Faisal Laljee

View Faisal Laljee's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why It's Time to Buy Google, Apple [View article]
    I do look at charts. But give me one chart that looks good in this market.

Also, charts are good for hind sight. For example, I can point you to 5 different support levels for both Google and Apple that technicians can use between current levels and a 20% up or down from these levels. Bottom line - charts need to be used in conjuction with market psychology and fundamentals. You were quick to point the decline in Apple the day after I published the article. However, that had nothing to do with Apple. It had everything to do with the 500 point drop that took down every thing. Similarly the bounce back in Apple since is also attributable to the market bounce. How do your charts explain crashing through multiple support levels and breaking through multiple resistance levels all within 2 days? What happened to your trends? Use charts but I also advise the occasional common sense.
    Sep 19 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal-Maine Foods: Ready to Cook [View article]
    Yahoo Finance --> Key Statistics --> Short as a % of Float
    Aug 19 08:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Priceline and Visa: Two Stocks To Buy Now [View article]
    One more thing to add. There is a company called Greendot which specializes in issuing Visa debit cards for students, minors, travelers and those that can't qualify for credit, yet want the security of plastic. Even H&R Block's rapid refund program issues your tax refund via a Visa debit card. I wonder when federal government tax refunds will be issued via Visa. Soon I presume.
    Aug 7 09:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Priceline and Visa: Two Stocks To Buy Now [View article]
    Lloydt - Yes exactly right. Also, where companies like AT&T, Sprint, Symantec and others used to send out rebate checks, they are now sending out debit cards, which is again good for Visa.
    Aug 7 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Priceline and Visa: Two Stocks To Buy Now [View article]
    Mathman - Priceline has zero competitive advantage you say? Do you know how bad Travelzoo's and Orbitz's earnings were? Do you see anyone else offer a bid price model? Did you notice that despite growing at 3 times the average S&P stock, it is priced cheaper than the average S&P index?
    Aug 7 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal-Maine Foods: Ready to Cook [View article]
    I own the stock for the reasons mentioned, not the other way round. At least I am putting my money where my mouth is.
    Aug 6 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal-Maine Foods: Ready to Cook [View article]
    Actually they do pass along the higher cost to the consumer by pricing their product higher. Not sure where the confusion is. They own the chickens and can charge as much as they want for their eggs.

You are right in that there are no analysts which is actually even better because it doesn't have a wide network of coverage yet. I meant to say fund managers and hedge fund operators who own the stock.

Eggs have 6g of protein. A dozen eggs will therefore have 84g of protein and costs $2. To get the same kind of protein from a chicken breast, fish or steak, you will spend $5-$15 depending on what you buy. Not sure if your question was a sarcastic one.

Actually gas is a lot more elastic than one might think but thats a separate argument. People don't buy cars at a 20% premium just to look good, yet Prius is one of the best selling cars these days. Surely you are not comparing food with transportation. If you have ten dollars in your pocket, would you drive somewhere or feed yourself first?
    Aug 5 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix-Microsoft Partnership May Define the Future of Movie Distribution [View article]
    Ishortyou - you have got to be kidding if you think that consoles are dinosaurs. Being a PC and a console owner, I can assure you this is not the case.

If anything, games on a PC might become extinct soon, specially if you look at the next generation of gaming. Consoles are now starting to get game downloads and other applications formerly only available on the PC, such as Web browsers.

Incompatibility issues, risk of crashing your computer and graphics are a big reason why PC is not the gaming platform it used to be prior to the PS2/Xbox era.

Finally, are you kidding about PC's being cheaper? A decent gaming PC costs twice as much as an XBox 360 or PS3 console. The only thing you could argue is that PC Games are cheaper than console games but then again, most people exchange games with friends or rent it.
    Jul 18 02:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America is Still a Buy [View article]
    Yes I was very wrong as was anyone who bought any of the financials.
    Jul 14 10:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Time to Bet Against Oil? [View article]
    One thing to understand about the Saudi's is that they and the oil producing nations have it in their best interest to keep oil priced moderately high, but certainly not exhorbitant. I would think they want oil to be around $75 or so because its the sweet spot where they will keep making lots of money and governments around the world would be too passive to consider alternative sources too seriously. How often do you hear T Boone Pickens wanting to buy wind energy, coal and solar energy sources?

I do agree that we will get used to $140 per barrel, just like Iraqi's got used to Saddam, Afghanis got used to Taliban and we got used to Bush and his policies. But I am not sure if "getting used to something" is how we want to be.
    Jul 9 04:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion's Pullback is an Opportunity [View article]
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stock drops a little. iPhone sales have got to be very weak in the 2nd quarter given that people would have been waiting for the new iPhone. Of course, once the new iPhone is released, sales will hit the 10 million unit mark easily before the end of the year, but then their guidance during the upcoming release is not expected to be very good given that they like to sandbag their numbers. I expect the stock to pull back after earnings.
    Jul 8 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Two Stalled Retailers To Consider Buying [View article]
    I own CROX and UA. The disclosure was part of my post but somehow the SA editors might have missed it. You can check out the original date and post on my website at stocksandblogs.com

Incidentally, I added to my UA position today after the ridiculous downgrade by UBS.
    Sep 26 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffet's Portfolio [View article]
    Many investors pile into the Buffett owned to piggy back on his success. If he were suddenly not an investor in the rail stocks for example, I believe other investors would pull out as well. That does not change how great a company is, but it sure affects the stock price.
    Sep 25 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • iPhone Price Drop Is A Bad Sign [View article]
    Do you own one?
    Sep 7 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • iPhone Price Drop Is A Bad Sign [View article]
    How come you don't own one?
    Sep 7 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment