Eric Parnell, CFA

View Eric Parnell, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The 3 Faces Of Silver [View article]
    Hello Tas 2010,

Outstanding comment and thanks for raising this point. The fact that PSLV is trading at a discount to its net asset value most notable, as it has traded at a roughly 10% premium to net asset value on average since the inception of the product two and half years ago and now marks the first time that it has ever traded at a discount. This is particularly notable given the recently hefty premiums widely reported in the physical market.

Outstanding point. Thanks for mentioning it.
    Apr 18, 2013. 10:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Faces Of Silver [View article]
    Hello dnpvd51,

Thanks for your comment and for raising a very good question. As a long term holder of precious metals, I prefer the Central Fund of Canada and Sprott products for the transparency associated with these holdings and clarity of their prospectus information. But for those interested in trading gold and silver, incorporating options strategies or establishing a short-term position in the metals, both GLD and SLV do work well, particularly given their historically low tracking error relative to their underlying metals prices.

Great question. Thanks again.
    Apr 18, 2013. 10:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Faces Of Silver [View article]
    Hello Emmet,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it.

Thanks also for your recent articles on the precious metals and the miners. The insights and detail are always excellent. I look forward to reading your upcoming articles on SA.

Thanks again
    Apr 18, 2013. 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Faces Of Silver [View article]
    Hello Michael,

Thanks as always for your excellent comments. You have been spot on with your recent calls and I look forward exploring your current perspectives and strategy in more detail.

Thanks again and I'll talk to you soon.
    Eric
    Apr 18, 2013. 10:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware The Risk Of Stock Liquidation [View article]
    Hello RM13,

Thanks for your comment and for making a number of great points. Whether the market activity over the last few days marks the beginning of a sustained correction remains to be seen, but once we enter the final washout phase at some point, the big question will be whether it is a swift and sharp correction or if it is a slow and steady grind lower. I suspect with all of the continued efforts to prop up markets by policy makers, the final cleansing would be an initial spike lower followed by a slow, steady and uneven grind similar to the 2000 to 2002 period. Part of the key is where the final correction starts from, as it could just as easily end up being a few hundred more S&P points higher from here too depending on how much longer the market decides it wants to run. It will be interesting to see.

Thanks again.
    Apr 17, 2013. 11:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware The Risk Of Stock Liquidation [View article]
    Hello fishfryer,

Thanks as always for your comment. To your points, I remain perplexed at the persistence of the U.S. Federal Reserve in somehow viewing the stock market as a vehicle to try and achieve their dual mandate of full employment and price stability, particularly when the pass through benefits have proven minimal to this point several years after the outbreak of the financial crisis. Moreover, while some in the media may continue to think the stock market is a relevant barometer for the economy, I believe the American public, less than half of which is even invested in the stock market today, has tuned it out long ago, as the stock market in no way reflects the reality that so many people are living today. So much risk associated with endlessly expanding the Fed's balance sheet with so little sustained economic benefit to show for it.

Thanks again.
    Apr 17, 2013. 11:03 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware The Risk Of Stock Liquidation [View article]
    Hello lightt@live.com,

Thanks for your comment and for raising a very good point about cost of production. I'm guessing that you probably have seen the SA article by now, but I thought Hebba Investments did a particularly good job today in conducting a similar analysis. I've included a link here just in case.

Thanks again.
    Apr 17, 2013. 10:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware The Risk Of Stock Liquidation [View article]
    Hello keeladog,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it and agree that it appears that underlying market conditions are increasingly destabilizing at the moment. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the coming days.

Thanks again
    Apr 17, 2013. 10:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: How Much Longer Can They Power Up [View article]
    Hello David,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your utilities instablog post on this article. This is outstanding information. I appreciate it.

Thanks again
    Apr 12, 2013. 07:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • When Blue Chips Bleed Red [View article]
    Hello CES,

Thanks for your comment and your kind words. I appreciate it. And I think your allocation to the industries you've mentioned above make a great deal of sense in the current environment. As a matter of fact, my latest article taking a closer look at the utilities sector posted to SA this afternoon in case you might be interested.

Thanks again.
    Apr 11, 2013. 10:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: How Much Longer Can They Power Up [View article]
    Hi AndyInGA,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your perspectives. I agree with your thinking here, particularly in focusing on utilities with the higher yields both for income and risk control purposes. Makes a ton of sense.

Thanks again.
    Apr 11, 2013. 10:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: How Much Longer Can They Power Up [View article]
    Hello Jeep5ter,

Thanks for your comments both here and on my last article. I agree with you completely on SO for the reasons that you've mentioned here. Over the long-term, this has been my favorite utilities name. I first purchased it for my personal account through their DRIP program way back in the late 1990s and held it for years prior to the financial crisis. Although I do not own it today as I opted instead to own it as the second largest holding within broader utilities exposure from the XLU when I reestablished my utilities exposure several months ago, it is one that is always on the top of my list for a potential buy when selecting individual utilities.

Thanks again.
    Apr 11, 2013. 10:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: How Much Longer Can They Power Up [View article]
    Hello raykrv6a,

Thanks for your comment and I think your approach here is very sound. And I agree that even with the recent rally that utilities will still hold up better than the overall market during any correction.

Thanks again.
    Apr 11, 2013. 10:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: How Much Longer Can They Power Up [View article]
    Hello dancing diva,

Thanks as always for your comment. I appreciate it and I hope you are doing well. One of my favorite things about owning utilities (barring the ugly deregulation phase that occurred about a decade ago) is the exact point that you've raised here. While they typically lag in upward moving market, they also usually hold up much better in correcting markets.

Great points. Thanks again.
    Apr 11, 2013. 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: How Much Longer Can They Power Up [View article]
    Hello jumpnjoey77,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it and am interested in learning more. If you're willing to disclose, what small and micro cap utilities are you currently focusing on right now. This is a theme that I've focused on periodically over the last several years and am currently in the process of revisiting it once again.

Thanks again.