Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Hi B&H - I always enjoy reading your comments, as your view on the market is spot on. So many investors think that a bear market is something that they should fear, when on the contrary it is something that they should welcome. To your point, it is always great to go shopping when there's a good sale going on.

Thanks as always!
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:45 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Hi s - Thanks for your spirited comment! I think Buyandhold2012 hits it precisely on the head in his next comment below. Investors should not fear bear markets. They should view them with interest and even enthusiasm. After all, who doesn't like it when something they want to buy goes on sale?

Thanks again.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for your comment as always and great questions. You are reading my mind - as many of these questions are the focus of what I hope to be a follow up to this article. And you've added some additional things for me to think about here. Your insights are outstanding as always. Hope you are doing well.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Thanks Bosco. I appreciate it!
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Thanks tallguyz - I appreciate it!
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Hi xpan - We are undoubtedly in a bull market in U.S. stocks that is on its seventh year and the third longest in history. And this bull market will remain intact until we see confirmation of a breakdown which has yet to even begin to take place. But with bear markets raging in so many other parts of the world (I'm guessing it doesn't feel like its just in their heads in places like southern Europe, Latin America and many other parts of the globe), it will be interesting to see how much longer the U.S. can keep its bull market up. Not so much pessimism instead of reality.

Thanks for your comment.
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Thanks Zic - It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. But you are right - no matter the market environment, opportunities are always out there in investment markets. Thanks again!
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Is Alive! [View article]
    Hi DH51 - Thanks for sharing the link. I look forward to taking a look.
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: Not The Final Frontier [View article]
    Hi Lotus - Very good points. Given the exposure to oil in some of the leading frontier markets, this is likely to serve as the major weight on the index at least in the near-term. The ability to targeted individual countries within the space would be useful too to diffuse some of the overriding oil risk on the segment.

Thanks for your comment and good point.
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: Not The Final Frontier [View article]
    Hi Sam - Thanks for your comment. And I agree that investors have enough risk in the current environment without adding on additional risks such as currency and political risk. Great point and thanks again!
    Aug 3, 2015. 10:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: Not The Final Frontier [View article]
    Thanks tallguyz - Hope you are doing well.
    Aug 3, 2015. 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: Not The Final Frontier [View article]
    Hi Thomas - Thanks for your comment both here and on my recent articles. I always enjoy reading your thoughts and perspectives. I hope you are doing well.

Eric
    Aug 3, 2015. 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Sense Of The China Stock Roller Coaster [View article]
    Hi harrik - Thanks for your comment and for raising what is a good question. I'll look to answer it here. My point in the beginning of the article about predictability was largely from a technical perspective. In other words, someone with a chart could sit down with the Shanghai Stock Exchange composite index and identify a number of common inflection points where the market has both bounced and reversed lower such as the 100-day and 200-day moving averages. So given this recent behavior and now that it has bounced off of its 200-day moving average, the next key level worth watching on the SSEC would be resistance at the 100-day moving average that is currently at 4188.97 and rising since this trendline served as previous resistance. If it breaks out above the 100-day M.A., it would be bullish, and if it fell back after hitting the 100-day M.A., it would imply that the correction may have further to run.

With all of this being said and despite any predictability that I am describing here, there are far to many other risk factors at work that lead me to conclude that investors are better served to stay away at least for now. These include some of the intervention measures that you've mentioned along with the fact that the ETF instruments available for an investor to even try to track these already volatile moves have not tracked the SSEC closely anyway at least to the upside.

So despite what has been some surprisingly predictable behavior from a technical analysis perspective, the variety of other uncertainties that exist make the market far too unpredictable to try and participate right now.

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks.
    Jul 29, 2015. 10:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Sense Of The China Stock Roller Coaster [View article]
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your great perspectives. And I think you are completely correct that as time goes by the opportunity set in China will likely become more broadly defined and hopefully more transparent as a result. I know the effort to get the A-shares included in the MSCI indices remains a priority - it will be interesting to see how much the recent policy actions may have set back this effort if at all. But in the meantime, I think your approach is right to stay out of this market at least for the time being.

Thanks again Michael. I hope you are doing well.
    Jul 29, 2015. 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Sense Of The China Stock Roller Coaster [View article]
    Hi fedecapo - I imagine it has been tremendously frustrating for those that have been allocated to China both within and outside of the country. Did you own one of the three ETFs mentioned in the article? Unfortunately, we are seeing the consequences of what happens when policy makers seek to boost capital markets through artificial means, as it causes a variety of unanticipated fallout effects.

Thanks again!