Factoids

View Factoids' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How Much Dividend Income Growth Do You Need? [View article]
    Poll - click the Like button if you agree with the following
    I do not know my portfolio dividend CAGR - this is a new concept for me.
    Feb 16 06:56 AM | 441 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Dividend Income Growth Do You Need? [View article]
    Poll - click the Like button if you agree with the following
    I would like to see examples of the same portfolios that sum to $750,000
    Feb 16 06:58 AM | 286 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Dividend Income Growth Do You Need? [View article]
    Poll - click the Like button if you agree with the following
    I would like to see examples of the same portfolios that sum to $250,000
    Feb 16 06:58 AM | 207 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Dividend Income Growth Do You Need? [View article]
    Poll - click the Like button if you agree with the following
    I know my portfolio dividend CAGR (compound annual growth rate).
    Feb 16 06:55 AM | 160 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Dividend Income Growth Do You Need? [View article]
    Poll - click the Like button if you agree with the following
    I plan to spend capital in retirement, so the question does not really apply to me.
    Feb 16 06:57 AM | 40 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLP Brokerage Analysts Are Worthless [View article]
    Rohrshack wrote "I wondered if anyone else uses TA in making decisions regarding MLPs?"

I have done reader polls on message boards - but I have never done on at Seeking Alpha. I have never polled on the question of the use of TA. I believe you in the minority in using it with MLPs.

Speaking of polls - I am wondering if this audience would participate if I were to use the comment section of the articles I write to do a poll. If you are willing to do that in upcoming articles - click "Like" on this response.

I should have done this kind of test at the top of the comment section. And I should provide a way to make a NO vote. So I will let anyone responding to this post the NO option.
    Feb 11 12:32 PM | 38 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Dividend Income Growth Do You Need? [View article]
    Examples for 60 Plan B, the mid 70s and mid 80s portfolio for a $750,000 portfolio have now been posted on my InstaBlog.
    Feb 16 09:50 AM | 36 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Invest With A Property-Type Bias? [View article]
    Poll Question 1 - I would like to see more comparisons like the "HCN vs. HCP" text.. The few examples give were not enough for me.
    Mar 19 08:55 AM | 30 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Invest With A Property-Type Bias? [View article]
    Poll Question 3 - The data on earning projection accuracy is something that I have never seen before. It helped me understand the concept of required rates of return.
    Mar 19 08:57 AM | 29 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Invest With A Property-Type Bias? [View article]
    Poll Question 2 - The concept of "required rates of return" is still new to me. I would like to see more examples in different sectors before I really buy in to this idea.
    Mar 19 08:56 AM | 27 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Right Now Is The Wrong Time To Be Buying Healthcare REITs [View article]
    The full set of lines in the added verse:

Well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
    And I went to pick her up in the rain
    But before I could get to the station in the pick-up truck
    She got runned over by a damned old train
    Dec 3 12:45 PM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Invest With A Property-Type Bias? [View article]
    Poll Question 2 - The concept of "required rates of return" is one to which I am already familiar.
    Mar 19 08:56 AM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Invest With A Property-Type Bias? [View article]
    Poll Question 1 - The examples given in the article were sufficient.
    Mar 19 08:55 AM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Basic MLP Lessons From The Q1-14 Data [View article]
    ATrautmann asked "What about the GPs (or the IDR owning general partners)?"

If one is going to beat the Alerian index, then one has to own some GPs. Close to 22% of my total MLP portfolio is in GPs. If I did not need the immediate income, that allocation would be much higher.

At this point in time, I can not tell the GP story without using a heck of a lot of numbers. And I am lacking a headline that will draw readers. I am not interesting in doing a labor intensive article that few will read and even less will understand. For example, I would compare the CAGR vs. CAGR ratio (of the GP vs. the MLP) to the yield vs. yield ratio to produce valuation judgements. That is "can of worms" number one. I would also need to write on the topic of "portfolio CAGRs" once again. Few people do that calculation. And I do not believe I convinced those who project their portfolio CAGR numbers that LTM "dividend growth inertia" is a terrible way to do that calculation. That is "can of worms" number two.
    But if 40 or so readers respond to a "like" to your question, then I will re-think the situation. Thanks for inadvertently posting a question that I can use as a "poll". This comment section was lacking a poll - and I hated that situation.
    Apr 3 11:16 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Dividend Income Growth Do You Need? [View article]
    woppenhe - I think you have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

I have been investing using the tool of five year forward dividend and distribution projections for about a decade. The CAGR projections have aided my assessments of valuations. I have had superior returns - and superior dividend and distribution growth. There are a large number of fellow investors doing the same - with the same kind of results.

I fully disclosed that there are big problems using a 5 year CAGR projection as a 20 year projection. I noted that as CAGR projections change, portfolio conponents need to change.

woppenhe wrote "Over some period of time, a stock's return may be mostly dividends; and over other intervals, it may be largely price appreciation. What really matters is the total return of the portfolio over time, and that information is given on most brokerage statements."

I noted that I live on the income that "appears" in my bank account from dividend and distributions. And I can predict that. I have no idea what value the market is going to place on my holdings 12, 24 or 60 months from now. If the price has gone up for my income producing stocks, it will largely be due to their income (or dividends and distributions) increasing. I choose to have more certainty - more certainty compared to a plan that depends on "total return" where price appreciation is a component in the calculation.

In my world - it is dividend security and dividend growth that matters. And there are no forward dividend CAGR projections on my brokerage statements.

We can argue for days about who is right and who is wrong. The bottom line - your advice does not fit me, my temperament, or my perception of retirement investing. .
    Feb 17 04:15 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment