Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • European Disunion, Part I: Policy Paradox [View article]
    Hi thrillmn - Excellent point. If policy makers across the region continue to persist on the same road, the long-term survival of the euro currency may eventually come into serious doubt. It will be interesting to see. Thanks.
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • European Disunion, Part I: Policy Paradox [View article]
    Hi Timmies - Thanks for your great commentary and excellent points as always. Great point on the influence of shale in the recent growth trajectory, I will dig into the numbers on this one. And your point about debt is absolutely spot on - the fact that policy makers continue under the delusion that a debt problem can be solved by piling on more debt is troubling, particularly as the problem continues to compound with each passing year.

Thanks again.
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • European Disunion, Part I: Policy Paradox [View article]
    Hi Alan - Thanks as always for your great observations. I hope you are doing well. And your point is a good one about the disconnect that exists between the various countries that happen to share the same monetary policy and currency for better or for worse. Unfortunately, the problem that has once again been deferred to a later date promises to be even bigger than it is today. It should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Thanks again.
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • European Disunion, Part I: Policy Paradox [View article]
    Hi dieuwer - Good points. One of the aspects that has served as a drag on growth for the Euro Zone in the years after the financial crisis is that they were left with a euro currency that remained consistently strong relative to the rest of the world that was moving more aggressively to weaken their currencies. To your point, it is one of the challenges of a currency union where fiscal policies have remained still largely independent for much of its existence.
    Jul 16, 2015. 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Thanks Obi-Wan. I appreciate it and agree that while we may see some short-term bounces along the way, that this is going to take some time to sort itself out including China. Great points as always. Thanks again.
    Jul 9, 2015. 10:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi Alan - Thanks for your second comment. And I share your concern about the people living in Greece. It is sad some of the individual stories that are coming out of the country. And unfortunately, conditions are likely to get worse before they get better. Thanks again.
    Jul 9, 2015. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Thanks squeakcat - I appreciate it!
    Jul 9, 2015. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi Timmies - Thanks for your comment and excellent point as always. I agree with the points that you've raised here on what they are saying and the fact that no matter what is agreed upon in the next few days is going to take much longer to actually sort out than what the market might be expecting.

Thanks as always.
    Jul 9, 2015. 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi Rock - Excellent points. In the end, I think China is the bigger issue for markets short-term, while the Greece situation is more of an intermediate-term to long-term problem. And I believe you are right that the unfolding situation in China remains decisively bearish for commodities and even the precious metals space in the short-term.
    Jul 9, 2015. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi Alan - Thanks as always for your comment. I hope you are doing well and that your dogs are doing well too! I will be following up soon over e-mail. Have a great day!
    Jul 9, 2015. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi calciomadness - Thanks for your comment. This is correct - I no longer hold a position in SPLV.
    Jul 9, 2015. 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi Thomas and wiredless - Great comments and very funny! Thanks!
    Jul 7, 2015. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi AllStreets - Good comment. The "win" that I was referring to was the "No" vote in the referendum. But your are exactly right that with this win is likely to come a fair amount of economic and financial pain in the months ahead, particularly if it ends without a deal. If it does turn out that Greece exits the Euro Zone, it will be interesting to see if they are truly shut out of capital markets the way that so many suggest or whether the likes of Russia and China will intervene with some financial support. In addition, the world clearly still has no shortage of speculators that would gladly receive a much higher yield to lend some money to the Greece economy as it tries to get back on its feet. Interesting times.

Thanks again.
    Jul 7, 2015. 10:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Born On The Fifth Of July [View article]
    Hi Travis - Thanks for your comment and I agree completely that the real story can be found in the bond markets. Excellent point.

I also wanted to mention that I enjoyed your recent articles on Gilead and Natural Gas. I look forward to reading your future posts on SA.

Jul 7, 2015. 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Stocks Have Descended Into The Absurd [View article]
    lotus position - Good points. What has been notable over the past year is that while the Shanghai Composite was rising by +150% and has since fallen by -30%, the FXI and the GXC only gained +40% and +30% on the upside, peaked in April two months ahead of the Shanghai Composite, but all are down around -16% since the end of April. In short, FXI and GXC investors enjoyed only 1/4th to 1/5th of the upside but are experiencing nearly all of the downside since.

solmar - more good points. My only question is the following. If policy makers have been trying to get investors out of the micro/tech space all year, should we be troubled that they have been unable to do so to this point without what appears to now be shaping up as an increasingly meaningful market disruption?
    Jul 7, 2015. 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment