Eric Parnell

View Eric Parnell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Strategies For Earnings Season And Beyond [View article]
    Hello fishfryer,

Thanks for your comment and for making some excellent points. You've hit on a topic that I have worried about since the revelations of QE2 back in the summer of 2010. The Fed had the opportunity after pulling the global economy back from the brink with QE1 to step aside and let the corrective process play out in an orderly and managed way. Instead, they insisted on continuing to apply more stimulus in an effort to paper over these lingering imbalances. As a result, the potential now exists for yet another confidence crushing major correction if for no other reason than asset prices have been artificially inflated well beyond equilibrium and fiscal policy makers have been allowed to dither and not take the steps required to support sustained economic growth. It will be interesting to see when the final inflection point is finally reached.

Thanks again for your comment and great points.
    Apr 5 09:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Strategies For Earnings Season And Beyond [View article]
    Hello Barry,

Thanks for your reply to my comment question. This is great background information and I appreciate you sharing your analysis and depth of knowledge on the topic. It is very useful.

Thanks again.
    Apr 5 12:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Strategies For Earnings Season And Beyond [View article]
    Hello Barry,

Thanks as always for your great commentary. This is a very interesting analysis and I appreciate your sharing it here. Out of curiosity, do you see the VIX falling back and settling into the 12 to 13 range for a stretch before the next correction, or do you feel that the basing zone for the VIX is now likely to be higher in the 13.50 to 15 range? Thanks again for your comment and information. Hope you are doing well.
    Apr 4 11:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Strategies For Earnings Season And Beyond [View article]
    Hello Chris,

Thanks for your comment. And I completely agree that the composition of the recent pullbacks has been notable, as high beta is now effectively flat since the beginning of March and is once again underperforming low volatility YTD. If momentum continues to fade to the downside, a test of the 200-day M.A. could soon follow. It will be interesting to see.

Thanks again.
    Apr 4 11:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Strategies For Earnings Season And Beyond [View article]
    Hello Rseye - Thanks for your comment. I agree that today was a fairly orderly sell off with utilities, various low beta defensive stocks, high yield, REITs and preferreds all up for the day and no signs of any forced liquidation. More than anything, it felt like profit taking on the high beta momentum trade. It will be interesting to see if there is any follow through to next week. Thanks again.
    Apr 4 11:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Strategies For Earnings Season And Beyond [View article]
    Hello aarc - Great commentary as always. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and perspectives on my article.
    Apr 4 11:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hello Dave,

Thanks for your comment and your kind words on my two recent articles. I genuinely appreciate it.

On a related note, I very much enjoyed your article on Dividend Aristocrats versus Dividend Champions. It is a great article and I have included a link here for readers just in case.

Thanks again!
    Mar 30 11:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hello Nick,

Thanks for your comment - I appreciate it and you have raised a number of issues worth exploring on this topic. Thanks again and sorry that UVA did not go further in the tournament. The Final Four was certainly a tough combination to pick this year!

Thanks again
    Mar 30 11:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hello JayNas - Thanks for your comment and really great point. While a list like the Dividend Aristocrats is worthwhile, it should only serve as a starting point for more in depth analysis. And to your point, a number of companies also show well in regards to current and potential future dividend growth that are nowhere close to being on the Aristocrat list today. As a result, independent research and analysis is as important as ever when managing investment portfolios.

Great points. Thanks again.
    Mar 30 11:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hello JMikeK - Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it very much!
    Mar 30 11:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Great comment thread here. And I agree in particular on the point about banks, particularly those of the TBTF variety. I also like the proverb a great deal, as I subscribe very much to this way of thinking, for if one is prepared for the worst, they are almost never unpleasantly surprised when events suddenly take a turn for the worst. And in the case of capital markets, they may even be ready to capitalize.

Great comments. Thanks.
    Mar 30 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hello Rico59,

You have hit on a key point that has caused me a great deal of worry in recent years in that many investors have entered the DGI space for the first time with the intent of staying the course during a sustained market correction without the understanding of the restraint and discipline required to stay the course when the decline in the market seems never ending. I worry that many investors may end up getting hurt in the end as a result.

With that said, I also agree with hjtheuns that while it is likely that many of the newcomers to DGI investing will likely get flushed out during the next sustained market correction, the investment strategy itself is sound and will continue on with those that have followed it with success for many years.

Thanks again for your comment and for raising some very important points.
    Mar 30 11:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hello gapwedge - Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it!
    Mar 30 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Thanks Raj - I appreciate it!
    Mar 30 11:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Requiem For Fallen Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hello Bob,

Thanks as always for your comment and for sharing your perspectives here on my article. You make a number of great points on how to effectively carry out the due diligence process, and your articles on SA are always outstanding in this regard as well.

Thanks again Bob. I appreciate it and look forward to reading your upcoming articles on SA.
    Mar 30 11:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment