Erik Gholtoghian

View Erik Gholtoghian's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Here's Why The U.S. Needs 16,000,000 Jobs, Yesterday [View article]
    The amazing part is when you run into people who have been in a sheltered employment situation for years. Their attitude is often not in reality at all, and they cannot understand why people are complaining about not being able to get jobs. And then they have the nerve to suggest that job seekers aren't looking hard enough for jobs.

This is while they work at a government job making 4K per month or more as a secretary without a college degree. Meanwhile, the students with multiple graduate degrees cannot even get a job as the assistant secretary.
    Sep 18 12:10 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Positioning Investments for a Debt Ceiling Decision [View article]
    What a pathetic critique. Shutting the government down is the natural result of no money to spend. Guess you didn't watch the Minnesota government shutdown for the past 20 days. It is sad that you think this is a political analysis, which it isn't. It is a financial analysis of one upcoming political event. And the analysis of the financial effects of each plan are spot on.
    Jul 24 05:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Positioning Investments for a Debt Ceiling Decision [View article]
    I think it is either the people lose now or the people lose later.
    Jul 24 05:10 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • UBS' John Hodulik slashes his subscriber estimates (I, II) for MetroPCS (PCS) and Clearwire (CLWR), as evidence grows of U.S. mobile saturation and a tough competitive environment for everyone besides AT&T and Verizon. He now sees MetroPCS losing 150K subs in Q2 (50K prior), and having a cost per gross add of $251 ($235 prior). Clearwire is now expected to post wholesale net adds (mostly Sprint-related) of 400K in Q2 (700K prior) and 1.4M in 2012 (2.3M prior).  [View news story]
    To surmise that only AT&T and Verizon have good growth prospects is beyond idiotic.

In fact, it is quite the opposite.

When is the last time you met somebody who switched over to Verizon from somewhere else? Try, never except maybe a few hillbillies out in the middle of nowhere.
    Jul 3 05:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • OIL: The Buy Of 2012 [View article]
    Overall, it seems to me you are long in oil for no other reason than it is lower than it was.

Technical analysis doesn't work.

But, there are many who will surely see the way you do.

I feel the opposite. I feel the world economy is buckling and consumers cannot afford to pay for oil anymore. This is resulting in an exodus from oil consumption really like nothing ever witnessed before. I do think oil may be stabilizing relative to weeks ago, but I don't see a bottom yet until the actual economies of the world show some kind of strength.

Overall, interesting article though.
    Jun 29 03:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Manufacturing Growth And Capital Are Moving From China To Mexico [View article]
    China has been manipulating its currency for more than two decades by barring US purchase of yuan and yuan denominated government debt. If you call yourself a managing director of anything China related and do not know that, you have some serious trouble in front of you. This is why Chinese goods have been so cheap in the US for the duration of that period, which as I said, is in the ending stages.

You are circling away from the main argument here. The main argument here is that China's growth is slowing. Where will that growth go? I ask you. Investment markets are forward-looking.
    Dec 16 03:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Excel Maritime: Another Drybulker To Bite The Dust? [View article]
    DSX is definitely best of breed in the sector. It will have trouble in this inferno as well though. If anybody makes it, DSX is the choice.
    May 25 10:36 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Real Employment Situation Please Stand Up [View article]
    I couldn't disagree with firehawk734 more. It is quite possible that finance careers will literally go extinct forever soon.
    Apr 9 08:21 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Real Employment Situation Please Stand Up [View article]
    The job growth numbers are a joke. I bet we have 5 more years of steadily decreasing numbers of employed people.

Just imagine when all the fast food places install a large ipad-like menu in the main room and for the drive through and tell those employees to hit the road. I've seen a rare few places already starting that.
    Apr 8 03:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Chinese Yuan 300% Undervalued Against The Dollar? [View article]
    I agree with 95% of your words. Although, I'd have to say China is in the driver's seat for quite some time. All of my most intelligent friends are essentially flocking to China and its neighbors to find work. And there is good work there to be found. Any country which has the best minds flocking to it is in the driver's seat, regardless of what the numbers say now or will say in the future.
    Sep 19 01:49 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Here's Why The U.S. Needs 16,000,000 Jobs, Yesterday [View article]
    Which products are American? Seems to me there aren't any.
    Sep 18 12:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gold Has Risen So Much [View article]
    Which direction the move is has no bearing on the validity of my point. Whether moves are down or up quickly and intensely doesn't necessarily mean that it is destiny that the opposite move will occur with just as much intensity and quickness. Look at the Japanese stock market; it has been down 75% for 35 years. Your logic would have been wrong in Japan for decades.

The point is: until the causes of gold's massive rise are no longer in effect, the move in gold will continue. As of now, there are few to no indications that any changes have occurred. Just because there are people are ignorantly jump on to bull markets in assets doesn't mean it is destined to crash, yet. Meaning, the real estate market didn't collapse because more people were jumping on; it collapses from a fundamental problem in which people couldn't pay their mortgages. Then the fall was swift to kill of speculators.

So gold will fall hard when it does, but that doesn't give any insight about when it will fall. For all we know, gold could rise 30% per year for 5 more years until it begins its crash.
    Sep 16 04:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Positioning Investments for a Debt Ceiling Decision [View article]
    So why don't you actually challenge a single financial assertion I have made, rather than taking the debate overly political? It is because you don't have the ability. You are pretending that I am some kind of opinionated, socialist or something, when all of my comments are right down middle just analyzing the effects of both parties' choices. I actually don't care which side wins, politically speaking. In fact, I don't even vote anymore...Your typos are egregious. My analysis is to speak on portfolio allocation decisions depending on which plan gets passed. But you seem to have missed the entire point. I guess the title "Positioning Investments for a Debt Ceiling Decision" wasn't specific enough for you, so you made up your own title and main point to argue with yourself about.
    Jul 24 08:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Positioning Investments for a Debt Ceiling Decision [View article]
    Too bad. The country can no longer afford to borrow money to pay our soldiers or blow up buildings. Bring em home. Those people wouldn't serve because they are smart. They know the wars being waged are a worthless, waste of time and money. And it is too bad for all the other workers as well. I disagree that many don't join the military to get rich. I know of one individual who doesn't even a degree in his area of work who works in the military and makes over 100K per year. These cases simply shouldn't exist. The simple question you have to answer is, when there is no more money to spend, what is more important, continuing a worthless war with essentially zero results with the consequence of firing most of the civilian government labor force, or bringing em home, and beginning to employ more people in civilian government positions? Your choice. But you can't have both. It amazes me you would immediately comment to not cut military spending. Do you think it makes more sense to borrow tremendously more to pay the military? Do you think it makes more sense to close down our government agencies? What is your solution if the military is off limits in your world?

I do appreciate your comment.
    Jul 24 08:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Positioning Investments for a Debt Ceiling Decision [View article]
    Not sure what propaganda you are referring to, or why it would have been brought to you by any party. The analysis is as middle of the road as can be.
    Jul 24 05:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment