Esekla

View Esekla's Comments BY TICKER:
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    It's possible, but less likely in my own opinion, and in the opinion of people I've consulted. It certainly wouldn't be very shareholder friendly.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    TM, I think the discussion below, including my comment covers #1 pretty well.

For numbers 2 and 3, InvenSense paid STMicro $15M in the settlement, and the timing of the latter's knock-off chips are just about right for a product development cycle. I don't think ST offered any chips with integrated motion sensors before that, so I think my interpretation has pretty good evidence supporting it. That goes for Shuttle too, in that litigation often involves a good deal of communication before it becomes public. In any case, I think we agree that the cross-licensing does preclude further litigation and that InvenSense didn't get the better of it, which is a shame because they were clearly the market innovator, regardless of patent law.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    Lots of good discussion here! To add clarity: when I saw that the share increase in the S-8 looked too large for just a simple extension of the incentive plan, I consulted a resource who knows more about share accounting than I do. It was his opinions that reinforced my conjecture that the most likely use of the stock is to make an acquisition. Despite the usual purpose of the S-8, it seems there aren't hard restrictions on how the shares can be used. The proxy should provide more clarity and I will comment on it to subscribers when the time comes. This article will probably not be public at that point.
    Jun 19, 2015. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Drunken Sailor That Is Google [View article]
    Compensation, the bottom line and stock price may or may not all be isssues.

My experience as a programmer indicates that Google does far better than most mega-corps when it comes to attracting talent, though:

Jun 18, 2015. 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    Thanks, there was too much content for me to focus on that analogy, but I thought it was an apt one.

And yes, you're correct in summarizing the Apple strategy. Note that over the long-term, the success of that strategy correlates to rich-world market share. Some think Apple is doing wonderfully in Asia and emerging markets; I don't.
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    The FitBit IPO may be another factor in the recent run-up, but that would be another fundamentally unsound factor.
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    Of interest, yes, but I'm not sure whether or not that product alone could have much of an impact on the bottom line.
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    We don't know yet, though I've commented to subscribers on the process and source of new information.
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, Apple, Google, And The Game Of IoThrones [View article]
    InvenSense is targeting autos, but success remains to be seen. If it is, it would probably be at much lower margins than the company is accustomed to, which seems to have been a concern for many.

As for drones, I've commented on their impact to subscribers in the past. Feel free to message me privately with an email address for access info.
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, By The Numbers [View article]
    The new article is now available here:

Jun 18, 2015. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Share Your Best Pair Trade And Compete For Big Prizes [View article]
    Yes, we're on the same page with regard to article content.

What I was getting at was that the article should be at least somewhat illustrative of why anyone pair trades in the first place, and general principles for varying the parameters to achieve certain goals. Is that a correct statement?

Some of the articles entered in this contest seem to portray a misunderstanding of what even constitutes a pair trade. I'm long and short many different equities. That doesn't mean any given pairing from one side with the other is actually a "pair trade", at least not as the term is typically used amongst people who make their livings this way.
    Jun 18, 2015. 12:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Pair Trade For Oil E&Ps [View article]
    Yes, that would be consistent with my opinion on Ryan Lance's team.
    Jun 18, 2015. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Share Your Best Pair Trade And Compete For Big Prizes [View article]
    This is a bit of an issue for this contest, since a common problem for pair trades is the time component. The short side wants to be in and out as quickly as possible, due to the cost of carrying, but adhering to that bumps up aganst SA's bias, and is typically tax-disadvantaged for the non-professional traders that SA caters most to.

I've tried to mitigate this in the pair trade that I've suggested, albeit by consciously giving up profitability for a certain scenario. I also suggest other alternatives, should the reader want a different risk profile. Hopefully this will be taken as instructive on how to structure pair trades, which I assume is a component of the contest, since the editors will be in no position to judge the actual return on the trade before making awards?
    Jun 18, 2015. 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense +4.5%; strong September call-buying seen [View news story]
    An article discussing the prime catalyst for the June move, amongst many other events that I think have bearing on INVN, has just been submitted.
    Jun 17, 2015. 09:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InvenSense, By The Numbers [View article]
    The next INVN article has finally been submitted. I'll post a link here when it's available.
    Jun 17, 2015. 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment