Everyday Finance

View Everyday Finance's Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sprott PHYS vs. GLD ETF - Pairs Trade in Gold Funds Works Out Well [View article]
    At 13% I wouldn't consider the premium too rich now for reasons mentioned. But premium likely to spike again as new investors flock to physical gold each time the market gets skittish.
    May 27, 2010. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pairs Trade to Exploit NAV Premium in Physical Gold Fund vs. GLD [View article]
    Just to update, today's close:

GLD Up .5%
    PHYS Down 2.4%

That's a spread of about 3% in a single day on this virtually risk-free arb. I will wait for another few percent and then unload. Not huge money, as pairs trades rarely are, but given the inverse relationship seeking some alpha out of the arb, I do believe the timing and strategy of my article has been worth your while.
    May 12, 2010. 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I used Ameritrade. No problem finding shares to short.
    Happy shorting!
    So far, slightly in the money on position.
    May 11, 2010. 07:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Gold ETFs Stack Up Against the Price of Gold Itself [View article]
    Is the premise here that State Street Advisors, who oversees GLD, but also SPY - probably the most prominent ETF in the world, would screw millions of investors at some random point in the future and debase the ETF by admitting (or not backing) claims with gold? I realize the prospectus lists out all kinds of risks, which many do, but given how the most sophisticated investors in the world rely on GLD for their gold positions, I just don't find this conspiracy theory to be credible.

Note also that of the 558 comments mr. 55whatever above have left, they're almost the same spammy anti-ETF pro-gold coin screed.

Who's disingenuous?
    May 6, 2010. 06:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Gold ETFs Stack Up Against the Price of Gold Itself [View article]
    Up tight much? Oh, another conspiracy theorist that believes GLD is a big Ponzi scheme. Look, investors have utilized GLD for years to invest in gold. It is highly liquid and the biggest hedge fund managers on earth invest in it. Perhaps you know something George Soros doesn't? Somehow, I doubt it.
    May 6, 2010. 04:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Trade Continued Greek Contagion [View article]
    I have to beg to differ. While all asset classes took it on the chin during the financial meltdown and the notion of emerging markets distancing themselves from correlation with US/EU equities fell apart in '08/09, this situation is different. It is very much local to the Euro zone. I would anticipate that yes, perhaps ex-soviet block emerging economies and northern africa may suffer a bit if the Euro zone deteriorates, but Taiwan? Brazil? China?

I would anticipate that as the US consumer continues to buy cheap goods and command commodities from Asia Pacific and South America, these markets will continue to thrive. This Greece issue may spill into Portugal and Greece, but is unlikely to send the entire globe into a tailspin (IMO).
    Apr 28, 2010. 03:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Continue to Favor High Yield ETFs – What About When Music Stops? [View article]
    Please enlighten me. Opening 70-100% refers to S&P500 vs Emerging Mkts, other numbers were checked as of writing. Inflows appeared in multiple sources recently. If you'd share actual inaccuracies would be glad to correct.
    Apr 15, 2010. 08:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Dividend ETFs Rally Next? [View article]
    Good point. To rephrase, Obama is not catering to investors. If looking at who benefits from virtually every handout from mortgage modifications to health care, it is generally not the investor class- and leaning more left than right.
    Mar 31, 2010. 06:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Dividend ETFs Rally Next? [View article]
    There are two schools of thought on high dividend payout investments. Some feel it's best to leave them out of a tax-deferred account because the rate on dividends is only 15% whereas cap gains are higher. However, I tend to favor these in a self-directed IRA. Why? I tend to hold my cap-gains type stocks for a long time, whereas I'm getting a dividend every quarter (or even monthly), so I'm always getting taxed in a taxable account even if it is at a lower rate.

And to make this clear as mud, I do not anticipate the administration is going to leave tax rates on dividends OR capital gains untouched. They simply can't and it's not politically popular on the left to not tax those "rich investors". Probably 80% of the left's voting base does not have a sizable stake in self-directed dividend investments. Most is in 401K/other or not at all. So, I see no reason why they won't raise tax rates. Until we know how that changes the equation, it's tough to say where the balance will land. In the absence of such knowledge, I personally tend to favor a tax-advantaged account but that's just me.
    Mar 30, 2010. 10:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Two Market Neutral ETF, Options Strategies for Flat / Declining Market [View article]
    I should clarify that the option strategy requires at least a "slight" trend down in the S&P500, as opposed to a zero move if there are any nitpickers out there.
    Jan 27, 2010. 06:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Just How Well Do You Know Your ETF? [View article]
    I've been burned as well. I went into USO thinking I had this great energy hedge. And my hedges got trimmed. You live and you learn. Now, I sell UGA to hedge my gasoline prices; don't fall for USL either - similar trap.
    Jan 14, 2010. 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Time for High Yield Investments if Market Has Peaked? [View article]
    Hi Realold,
    I'm not a bond dealer; I disclosed my positions at the end of the article, which comprise a small portion of a diversified portfolio (which is primarily long equities btw). The intent of the article is to provide readers with some additional investment vehicles they may not have been familiar with or considered otherwise.

When will the Fed raise rates again? Your guess is as good as mine. Today, venerable experts are predicting another housing correction in 2010 and a jobless recovery whereby unemployment will remain above 8% for years to come. Contrast that with a weakening dollar which may entice the Fed to raise rates to stave off hyperinflation.

On currencies, don't forget that during the financial crisis when the world was ending, guess where all the money went - to the old, safe US dollar - even though the crisis was created here! Investors were actually accepting negative yields on short duration Treasuries just to get out of risky assets. This carry trade may very well unwind in raucous fashion one of these days.

Who knows? The bottom line is that if your portfolio is devoid of income investments and the market moves sideways for the next 3 years, you may look back and wish you picked up some income investments back in 2009.
    Dec 2, 2009. 08:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Five ETFs from Last Week - FAZ, SRS, PGM, GAZ, GLD [View article]
    On DRV, yes it did outperform; missed that one.

On EDZ while it had a big Friday it was only up marginally on the week so not included.

Thanks for your comment
    Nov 30, 2009. 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Options Play on Apple [View article]
    TCK- With volatility at a very low level tha value just isn't there now. I could only get another 1000 or so for another decent call but would have to cap upside pretty close and just shelled out 4k for buyback. So I opted to take a little cash out due to portfolio imbalance as well.

On Wash Sale- you're totally right. Freudian slip! I'm sitting on losses elsewhere in the portfolio and the topic is on my mind but wrt a gain, no concerns then. Thanks for pointing out!
    Oct 22, 2009. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swine Flu Stocks: Where Are They Now? [View article]
    Losing 1/3 to 1/2 value in an up market
    over the course of a month is a pretty bad sign.

Vaccine is shipping this week. No doubt, the swine flu hype and conversation was a net positive for many of these companies to tout their new technologies and in some cases, win some tenders for supply, but on a long term fundamentals basis, was it a game changer? Doesn't appear so and shares seem to be reflecting that in recent weeks IMO.
    Oct 5, 2009. 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment