and this is a particularly outstanding comment. You make a number of very important points and your references to Night-Cycles is very interesting. Thanks for sharing your insights here.

In regards to your Night-Cycles, do you think there is any merit to the idea that inflationary and deflationary cycles rotate with one another over time? What I am about to suggest disrupts the 18 year timing scheme that you have laid out here, but when looking back at the secular bear market from 1901 to 1921, a good deal of it was defined by considerable inflationary pressures. Is it possible that we rotate in terms of pricing instability from inflation to deflation to inflation to deflation between these cycles? I would be interested in your perspectives on this possibility.

Thanks again Michael. I enjoyed reading your comment as always.
    Aug 15 12:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Crisis Less Extraordinary [View article]
    Hi i262666 - Well said on the errors associated with human judgement. I look forward to reviewing your model. Thanks again.
    Aug 14 11:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Crisis Less Extraordinary [View article]
    Hi ChartProphet - I appreciate your comment and I look forward to reading your recent article on natural gas. Thanks again.
    Aug 14 11:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello JMikeK,

Thanks for your comment. I am currently in the range of 15% to 25% cash depending on the strategy, but this is subject to change at any point in time based on the available opportunity set. If good values are presenting themselves in any particular asset class, I will be inclined to put this cash to work, but I am not inclined to force positions into place, particularly at this stage of the market cycle.

Thanks again for your comment.
    Aug 14 11:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Key Tests For The True Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Hi Dave - Thanks for your comment and I agree! I've enjoyed reading your articles on SA - you've really sparked a lot of great discussion in the comment sections of your articles too. I look forward to reading your next post.

Thanks again