View Esekla's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dish Network gets extra time from FCC on $3B spectrum issue [View news story]
    Yes, I do. The point is that money is fungible, whether spectrum is or not. Comment in the article, not here, if you want to discuss further.
    Sep 17, 2015. 10:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon's McAdam: Earnings plateau in 2016, then off to races [View news story]
    McAdams only seems to be considering the current competition. The big question will be whether or not the FCC continues to handle spectrum in the same way:

I guess we'll see come 2017, and beyond.
    Sep 17, 2015. 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dish Network gets extra time from FCC on $3B spectrum issue [View news story]
    Two weeks isn't a long time. I wouldn't expect much of an offer from Verizon either, probably just something lower than what Dish bid but a little more than it would cost them to walk away:
    Sep 17, 2015. 03:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banks, life insurers early losers as Fed stays on hold [View news story]
    Note that all of these names sport dividends that are in the neighborhood of the nominal inflation rate, thus they are essentially break-even propositions and hopes for improvement have just been delayed yet again. The banks are just zombies in Fed-run mythical economy, but brokerages should at least be benefiting from the market volatility. I prefer a safer play that dipped initially with the rest, but rebounded much more quickly. Fundamentally, it's actually benefiting from ever expanding credit and regulation and is up modestly in response:

6%+ dividend doesn't hurt either.
    Sep 17, 2015. 03:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon launches $50 Fire tablet, new Fire TV devices, refreshed Fire HD models [View news story]
    Hopefully for Amazon these fare better than previous Fire hardware

which Amazon wound up giving away.
    Sep 17, 2015. 10:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Continental Resources: $60 Per Barrel Oil Enough To Sustain Organic Growth [View article]
    I shorted it before the article was written, and if you look at the disclosure, you'll see I only took the short side of the trade. That article even alludes to my attitude that I couldn't see anyone wanting any part of a long position in an E&P at that point. However, SA Editors wanted a pair trade, so that's what they got. That's one of many major problems here, authors are often forced to mutilate good analysis to make articles viable for compensation from SA. Anyway, if you did want to evaluate the pair, you'd also have to figure in COP's dividend, so yeah, for those who were uncertain this pair did screen the oil price variable for a substantial profit. In any case, please comment there rather than here if you want further response from me, as I won't continue to track this article.
    Sep 17, 2015. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jefferies sees significant battery advantage for Tesla Motors [View news story]
    It's a 38% increase, which would be investment-worthy for me if Tesla could achieve everything that's being contemplated and thus this price target, in a year, which it can't. The analysis cites 2020, which puts this PT well below my 20% annualized gain threshold.

In any case, I smell a rat here. The analyst just happens to be throwing a number that just about matches the bond conversion price

and gets there by comparing the 2020 projection with current technology. That's not Tesla's competition:
    Sep 17, 2015. 09:07 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, they are cutting costs, but that simply doesn't matter in the current price environment. That's why I shorted this stock down from $50

I don't understand how anyone can write article about it without analyzing the debt. Most of it doesn't come due until 2019, but if the company isn't cash flow neutral going into 2016, that could change. Thus, the only thing I want to know about Continental is its lender's plans.
    Sep 17, 2015. 08:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wunderlich cuts target on Dish Network amid spectrum 'hardball' [View news story]
    You heard it here first:

when DISH was above $65
    Sep 17, 2015. 03:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint -5.2%, bonds lose $1.5B after Moody's cuts rating [View news story]
    Yeah, and this is just the very beginning of the competition:

Over the long term the incumbents won't be immune either as they are reduced to dumb pipes, just like is happening to the cable companies, but imagine what would happen to the cable companies if their wires were managed by local government instead of owned... that's the prospect the incumbent wireless providers face.
    Sep 16, 2015. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Signs That Apple's Next Breakout May Be Its Last [View article]
    Hopefully SA still has some members with reading comprehension, who can see that the only thing that I claimed to be right about in the comment above is that AAPL would hit an all-time high as the result of the soon-to-be prior iPhone cycle. I think that's pretty undeniable and the rest will play out, as I've predicted or not, over the years to come. We'll have an opportunity to assess a first data point as next year wears on.
    Sep 14, 2015. 02:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Goldman rate-hike plays: Favor balance sheet quality, avoid floating rate debt [View news story]
    Yeah AAPL kind of epitomizes the market like that. I've already been half right there, we'll mostly see about the rest over the next 6 months, based on the parameters in this comment:

Really, though, look for good balance sheets and avoid floating rate debt in rising interest rate environments? Has Goldman taken to teaching remedial investing courses? We'll see how much scope the Fed actually winds up having to make more than token changes to interest rates. There are plenty of other tools, though.
    Sep 14, 2015. 11:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Signs That Apple's Next Breakout May Be Its Last [View article]
    For the record, AAPL hit an all-time high of 134.54 in between release cycles. Although I thought it might be higher, that fulfills the first part of the prediction made in this article.

The second part is ongoing, and thus will never be fully proven, but I think we're about to get the first and most important confirming data point over the next 6 months. Nominal inflation is minor (though real world inflation is a different story) so we'll ignore that for now. If Apple hits $135, I was wrong and it would have represented an acceptable investment from the point this article was written, at about 20% annualized gain, counting dividends and subtracting 15% LTCG tax. If not, I'll say I was right in that AAPL investors would have been better off taking profits in the run-up that followed the iPhone 6 release last year.
    Sep 14, 2015. 10:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple states initial iPhone sales on pace to top year-ago levels; shares +2.6% (updated) [View news story]
    Yes, a total # is what I will be waiting for. Apple seems to make statements like this on pretty much every release... the Watch exceeding expectations and so forth. Call me when AAPL hits a new high. I stand by my prediction that won't happen.
    Sep 14, 2015. 09:29 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What InvenSense Investors Should Look For At Apple's Event Next Week And Beyond [View article]
    Thanks for the link!

There's not any actual evidence that the sensors are integrated, though. If anything Apple's other literature implies the opposite, and either way, it wouldn't prove much for InvenSense. The integration of an always on M9 into the A9 processor may indicate a digital microphone, which could be an InvenSense win, as per this article. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for tear downs to have any chance at being sure.
    Sep 11, 2015. 07:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment