Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Thanks stoxfox - you make a number of good points here and it sounds like your timing has been excellent throughout the crisis. Well done.

Here is the link to the Lance Roberts article for those readers that are interested. Lance makes a number of interesting points.

Thanks again
    Jun 29 08:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello Muhammad Farhan - Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!
    Jun 29 08:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello untrusting investor,

Thanks as always for your comment. Thanks also for your extensive comments on my recent Fed article. You made a variety of excellent points as usual.

Thanks again.
    Jun 29 08:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello soleprop,

Thanks for your comment. This is an excellent point and it is on this theme that timing and individual security selection from the quality/low vol intersection universe can add a meaningful amount of additional value beyond simply just a buy and hold strategy. And too stoxfox's point below in response to raifel's question, the key is identifying trading strategies that signal when bullish/bearish inflection points are occurring in the market.

Excellent points. Thanks again.
    Jun 29 12:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello Rich W,

Thanks for your comment. I believe that britaylor123 is correct in their points. Those small businesses that oppose health care reform express concerns about higher tax and regulatory costs. Moreover, they suggest that it will dampen hiring activity, particularly among those businesses that wish to keep their employee count at 50 workers or below in order to avoid being required to provide their employees with health insurance or be taxed starting in 2014.

This is my understanding of that side of the argument, but I defer to those that are more familiar with the nuances of the program.

Thanks again.
    Jun 29 12:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello gstanleyjr,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it. You raise an excellent question here.

Moving beyond constructing a portfolio through stock selection from the intersection of the Quality/Low Vol universe, I believe the next best bet is to focus on the Low Volatility side through some the ETFs that you've mentioned (I would consider the FTQ Focus Morningstar Technology ETF to fall into a different category). The newer USMV has meaningfully outperformed the SPLV with still fairly high correlation since its inception late last year, while the EEMV offers a complementary exposure from Emerging Markets. Thus, I think the ETFs that you're presenting here make a great deal of sense under this strategy.

Great question and point. Thanks again.

Jun 28 11:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello Skyler,

Thanks for your comments here on my article. Thanks also for your reply to my comment on your article from the other day as well as your e-mail. I will follow up later today. In the meantime, I look forward to reading your articles posted today on SA. It looks like a lot of interesting material.

Thanks again.
    Jun 28 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello Sherm,

Thanks for your comment on my article. And thanks Skyler for replying to his question - I appreciate it. For this article, I have only listed the holdings that relate to this article. To your point, I am also long NKE, TLT, GLD, and SLV among other positions that are not listed here. This is a good question.

Thanks again!
    Jun 28 12:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: The 2 Keys To Successfully Navigating The Crisis [View article]
    Hello minor - Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!
    Jun 28 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World Of Bernanke: Future Bleak For Treasury Bonds [View article]
    Hello Skyler,

Thanks for your great article on Treasuries. This is excellent analysis and I am honored that you chose to use my recent article as a counterpoint to your perspectives on the Treasury market. Although we disagree on many points on Treasuries, I appreciate and respect the themes that you've raised here. I also recognize that I am in the minority view with my more bullish view on Treasuries, so the onus will remain on me to support this argument over time.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the coming months. But I look forward to following your future articles on SA and to collaborating and continuing our exchange on Treasuries as events unfold.

Great work Skyler. And once again, thanks for thinking of me in writing your article. I genuinely appreciate it.

Eric
    Jun 25 12:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver: Time To Fish Or Cut Bait? [View article]
    Hello Silver Bog,

I wanted express my thanks for your very thoughtful and extensive reply here to our comment discussion and my question to you about Silver ETFs. Our original exchange inspired a great deal of thought for me this weekend, so I appreciate your raising the points that you have presented in this article, particularly as it relates to the impact it could potentially have on readers at some point down the road. Excellent points.

To date, I have owned GLD and SLV given their historically high correlations to the underlying spot markets. But to your point, I have spent much of the first half of 2012 exploring the other PM ETFs for the reasons that you've presented, particularly given the additional risks that may ultimately present themselves if a crisis episode were to unfold. I had been favoring both the Central Fund and Sprott products in my analysis with a leaning toward Central, so I was pleased to see that you also felt that these were favorable and for the reasons that you mentioned.

One additional question - what are your views on the various Gold ETFs? Do you favor GTU and PHYS above the others in GLD, IAU and SGOL for the same reasons you've cited here, or is your perspective different as it relates to Gold? I am interested in your thoughts on this point.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and perspectives. It sparked a variety of thought processes for me in recent days that have been very productive. I eventually hope to accumulate this information into a set of two articles for publication on SA, potentially for sometime in early July. You raised a ton of good points and the information you shared was most helpful.
    Jun 25 12:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver: Time To Fish Or Cut Bait? [View article]
    Hello Agbug,

Thanks for your comment. This is a very interesting ratio that you apply to gauge entry points for Silver. Out of curiosity, where do you source your data for this ratio? I would like to explore it further if you don't mind sharing this information.

Hecla (HL) is a name that I am also monitoring along with a few other miners. It is notable that the recent price advance broke out above what had been an extended downward trading channel dating back to the end of 2010, although the 150-day M.A. proved a hard ceiling on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see how it trades from here.

Thanks again for your comment and your insights. I appreciate it.
    Jun 25 12:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver: Time To Fish Or Cut Bait? [View article]
    Hello MDLGTO,

Thanks for your comment both here and below. You raise an excellent point about the implications for Operation Twist on the Gold and Silver market. To your point, while it is likely to make the PM markets grind further in the near-term, it simply extends the period of time to pick and chose entry points in establishing long-term positions. For I agree with your point that the long-term thesis remains in tact for the reasons that you cite and the fact that further rounds of balance sheet expanding monetary stimulus are likely only a few months away at most at this point.

Thanks again for your comments. Great points.
    Jun 25 12:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver: Time To Fish Or Cut Bait? [View article]
    Hello cseavic,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your long-term view on the white metal. Given the inclination of global governments toward further money printing, I suspect your long-term discipline in owning Silver will be handsomely rewarded in the end.

Thanks again.
    Jun 24 11:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver: Time To Fish Or Cut Bait? [View article]
    Hello untrusting investor,

Thanks as always for sharing your thoughts and insights. You have set up a very interesting trade in Silver that makes a ton of sense. I plan on monitoring the Silver market in the context of the trade that you've outlined here to see how it performs, but it is very attractive set up from a risk control perspective. Also, please keep me updated if you execute purchases on the silver miners, as I'm interested in hearing your perspectives along the way in this area.

Thanks as always for your excellent and insightful comments.
    Jun 24 11:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment