FinancialStorm

View FinancialStorm's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Forecasting Dividend Growth Of The Top 25 Holdings Of Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF [View article]
    thanks, will take a look. always love to hear specific suggestions.
    May 14 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • International Equities With 10+ Years Dividend Growth: UK Edition [View instapost]
    It's been a while, but I did it through a screen on a bloomberg terminal that i wrote myself. i used local currency in judging whether the dividend had increased, so it may not have in us dollars or other currencies.
    May 13 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading and writing. When I'm looking for ideas, I'm certainly guilty of checking the top holdings of a few ETFS, such as VIG and VYM, and funds, such as SEQUX.
    May 13 09:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Great, thanks for reading and writing.
    May 12 09:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Don't know and I think it's a great question (particularly as I'm long PG myself...:P). They do say they track the NASDAQ US Dividend Achievers Select Index, so you might look there first. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 12 06:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not sure why McDonald's wouldn't show up strongly. They say they track the NASDAQ US Dividend Achievers Select Index and weight in roughly the same manner. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 12 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading and commenting. I have a lot of respect for Vanguard and would probably add this ETF as a component of my portfolio (which includes a number of individual equities as well) if the current yield was higher.
    May 12 06:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF Primed For Dividend Growth? [View article]
    yes, certainly. my apologies for not being explicit. it didn't actually occur to me to just average the numbers, so i didn't think to make clear how i did it...i thought about putting in the spreadsheet, but it seemed more like evidence that i did what i said than adding new insight. :P
    May 1 03:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I just reread your comment. To make my answer more explicit from your example, I did account for yield directly before putting it together. I followed your "Correct year 2 dividend" but for all 25 stocks.
    May 1 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I did not take a direct average. Rather, let's take XOM for example. At the present yield, it generates a certain distribution. After application of dividend growth, it generates a new amount. I did that for each holding. Holdings where I "forecast" no growth generated the same income after 1 year. After that, I added the total distributions for each holding and compared at the portfolio level.
    May 1 09:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Certainly maintain an emergency fund, but I'm thinking beyond that. If college costs 30k / year for 6 years (call it 2 kids), it makes sense to me that you would want your portfolio generating income during that time period before switching back to accumulation. i suppose 10 years before you could section off a portion of the portfolio, but I'm unclear what you do if the market crashes 3 years before college and doesn't recover rapidly.
    Apr 30 10:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    This might actually be a good point to raise a thought i've had. To me, the real problem is that life doesn't necessarily break down into 2 parts: 1) accumulate and 2) spend. For instance, if you have children, you might shift into spend during the college years and then back into accumulate. If you have a medical emergency or lose a job, you might need to shift into spend for a short amount of time and back to accumulate. So you can either turn the portfolio over or shift from reinvesting to distributing and back when appropriate...of course then you need holdings that are "reasonable" for both modes. Thoughts?
    Apr 30 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'll chime in too. I agree with in so far as an individual is interested in and has the time to perform due diligence. However, there are a number of people who want to invest but don't want to invest in common stocks individually, and thinking through appropriate options there is important. Also, you can use an ETF or combination of ETFs/funds as "ballast" in a portfolio and choose common stocks around that. Lots of ways to make the puzzle fit together.
    Apr 27 01:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for reading and writing. A lot there to think about. One thing that immediately jumps out is that you do have to check-in as the ETFs rebalance if you are skimming off the top holdings. I'm pretty sure Apple wasn't in the portfolio last year, for instance, or at least not with such weighting.

Certainly when I started putting together my own portfolio, I looked at the top holdings of ETFs such as VIG and VYM (and some mutual funds I like) as starting points for "ideas".
    Apr 27 11:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Btw, this sort of analysis is fairly straight forward. Would people be interested in seeing similar calculations on other ETFs, such as VIG? Feel free to click "like" to express interest.
    Apr 26 01:52 PM | 33 Likes Like |Link to Comment