Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hello Piptief,

Thanks for your comment and excellent point on LEAPS. Such options strategies are fairly inexpensive right now and to your point definitely have their place when the time is right.

Thanks again and excellent point.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hi Sid,

Thanks for your comment. You raise a good question about Argentina. I would say the primary difference in that case is that it was not a part of a currency union like Greece. But you are right that markets were worried about Argentina at the time and managed to navigate the risks fairly well.

Great point and thanks again.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Exit [View article]
    Hello Transcripts,

This of course assumes that I have remained continuously bearish both on a short-term, intermediate-term and long-term basis and have thus chosen to be entirely out of stocks this entire time period since January 2012 as a result. We could go back through my near 600 articles on SA and cherry pick the times that I said I was short-term to intermediate-term bullish on the stock market too, but that would be an equally useless exercise. Even if one is owning the market through a broadly diversified asset allocation, it is always worthwhile to consider what the market has to offer and what risks might lie ahead.

Thanks for your comment.
    Jun 18, 2015. 03:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello biobat,

Thanks for your reply and I believe your thinking makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again!
    Jun 18, 2015. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello biobat,

Thanks for your comment and excellent points. I completely agree that Hasbro is well positioned from a brand licensing perspective. My primary concern is how much further the stock price can support further upside given its already lofty valuation. It will be interesting to see, but I agree that currently as mentioned in my article "Hasbro is in and Mattel is out".

While the sustainability of Mattel's dividend is subject to debate, I'm not sure that the stock will necessarily sustained major downside if this event does come to pass. Many have been anticipating the potential for a dividend cut at Mattel for some time, so it likely would not come as a surprise if it actually took place. Also, even with a meaningful dividend cut, the dividend yield is likely to still be relatively high. Lastly and most importantly, if Mattel can position the dividend cut as part of a plan to bolster the balance sheet and support future growth initiatives, the market may actually respond positively to the move and could actually be the catalyst for a rally. History provides many examples where this was the case. One recent example was Exelon (EXC) that cut its dividend on 2/7/13 by more than 40% and the stock not only held steady but went on to rally by +24% over the next two months. But with all of this said, the potential for a dividend cut at Mattel does warrant close attention in the months ahead.

Great points and thanks again.
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello FreeMkts, Thanks for your comment - I appreciate it!
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello EyeBelieve,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it! And I agree that MAT has been a tough hold for some time, but at least HAS has provided a strong offset for you to this point.

Thanks again!
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello rdtuck02,

Thanks for your comment and your kind words on my article. I appreciate it!

And I share your focus on the potential for a dividend cut at MAT given its high 5.9% yield and the current payout ratio. With that said, I could also envision a scenario that is sometimes seen with stocks where the dividend cut might actually spark a move to the upside, particularly if investors start to see it as inevitable, as it gets the bad news out of the way. And even with a 50% dividend cut that would free up a lot of cash to be reallocated, it would still leave MAT with an attractive yield at around 3%. But with that said, you are absolutely right that a close watch on the dividend is worthwhile with MAT.

Thanks again and great point.
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello Captain,

Thanks for your comment and great point on JAKK. I tried to give mention to toy companies outside of the Mattel/Hasbro head to head in the article, and JAKKS Pacific definitely deserves a nod. Thanks again.
    Jun 17, 2015. 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toy Wars: Mattel Vs. Hasbro [View article]
    Hello tallguyz,

Thanks for your kind words and great comment! This story is absolutely spot on!

Thanks again.
    Jun 17, 2015. 11:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Hello zeusprune,

Thanks for your comment and I'm glad that you found this information useful!
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Thanks glenn #2 - I appreciate it!
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Hello 2Reb,

Thanks for your comment and great points. Very well said.
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bulls Hiding Behind Bears [View article]
    Hello Illuminati,

Not suggesting that investors should time individual sectors nor the market for that matter. This is why I made the comment up front that while a bear market can provide investors with tradable rallies, that it is easier said than done and that most investors would instead prefer opting for opportunities offered by asset allocation such as owning specific sectors instead of the broader market.

Thanks.
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:36 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From The Golden Bear [View article]
    Hello phenix,

Thanks for your comment. These are all excellent and interesting points worth consideration. Thanks for sharing your insights and perspectives.
    Jun 11, 2015. 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment