Eric Parnell

View Eric Parnell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Stock Market Road Map For The Rest Of 2012 [View article]
    Hello untrusting investor,

Thanks as always for your comment. I look forward to collaborating with you on comments as we progress through the rest of 2012.

Thanks again.
    Apr 29 03:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Road Map For The Rest Of 2012 [View article]
    Hello themisanthrope,

Thanks for your comment. I agree that it is only a matter of time before the system is going to flush itself out. Excesses have been built up for the last three decades now with little opportunity to clear. And in many respects, recent policy actions are only prolonging this cleansing process and will make it more dramatic in the end. It seems more a question of when at this point, but it could be a few more years depending on how long they decide to try and drag everything out.

Thanks again.
    Apr 29 03:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Road Map For The Rest Of 2012 [View article]
    Hello thucydides123,

Thanks for your comment. You're exactly right about the second Grateful Dead inspired line, as it being on my mind was actually what led me to the first quote at the beginning. Made for good listening while writing the article last night.

Thanks again.
    Apr 29 03:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Road Map For The Rest Of 2012 [View article]
    Hello Joe Dirnfeld,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your perspectives. I agree with you completely on your second point about energy independence. While it is likely to take a number of years for it to come together, it could become a major driver of growth for the U.S. in the 21st century. Great point.

Thanks again.
    Apr 29 03:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Road Map For The Rest Of 2012 [View article]
    Hello Bob,

Thanks for your comment. I hope everything is going well with you. I agree that October in particular promises to be a very eventful month this year. Should be interesting to see.

I enjoyed your recent articles on FCX and Canadian Telecoms. Excellent analysis as always.

Thanks again Bob.
    Apr 29 03:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Economy: The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You [View article]
    Hello neutrinoman,

Thanks for your comment. This is an interesting point and one that I will go back and examine based on the information that you've cited here.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.
    Apr 27 10:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Economy: The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You [View article]
    Hello bigbonesmagoo,

Thanks for your comment. And I completely agree that the situation in Europe will have spillover effects on the rest of the global economy, as it will be nearly impossible for fragile growth to continue in the U.S. and growth in Asia is already deteriorating. As you mentioned, it is a matter of time that will be influenced by any further stimulus applied along the way.

Thanks also for the Ballmer clip! That clip makes me wince more each time I see it. I'm never sure he's not going to collapse by the time he takes the podium either. I suppose going crazy like that is a workout.

Thanks again.
    Apr 27 10:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: The Ultimate Secular Stock Market Hedge [View article]
    Hello GoguPintenogu - Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!
    Apr 27 10:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: The Ultimate Secular Stock Market Hedge [View article]
    Hello nattyzed,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it. While Gold is certainly subject to short-term volatility and can experience period pullbacks due to liquidations and increased margin requirements, the long-term fundamentals remain strong. As for the duration of the current secular bear market, your point is well taken, as each episode will experience its own evolution and follow its own course in the end. And as long as policy efforts delay the market clearing process, the current secular bear market could end up stretching on far longer than the historical average.

Great points. Thanks again.
    Apr 27 10:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: The Ultimate Secular Stock Market Hedge [View article]
    Hi untrusting investor - Thanks for sharing your current strategies in the PM space. Using options on NUGT is an interesting approach - I'm going to take a closer look into this strategy. And I agree that the short-term environment is supportive of Gold, particularly given recent dollar weakness and the potential for it to continue if we see more weak economic data perking up hopes for more Fed stimulus.

Thanks again for your comments on SA. Always excellent material.
    Apr 27 10:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: The Ultimate Secular Stock Market Hedge [View article]
    Hello untrusting investor - Thanks as always for your comment. If you wouldn't mind, keep me posted if and when you take on an allocation to Gold. I would be interested in your perspectives at that time. Thanks again.
    Apr 27 04:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Strategies For Long-Term U.S. Treasuries [View article]
    Hello Jay,

Thanks for your comment. I've enjoyed our recent comment discussions on the bond market.

In regards to TLT, it pays a dividend monthly. It typically goes ex-dividend on the first trading day of the month and pays the dividend 4-5 business days later. I've included a link to the Distributions page here.

As for the calculation of the yield, you can see that iShares provides a number of ways to calculate it at the Overview page below.

It does react like a stock by dropping in value on the day it goes ex-dividend. And as for the actual yield, you are right that various influences can go into impacting the final yield figure in any given month, although for the TLT it is almost always limited to income. But the yield from the TLT is usually slightly lower than that of the underlying bonds due to the expenses associated with the ETF product.

Hopefully this information is helpful. I look forward to collaborating with you more on perspectives on the bond market.

Thanks again.
    Apr 27 04:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: The Ultimate Secular Stock Market Hedge [View article]
    Hello GUS100CORRINA,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your perspectives and insights. This is excellent information from Egan-Jones, who I think is worth listening to to gain a more differentiated credit rating perspective versus the traditional rating agencies. And the longer that conditions are allowed to deteriorate with the U.S. fiscal condition, the more difficult it will become to overcome these challenges.

Great information and thanks too for sharing the article link too. Thanks again.
    Apr 27 04:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold: The Ultimate Secular Stock Market Hedge [View article]
    Hello readers,

Thanks for reading my article. I will be following this article up with two related articles in the near future. I look forward to discussing Gold and the themes in this article with you both today and over the weekend.

Thanks.
    Apr 27 03:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Is Why I Am Buying U.S. Bonds [View article]
    Hello Macro Economist,

Thanks for your article. You make a variety of good points and your focus on the PMI as it relates to Long-Term U.S. Treasuries is very interesting. I also think the "sheep" image associated with your account is outstanding.

I look forward to reading your future posts. Thanks again.

Apr 27 05:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment