Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello rdtuck02,

Thanks for your comment and your kind words on my article. I appreciate it!

And I share your focus on the potential for a dividend cut at MAT given its high 5.9% yield and the current payout ratio. With that said, I could also envision a scenario that is sometimes seen with stocks where the dividend cut might actually spark a move to the upside, particularly if investors start to see it as inevitable, as it gets the bad news out of the way. And even with a 50% dividend cut that would free up a lot of cash to be reallocated, it would still leave MAT with an attractive yield at around 3%. But with that said, you are absolutely right that a close watch on the dividend is worthwhile with MAT.

Thanks again and great point.
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello Captain,

Thanks for your comment and great point on JAKK. I tried to give mention to toy companies outside of the Mattel/Hasbro head to head in the article, and JAKKS Pacific definitely deserves a nod. Thanks again.
    Jun 17, 2015. 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello tallguyz,

Thanks for your kind words and great comment! This story is absolutely spot on!

Thanks again.
    Jun 17, 2015. 11:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Hello zeusprune,

Thanks for your comment and I'm glad that you found this information useful!
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Thanks glenn #2 - I appreciate it!
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Hello 2Reb,

Thanks for your comment and great points. Very well said.
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Hello Illuminati,

Not suggesting that investors should time individual sectors nor the market for that matter. This is why I made the comment up front that while a bear market can provide investors with tradable rallies, that it is easier said than done and that most investors would instead prefer opting for opportunities offered by asset allocation such as owning specific sectors instead of the broader market.

Thanks.
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:36 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From The Golden Bear [View article]
    Hello phenix,

Thanks for your comment. These are all excellent and interesting points worth consideration. Thanks for sharing your insights and perspectives.
    Jun 11, 2015. 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why My Nose Is Bleeding [View article]
    Hello Zap and Mike,

Thanks for the comments on my article. I appreciate it.

Two quick points to make.

One, just because I'm saying stocks are vastly overvalued does not mean I'm suggesting that they are going to collapse tomorrow. In fact, I have for some time and will continue to contend that we remain in a bull market for stocks whose uptrend is currently intact. Eventually it will end, but we are not at that point just yet. In the meantime, it as always remains worthwhile to evaluate the risks surrounding us. After all, I'd love it if stocks collectively were trading at a discount, but such is not the case today, so it warrants attention.

Second, in regards to the point about valuations being higher today than they were in 2000, the following is a link to an article that I wrote back June 2014 on the topic. I'll leave it to readers to draw their own conclusions, but if you go through the exercise of extracting tech, media and telecom from the market in 2000, we find that the rest of the market in 2000 was valued very much like it is today. Moreover, stocks are more expensive than they were in 2007. Do examples of exceptions exist? Sure. But in aggregate, it is fairly comparable.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Jun 11, 2015. 12:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anticipation Is Worse Than Reality [View article]
    Hello grisly_atoms,

Thanks for your comment and excellent point. Well said.
    Jun 8, 2015. 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anticipation Is Worse Than Reality [View article]
    Hello Great Swami,

Thanks for your comment and I completely agree - Doug Short has some of the best charts out there and they are worth referencing all of the time including the one that you have mentioned.

Thanks again.
    Jun 8, 2015. 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anticipation Is Worse Than Reality [View article]
    Hello Buyandhold2012,

Thanks as always for your great commentary and very good point about anticipation. In this case, I would suggest that anticipation is worse than reality, but you are right that life is also filled with many instances where the exact opposite is true!

And I agree with your point that general dividend paying stocks fall into the same category along with utilities and REITs as names to watch on any continued sell off into the near-term.

Great points and thanks again.
    Jun 8, 2015. 09:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Anticipation Is Worse Than Reality [View article]
    Hello RNArizona,

Thanks so much for your comment. Speaking of NPT, I'm guessing you must have seen Doug Albo's article on NPI that is on the front page of SA today. I thought I would mention it just in case and include a link as well.

Thanks again!
    Jun 8, 2015. 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anticipation Is Worse Than Reality [View article]
    Hello libertysass - Thanks a lot!
    Jun 8, 2015. 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anticipation Is Worse Than Reality [View article]
    Hello rz2013,

Thanks for your comment and for raising a good point. You are absolutely right that the scenario that you have described also looms as a possible outcome in the future. It is one that I was actively considering as a possibility a few years ago given how aggressive global central banks were responding to the crisis at the time. But given that we are mired in deflationary pressures that the global economy cannot seem to shake, this favors a declining bond yield environment for the highest quality (relatively speaking of course) sovereign debt such as the U.S. and Germany among others. But with that being said, the outcome you have mentioned is also possible and would give a nod to the precious metals complex including gold.

Great point and thanks as always for your comments.
    Jun 8, 2015. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment