Far Horizon

View Far Horizon's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • What's Wrong With Emerging Markets ETFs? [View article]
    Totally agree. I have written a few articles about investingin emerging markets, both via country ETF options, CEFs and ADRs. This series started a couple of years ago with a foundation article that proposes a balanced approach to picking EM allocations market by market.
    I also favour global companies that have high EM exposure as a low risk EM play, preferring non US stocks where valuation and currency headwinds are higher. Check out Prudential in UK, Nestle, HSBC, Siemens, Unilever.
    Jun 24, 2015. 06:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Correction 2015? Be Prepared To 'Buy The Dip' [View article]
    I couldn't agree more, I have been selling puts on my target stocks and ETFs for the last year or so. Contrary to the author I prefer shorter duration to allow me to adjust to a more prolonged or drawn out market fall. Trading costs not having a big impact on my low brokerage account.
    I wait for a nice down day for a target stock which pushes the option premium up. Typically selling for 5-10% below current price, depending on how much I like the stock. Usually 4-6 weeks duration and premiums as close to 10% annual equivalent return as I can. Currently holding VTR, O, GDXJ, PSX, MSFT, NUE, RY, XLE. AFL, GILD short puts. My list is in more volatile stocks as I find the classic dividend champions generate lower option premiums. Will add to these from cash if pricing comes into my target. MSFT, NUE, GILD and AFL positions I picked up following a drop on a "bad news day" which I saw as overreaction. I like the ETF options to make a sector play and thus avoid getting hit by a bad assignment on a single stock (see SDRL below.)
    So far going ok. Got a nasty assignment on SRDL when it fell off the cliff which hurt, but over the last 12 months I have been able to absorb that and still meet my 10% return target. My only concern is that the market continues to drift up, and these are all realised, thus taxable profits. I need a correction to be able to enter longer term positions at a reasonable price. Selling puts is a short term strategy for a toppy choppy market but a lot of work for a part time investor.
    May 29, 2015. 07:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bill Gross: March Madness [View article]
    Blank....no worries mate.
    Will think about an article on TRV, I am not writing much at the moment as my day job is keeping me pretty busy right now!
    UW Reserve analysis is a pretty rich topic. You could probably Google some decent papers on the topic from the Casualty Actuarial Society, but those guys get complex quickly. In a nutshell, Insurers disclose reserve triangles in their financial statements. These show the history of each accident year as it matures over time, and you can see the pattern of "incurred claims" which are those paid out already plus those lodged by clients but not yet paid out, and " incurred but not reported" claims which they know must be out there, but haven't been lodged yet. Watching how consistently these numbers move over the years can tell a lot about the quality of the business and also how management is behaving - but only to the informed eye. Anything inconsistent, or " lumpy" in the triangles is a hint to look deeper.
    Sorry if this is too high level......its a tough thing to explain without examples etc.
    Apr 18, 2015. 04:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bill Gross: March Madness [View article]
    Blank blank, good to see a fellow Aussie on SA. I am not sure if there's a book on how to evaluate insurance companies. You might find this article a useful place to start your thought process. http://seekingalpha.co...
    TRV is a nice stock, and more of an underwriting than investment driven model. With insurance stocks, please be careful!
    Apr 18, 2015. 12:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4% Dividend Yield Portfolio: Take Advantage Of The Volatility [View article]
    Thanks Ron. The other impact of volatility that I like is that it makes writing options a more compelling strategy. As an example the May 80 puts on VNQ are trading at .50, on a positive day for the ETF. This generates an annualised yield of 5.2% if not assigned, or an entry point of 79.5 on the ETF. I like to wait for a day when the price is down to maximise the option price. In this environment there is a good chance of assignment, and with short duration puts the risk of overpaying for the stock is somewhat mitigated. With a series of overlapping puts at my target entry point, find I can I usually develop a meaningful position over a few months more efficiently than by buying the dips. For a position I am really keen on, a put closer to the money or mixing in straight purchases has also proved effective.
    Apr 2, 2015. 06:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Peaks And Valleys: Why Big Oil Is A Bargain [View article]
    Totally agree - if investing vs trading, averaging in to the majors over 12-18 months seems a compelling strategy. I am also watching the alternatives - ESP solar carefully for entry points.
    Mar 30, 2015. 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Earnings Recession Of 2015: Stock Market In Danger? [View article]
    It's always worth reading press from the other side of the pond. Headline from today's FT...." US corporate profits heading for second consecutive quarterly decline". I usually find good analysis at FT.com......
    Mar 6, 2015. 11:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Earnings Recession Of 2015: Stock Market In Danger? [View article]
    So there are prettier blocks?!
    Mar 6, 2015. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Markets Scorecard 2014 - Which Will Outperform In 2015? [View article]
    Thanks for picking up that error! Luckily it doesn't detract too much from the article.
    Jan 20, 2015. 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kimbo, I agree that many great developed market stocks have emerging market exposure, and this is one of the things I consider when evaluating candidates. A couple of things make direct EM exposure attractive to me for an allocation of my portfolio; diversification from the performance of major indices, lower comparative valuations, but most important, focussed exposures on the fastest growing economies in the world.
    A strategy of targeting established stocks with global footprints is a lower risk way to get EM exposure, but for me is only part of the puzzle.
    Jan 5, 2015. 05:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes....long greenback was a gimme in 2014. One of my better calls was short AUD/USD. Looking like all 1 way traffic this year too unless China pulls a rabbit out of the hat and commodity demand picks up.
    Jan 5, 2015. 04:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SC - I couldn't agree more on currency. For many EMs that's a debt problem, so I highlight that element in my article. With Russia, an economy built around a single commodity which devalues fast and hard has proven to take the currency with it.....currency hedged plays are helpful.....but costly!
    Jan 5, 2015. 04:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pof, congrats on some great picks! I see India is a big contributor for you. My own guess is that the next 12 months will see harder yards for that part. Best of luck with your ADR basket for 2105.
    Jan 5, 2015. 04:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Canadian Dollar Is Under Pressure [View article]
    Andrew, interested to see this and your article on the Aussie. Both face downward pressure from similar factors. I see the Loonie/ Aussie parity having slipped in favour of the Loonie last 12 months.....what's your view on the future outlook for the pair?
    Jan 5, 2015. 03:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment BB. I visit Vietnam and many other countries in the region on multiple Asian trips every year, and completely agree with you. It has a different feel to other Asian markets.....a long way to go to reach developed status, but it feels like a good time to get in on the development curve.
    Jan 5, 2015. 02:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment