Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I too love the DE beaches and have a lot of great memories dating back to my times growing up. Thanks again!
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    Hello Alan - Thanks as always for your great and insightful commentary. I always appreciate reading your thoughts and perspectives. And you are absolutely right that the post crisis happen has been to extend and pretend. Unfortunately, the excess only continue to accumulate and the eventual day of reckoning will be all the more calamitous as a result. Of course, those that are at the ready and positioned the right way can stand to benefit, but we will likely not be at such a juncture just yet even if Greece defaults. But such an outcome will probably help bring this end game closer. It will be interesting to see. But in the end, one will always be left to wonder how differently the post crisis period could have been had policy makers had the courage to deal with these problems up front and absorb some short-term pain instead of repeatedly putting things off and trying to wish problems away.

Thanks again Alan. I hope you are doing well.
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    kurlancheek - You raise an excellent question, which is something that I plan on following up on once we have a better idea of the path that we are headed down. I have another article that may be posted today on SA where I start to delve into these topics, but I think the biggest downside risks for markets is not necessarily a result of the Greece situation itself, but the potential fallout effects from a Greek exit (whenever that may occur, for a bailout today does not mean that we won't be back here again soon). Russia in particularly is an important wild card in this regard. Thanks again.
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    Michael - Thanks as always for your great commentary. Nothing like watching geopolitical theater as the masses are left to watch and wait to see about the fate of their long-term savings and investments. It will be a good day when the global economy can finally right itself once and for all. Thanks again.
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bethany Beach Memoirs [View article]
    GoGowadof100s - Thanks for the note. Lewes is a beautiful place to live and I hope that you're enjoying the summer season so far!
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello idaustin,

Thanks so much for your comment and for sharing your perspective on the article and Mattel in particular. I agree with your reasoning behind potential theses for owning Mattel stock at the present time. And you are right that the outcome for the dividend is an uncertainty that should be monitored going forward.

I also share your view about the fact that the turnaround is easier when the company is engaged in more of an annuity or toll booth type business. And while Mattel does not have products that share the same addictive qualities as a Starbucks coffee, the one way I think they do have an annuity type benefit is in the fact that they along with Hasbro and Lego take up most of the "shelf space" both in the stores and online when it comes to toys and there will always be new customers that are being born every day that will inevitably come up through the pipeline and want to buy the products that these companies have to offer. And in this way I see the companies having at least a measure of this annuity/toll booth quality.

Great points and thanks again for your comment. I appreciate it.
    Jun 21, 2015. 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hello Michael - Great comment as always. Hope you are doing well.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hello Teutonic Knight,

Great point - finally taking some of these problems head on and the medicine that comes along with it would certainly be a refreshing change.

Thanks for your comment.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hello Piptief,

Thanks for your comment and excellent point on LEAPS. Such options strategies are fairly inexpensive right now and to your point definitely have their place when the time is right.

Thanks again and excellent point.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hi Sid,

Thanks for your comment. You raise a good question about Argentina. I would say the primary difference in that case is that it was not a part of a currency union like Greece. But you are right that markets were worried about Argentina at the time and managed to navigate the risks fairly well.

Great point and thanks again.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hello Transcripts,

This of course assumes that I have remained continuously bearish both on a short-term, intermediate-term and long-term basis and have thus chosen to be entirely out of stocks this entire time period since January 2012 as a result. We could go back through my near 600 articles on SA and cherry pick the times that I said I was short-term to intermediate-term bullish on the stock market too, but that would be an equally useless exercise. Even if one is owning the market through a broadly diversified asset allocation, it is always worthwhile to consider what the market has to offer and what risks might lie ahead.

Thanks for your comment.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello biobat,

Thanks for your reply and I believe your thinking makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again!
    Jun 18, 2015. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello biobat,

Thanks for your comment and excellent points. I completely agree that Hasbro is well positioned from a brand licensing perspective. My primary concern is how much further the stock price can support further upside given its already lofty valuation. It will be interesting to see, but I agree that currently as mentioned in my article "Hasbro is in and Mattel is out".

While the sustainability of Mattel's dividend is subject to debate, I'm not sure that the stock will necessarily sustained major downside if this event does come to pass. Many have been anticipating the potential for a dividend cut at Mattel for some time, so it likely would not come as a surprise if it actually took place. Also, even with a meaningful dividend cut, the dividend yield is likely to still be relatively high. Lastly and most importantly, if Mattel can position the dividend cut as part of a plan to bolster the balance sheet and support future growth initiatives, the market may actually respond positively to the move and could actually be the catalyst for a rally. History provides many examples where this was the case. One recent example was Exelon (EXC) that cut its dividend on 2/7/13 by more than 40% and the stock not only held steady but went on to rally by +24% over the next two months. But with all of this said, the potential for a dividend cut at Mattel does warrant close attention in the months ahead.

Great points and thanks again.
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello FreeMkts, Thanks for your comment - I appreciate it!
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello EyeBelieve,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it! And I agree that MAT has been a tough hold for some time, but at least HAS has provided a strong offset for you to this point.

Thanks again!