Everyday Finance

View Everyday Finance's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How to Profit from First Day of Month Gains in the Markets [View article]
    This has worked for 10 years. It's still working.

The reason many people poo-poo it is becau using a 1X ETF like SPY delivers marginal returns due to commissions. I've laid out leverage and my results - speak for themselves.
    Feb 4 08:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Profit from First Day of Month Gains in the Markets [View article]
    Anecdotally, I always hear of trading unloading into a weekend, but never looked at it. Something I may consider if I ever get the time!
    Feb 3 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Profit from First Day of Month Gains in the Markets [View article]
    It would be a fair amount of manual effort to dig out, but I suspect there'd be no statistically significant difference observed. Kind of like flipping a coin. Even if you had 5 heads in a row, the odds of getting heads on the 6th flip are still 50/50. In this case, what I found was that there's no clear # of ups or downs in a row month over month - it's totally random. Hence, best to keep a steady bankroll per month, employ the same strategy to remove additional random variation.
    Feb 3 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Profit from First Day of Month Gains in the Markets [View article]
    Yes, this was based on SPY daily prices over 10 years.
    Feb 3 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With Yields This Low, Is Shorting Treasuries the Trade of the Century? [View article]
    I might have been a few days early...but bonds are crashing. The game is over; I don't see how yields can get back to where they were in October.
    Dec 13 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Muni Bond Market Imploding: How to Play It? [View article]
    NQI has now dropped below that level, down over 6% in the past 5 trading sessions alone, while S&P500 is up. The decline is en route.
    Dec 13 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Muni Bond Market Imploding: How to Play It? [View article]
    New York Times article on new crisis - Municipal Debt.

www.nytimes.com/2010/1...
    Dec 5 07:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Reasons You Need More Emerging Markets Exposure, And How to Play It [View article]
    Yup, did a Frontier Markets review here. Now, that's some Beta!

www.etfbase.com/fronti...
    Dec 3 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Short Gold - If You Dare [View article]
    You're right; thanks for pointing out; I must have carried through my thought from the prior bullet. This is a conventional put. Thanks
    Nov 27 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Rare Earth Metals ETF Off to a Running Start [View article]
    Very speculative IMO. I'd reserve for that part of the portfolio.
    Nov 2 08:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Key ETFs to Watch if QE2 Happens in November [View article]
    I write on both and I highlight/caution when something is more of a risk trade than a long-term investment. Transparency is the best policy.
    Oct 25 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Short Gold - If You Dare [View article]
    I've gotta be honest and admit directionally, I don't have a firm feel for gold. I tend to do well with equities sentiment but gold behaves oddly IMO (like why did it stall and drop earlier in yr as fundamentals continued to deteriorate, and now, isn't QE2 already priced in???). I'm net long w small position but I'm not in heavily by any means. More of a trade.
    Oct 14 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Worst ETFs of 2010 (So Far) [View article]
    Since you left this comment, PWND is still underperforming SPY.
    Oct 9 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice! I'm looking to refi into a 15 yr at 3.625% as we speak!
    Oct 7 08:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insane Pattern: Stocks Gain More on First Day of Month Than Rest of Month Combined [View article]
    Well, right, wrong or indifferent, there are over 100 data points with a very clear working strategy. Evidently, this anecdote has been out there for some time, especially if the USAToday is writing about it, and market arbitrage has yet to wipe out the benefit. So, until that happens, I'll keep on playin'.

Working out nicely so far today, market is up!
    Oct 1 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment