Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
    Hi Ted,

Thanks so much for your comment both here and on my recent post that I mentioned in the article above. I sometimes find when I am writing that I can lose sight of the fact that I might be overstating or understating certain points in a given article because they are either so ingrained in my head or that I've written about them in the past. So I appreciate your bringing this to my attention on my last article.

Thanks as always for your great commentary. And I also appreciated your recent article on Iron Miners. I tweeted it out to my followers at the time but never had the chance to visit and comment.

Thanks again Ted. Hope you are doing well.
    Jun 29, 2015. 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Total Return Investor - I agree once again with Due Dilligence. This is a really sharp comment and I wish I had thought of it! Outstanding comment.
    Jun 29, 2015. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Thanks Alexander for sharing your views along with a link to your article on resuming Euro shorts. I look forward to reading.
    Jun 29, 2015. 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Hi pdtor - Thanks for your comment and hope you are doing well. Your point is also excellent, as the euro has been a flawed experiment all along. Monetary union cannot realistically exist over the long-term without some form of fiscal and banking unity. Progress has been made, but it has been done reactively and out of necessity. These are challenges that should have been anticipated long ago. Great point.
    Jun 29, 2015. 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    I agree with Due here on Puerto Rico. This is big news that is getting buried below the proverbial fold today due to Greece and China. This is a topic that deserves its own article, which I may look to do depending on whether other contributors on SA tackle it over the next few days. Good point.
    Jun 29, 2015. 11:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Hi Momintn - Excellent point that hits on the focus of my portfolio thinking in recent months, as I have been favoring U.S. domestically oriented firms over multinationals not only to protect against the likes of Greece and China but also the surge in the U.S. dollar. Thanks.
    Jun 29, 2015. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Thanks Due Dilligence - I appreciate it!
    Jun 29, 2015. 10:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Hello Michael - Great comment as always. I always enjoy reading your unique perspective on the matters of the day! Thanks again and hope you are doing well.
    Jun 29, 2015. 10:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Hi lrm21 - These are great points that I looked to explore in my recent article from June 25 entitled Bethany Beach Memoirs (I've included a link below). What is notable that despite all of the talks of improvement on the Euro Zone periphery, some of the key numbers look considerably worse today than they did the last time Greece was on the brink in the summer of 2011.

Good point about the policy contrast among central bankers too. I thought it was notable that someone else from the Fed was out talking about raising rates in September this morning. Clearly the Fed is feeling some swagger despite the potential risks that are accumulating. Hopefully they will be able to follow through with rate hikes, as it would imply that the current situation in Greece has not completely blown up in the meantime.

Thanks again

Jun 29, 2015. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Hi TimmiesRegular - Always enjoy reading your perspective and thanks for sharing it here on my latest article. The next few days should be interesting, but its notable that within the stock market defensives like utilities and income producers like REITs are solidly higher this morning. An orderly market reaction so far.
    Jun 29, 2015. 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Hi Ginny - Thanks for your comment and hope that you are doing well. You've hit on a key here. It sounds like credit card transactions are still processing and that tourists still have ample access to the liquidity they need (not limited to the 60 euro withdrawal limit for citizens), but this is one of the many things that should be monitored in the coming days. Great points!
    Jun 29, 2015. 10:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do As Greece Crosses The Rubicon [View article]
    Hi tunaman - Thanks for your colorful commentary and for sharing your thoughts. And I agree that the Keynesian experiment has gone completely awry in recent decades with central bankers running wild and policy makers overlooking the fact that surpluses are required during prosperous times to offset the deficits accumulated during periods of weakness. Thanks again.
    Jun 29, 2015. 10:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    Thanks macombet - This is a good question. To show how long this contrast has been going on, I have attached a link to an article that I wrote back in August 2011 on Iceland that gives more context on how events played out there.

The following BBC documentary on YouTube also does a good job of giving a 10 minute summary on what happened.

Thanks.
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    Thanks newbeach861 - I appreciate it!
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    mickey99 - Great points on the willingness to take pain. I suspect that history will look back on this time period starting from the late 1980s through today to study the consequences associated with not allowing economies and markets to cleanse and heal by trying to paper over excesses with easy money and central bank liquidity. Recessions serve a health purpose for economies, and its time that we stop trying to override the natural flow of the business cycle. Great points and thanks again.
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment