Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • U.S. Fiscal Policy: Highly 'Sequestionable' [View article]
    Hello Trader_Phil,

I think you make a great point and this is one of the reasons why I think it is particularly important that we see a formal budget from Washington this year. Given the fiscal problems that the country is facing, politicians need to be on the record for exactly the spending that they are supporting. It will be interesting to see in the coming months if we finally get a final and approved budget for this year.

Thanks again.
    Mar 1, 2013. 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Fiscal Policy: Highly 'Sequestionable' [View article]
    Hello tampat,

Thanks for your comment. And I think you hit on the key obstacle that will continuously prevent anything of real substance getting changed. Many elected officials in Washington are beholden to those groups that have provided the most support along the way. And this influence gets in the way of sound and efficient decision making. Until this framework is fundamentally changed, it will be difficult for any meaningful change to be enacted in Washington. Unless of course a crisis scenario simply demands action.

Thanks again.
    Mar 1, 2013. 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Fiscal Policy: Highly 'Sequestionable' [View article]
    Hello think23606,

Thanks for your comment. This is a great analogy and I think you also hit on a great point about the inability of the government to say "no" when sometimes it should.

Great points. Thanks again.
    Mar 1, 2013. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Hello Aristiphones,

Thanks for your comment and great point on Treasuries. The long bond has been an outstanding performer going on three decades now. And I also do not see Treasuries as being in a bubble currently despite historically low yields. While yields are bound to move sustainably higher again some day, to your point, if we are entering anything like a Japan style scenario of an extended period of economic weakness, Treasury yields could go even lower and stay lower longer than most are imagining right now.

Excellent points. Thanks again.
    Feb 26, 2013. 07:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Hello Ryan_C and djmic,

Thanks for your comments. I think you both raise good points. And the argument by policy makers for focusing primarily on core inflation and largely ignoring headline inflation is becoming increasingly problematic given that the rise in oil and food prices is far from temporary at this point given the sustained rise we have seen over the last decade. Moreover, there continues to be hidden inflation in many corners of the economy with serving sizes and quantities getting smaller for products and services being sold at the same price.

Great points. Thanks again.
    Feb 26, 2013. 07:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Hello Old school,

Thanks for your comments and your kind words. I appreciate it very much. And I agree with you completely on your points. The divergence between oil & gas and gold has certainly been notable, and I also like those oil companies that are more domestically focused, which is one of the key reasons I favor Occidental along with the fact that it is more highly correlated to oil prices than ExxonMobil and Chevron.

Thanks again for your comment and your great points.
    Feb 26, 2013. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Hello Illuminati Investments,

Thanks for your comment and great point. I even wonder if the recent sell off has anything to do with the global central bank liquidity air pocket that has occurred recently. It will be interesting to see how markets react as we approach sequestration in the coming days.

Thanks again.
    Feb 26, 2013. 05:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Hello BORNAGAIN2007,

Thanks for your comment and suggestion on the chart title. This is an excellent recommendation.

You make a good point about the media's perpetual inclination to try and attribute something tangible and relatable to daily market movements. I remember the "leaders in Europe will have the political will to address the debt crisis" line being rolled out often about a year or two ago when it was clearly being driven by something altogether different.

Besides, if we are operating in a time when our markets are at the mercy of political decisions in places like Italy, Greece or Slovakia, it highlights the fact that underlying risks are much higher than being recognized.

Great point. Thanks again.
    Feb 26, 2013. 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks And Gold: A Tale Of 2 Markets [View article]
    Hello Pros and Cons,

Thanks for your comment. You raise a good point. The recent sell-off reminds me of February 2011 when the outbreak of unrest in Libya was cited as the reason for what turned out to be the first of three QE2 stock market peaks. If the markets enter into a similar pattern once again this time around, QE stock market rally will be half of what it was under QE2, which in its own right was half of what it was under QE1 over a comparable time period. It will be interesting to see how the market performs from here.

Thanks again.
    Feb 26, 2013. 05:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Gut Check Time For Gold And Silver [View article]
    Hello Value Added,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your views. These are great points and I think your views on owning gold as a long-term insurance policy are very sensible and prudent.

Thanks again. Great points.
    Feb 18, 2013. 11:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Gut Check Time For Gold And Silver [View article]
    Hello SKS1586 - Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your kind words!
    Feb 18, 2013. 11:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Gut Check Time For Gold And Silver [View article]
    Hello Antonio,

Thanks for your comment and I agree that the last 18 months has certainly been challenging for PM investors, although it has provided for a healthy period of consolidation following the exceptionally strong surge into mid 2011.

I also agree with Interesting Times below, as I also favor the metals over the miners. He also raises good points about the concerns with GLD and SLV, as I prefer GTU, CEF, PHYS and PSLV instead.

Thanks again.
    Feb 18, 2013. 11:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Gut Check Time For Gold And Silver [View article]
    Hello Emmet,

Thanks for your comment - I appreciate it! I also wanted to express that I thought your most recent article on Gold sentiment, silver utility, liquidity and debt was a very interesting read.

I look forward to your upcoming posts on SA.

Thanks again.
    Feb 18, 2013. 11:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Gut Check Time For Gold And Silver [View article]
    Hello thucydides123,

Thanks as always for your comment. I appreciate it and hope that you are doing well.

Thanks again!
    Feb 18, 2013. 11:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Gut Check Time For Gold And Silver [View article]
    Hello basehitz,

Thanks for your comment and great points as usual. You are right that the practically entire PM complex is looking oversold at the moment and in some cases deeply oversold. It will be interesting to see if the new week brings any sort of bounce.

Thanks again.