View Esekla's Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Clash Of The Titans: Qualcomm Earnings And Beyond [View article]
    I can agree that payments from China will get better, and I think QCOM may be oversold in the near-term on that basis. While this article only touched on China, the comments addressed your points above in more detail. I think what you are missing is that China can be seen as microcosm of the broader royalty problem.

At least we agree that SA is a media site with virtually no ability to assess and reward insight or even fact check. As a result, serious analysts find it progressively harder not to be drowned in a sea of junk here, and serious investors can use their valuable reading time much more effectively at other sites with better editorial standards.
    Nov 26, 2015. 10:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Clash Of The Titans: Qualcomm Earnings And Beyond [View article]
    SA editors have shown very clearly and repeatedly that they don't value correct calls like this one. Why should they, if incorrect analysis can sell just as many page views? Therefore, it's unlikely that there will be a similar article from me for quite a while, though there is plenty to write about. For those who would like to read further on the long-term wireless communication issues presented in this article, though, here are some selections from sites with far better editorial quality:

First, The Register does its usual nice job in writing up what some of the current difficulties with using WiFi for mobile phones are, even as it simultaneously describes why the open process still winds up being better:

and here's briefer history:

Then there are two more articles on where the evolution is headed:

For those who wish to read more of me analysis with practical investment implications, feel free to message me privately. There is plenty to be found freely, but more often you get what you pay for. SA management would do well to learn that too.
    Nov 25, 2015. 07:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Report: Apple to begin using OLED iPhone displays in 2018 [View news story]
    Yeah, investments go through cycles too, where investors form consensus and rather than doing math. The hype cycle has once again pushed OLED up past the price target given here

Since this news update presents just a couple of the dozens of articles I've seen about this, and since none them say anything more than what I've written about months or years ago, I wouldn't touch OLED with the proverbial ten foot pole in the current market, though LPL is another matter. There is plenty that's being missed, but SA hasn't been paying for commentary that is actually informed lately. Thanks for the volatility, though, it's been very useful!
    Nov 25, 2015. 04:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3D printing stocks post big gains ahead of Thanksgiving [View news story]
    While I agree with Eric that this is primarily short covering, I wonder if there's meant to be any practical takeaway? Simply reporting on market data is something I get in real-time from my brokers and don't need echoed in my news feed. Furthermore, as I've often mentioned, the rebate rate

is a far better indicator of short positioning than the nominal shorted float, which is always out of date, and can be fudged. That's part of what's lead me to be correct in my assertion of the bottom, when debating with another contributor, Andreas Hopf, who has been a much needed voice of caution in this so-called sector:

I again invite him to put the debate into more quantifiable (and verifiable) terms. That's what's supposed to make SA valuable to readers, not simple reporting of figures.
    Nov 25, 2015. 01:00 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chip Makers Are Racing To Deliver Universal Location Positioning To Mobile Devices [View article]
    Your assertion that software solutions require the application processor is incorrect. InvenSense's Firefly series can perform such operations independently, which is why the software API win is a good advance indicator. I have little incentive to argue the point, though; so I won't continue to track this article. I do respond in my own articles.
    Nov 25, 2015. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The author states that the first vendor to announce design wins should have a major advantage but seems unaware that InvenSense has already stated that its location positioning library adopted by a major Asian phone maker, a reported here:

This is something I've been tracking for years, and I think that software which combines the various underlying approaches discussed here will the ultimate solution.
    Nov 25, 2015. 11:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ignore Black Friday stories (except this one) [View news story]
    I happen to agree with the selection in this case and think the editor makes a very good point, however, I couldn't come close to saying that consistently and observe that highlighting some articles over others is editorializing, rather than reporting news, which is a slippery slope.

I think that's particularly relevant here in that a similar paradox to the one observed here exists for for investors who do little math of their own and only read that is free to everyone. They tend to form consensus, which turns out to be incorrect, or at the very least, severely mispriced, more often than not:

I have little incentive to argue the point, so I won't continue to track this "news" item, but I do respond in my own articles.
    Nov 25, 2015. 11:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With Fraud Allegations Settled, Amira Nature Foods Has Significant Upside Amid Strong U.S. Growth [View article]
    I agree on the unjustified sell-off due to the PP articles, and made a quite a bit of money on it. SA should have been flat-out too embarrassed to print those, but the results of the various contests show its editors have little to no market acumen. That makes sense, since its only financial motivation is to sell advertising. Still, just a tiny bit of shame or concern for its readers would go a long way toward improving this site.

The author makes a good case here, but needs to do more to convince that there won't be a restatement when filings eventually are made. A press release that there was no fraud hardly guarantees that. Furthermore, the rebate rate

shows that current rise in ANFI is due to short covering and that it is probably unsustainable over the long term. When SA irresponsibly published the PP articles was the time to do analysis a take a position, not now. I would treat the price targets in this article with similar skepticism.
    Nov 25, 2015. 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Continental Has Production Costs As Cheap As They Come And A 25% Production Growth Rate [View article]
    "an industry price recovery is inevitable."

Oh really? Why exactly is that, and in what time frame?
    Nov 24, 2015. 10:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ocata CEO Gift Wraps Ocata, Sells Out Shareholders, SEC Filing Shows [View article]
    Indeed. You could and should have edited out much more. The idea that there is any story to be investigated here that wasn't already evident at this point,

over year ago, is sadly humorous. The time for analysis was then, not now. Though, true to editorial form, SA did offer another opportunity by publishing an even worse short article a while back. That made me a little more money on this stock. Now though, speculat^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H investors should simply look to learn from history here

or else go looking for the next big opportunity to go throw money away on. I'm sure SA will provide plenty more such opportunities on a regular basis.
    Nov 24, 2015. 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon May Be Topping Out [View article]
    I did, as a general market hedge. We saw a very similar pattern the last time Amazon had a third quarter surprise like the most recent one:
    Nov 23, 2015. 03:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google/Alphabet Move For Greene Demonstrates Weakness [View article]
    "Price sells cloud, scale drops price, and price plus scale creates lock-in."

You're right about that, but that's not all there is to it. The actual API and back-end technology matter too, though they only tend to show themselves in speed of development and outages. That's where Google has a big edge.

Another area where you are right is that Google needs to make up the marketing gap, to show the point above. This article

pointed out that marketing is actually the biggest advantage AWS has. If Google is about to change that, Amazon investors should worry.
    Nov 20, 2015. 09:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google buys startup launched by VMware co-founder, puts her in charge of cloud businesses [View news story]
    Speaking of which, it's Amazon that should be worried, more than Rackspace. Recent stock price movement shows that investors going on the belief (more of a hope, really) that AWS can balance the retail business.
    Nov 19, 2015. 07:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exchanges canceling erroneous Time Warner Cable trades from brief period [View news story]
    It's past time exchanges start taking responsibility for getting their business right.
    Nov 19, 2015. 07:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • FCC chairman: T-Mobile video initiative 'highly competitive' [View news story]
    I've yet to see evidence that the FCC actually understands what innovation and competition really means. There's evidence that could be changing

but I'm not counting on it.
    Nov 19, 2015. 04:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment