FinancialStorm

View FinancialStorm's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    Thanks for the tip. I have ACN on my watchlist but haven't liked the price yet.
    Dec 1, 2014. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    Thanks for reading and writing. I'd love to own a few water utilities but haven't liked the prices (although they seem to always be expensive). For energy, I don't know enough about the sector to make intelligent decisions, so I get my exposure elsewhere. If prices keep going down, I'm considering a sector ETF and then forgetting it for a few years.
    Dec 1, 2014. 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    great, thanks for reading and writing. hoping to write more after the holidays.
    Nov 21, 2014. 07:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    I imagine everyone's seen the news, but INTC just announced a dividend increase and 2015 guidance.
    Nov 20, 2014. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    Great, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Nov 20, 2014. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    Hi, thanks for reading and commenting.

I think there were several reasons. Here are a few off the top of my head:
    1) I was moving out of a bond fund that I'd held for several years before starting this portfolio, and it made it pretty straight forward to transition into an ETF instead of purchasing a bunch of stocks that I didn't like the valuations of or going to cash, which i also wasn't interested in.
    2) I've been under a lot more time pressure which impacts my ability to look for new investment opportunities (magnified by it feeling harder to find value at the time) so having a chunk of the portfolio in a low-cost etf that I felt would do what I was looking for made sense.

I'm likely done adding to VYM, but as I mentioned I might add a second ETF (I doubt more) as well as individual equities as opportunity arises.

Hope that answers somewhat...
    Nov 19, 2014. 07:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    thanks!
    Nov 19, 2014. 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Growth Portfolio Update: November 2014 [View article]
    that's based on morninstar's data and is taken over 5 years. The dividend is currently frozen, but if you look back five years and compare now to then, you'll get a "growth rate". It's a good example of not relying on just one or two "stats" to tell the whole story.

thanks for reading and commenting.
    Nov 19, 2014. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Professor Plans His Own EnDOWment Fund For Retirement [View article]
    I have a 403b, but it has an option to self-direct the investments (which you have to elect instead of the menu of options). if yours doesn't, you might talk with your HR about improving the investment options.
    Oct 7, 2014. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forecasting Dividend Growth Of The Top 25 Holdings Of Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF [View article]
    thanks, will take a look. always love to hear specific suggestions.
    May 14, 2014. 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • International Equities With 10+ Years Dividend Growth: UK Edition [View instapost]
    It's been a while, but I did it through a screen on a bloomberg terminal that i wrote myself. i used local currency in judging whether the dividend had increased, so it may not have in us dollars or other currencies.
    May 13, 2014. 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading and writing. When I'm looking for ideas, I'm certainly guilty of checking the top holdings of a few ETFS, such as VIG and VYM, and funds, such as SEQUX.
    May 13, 2014. 09:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Great, thanks for reading and writing.
    May 12, 2014. 09:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Don't know and I think it's a great question (particularly as I'm long PG myself...:P). They do say they track the NASDAQ US Dividend Achievers Select Index, so you might look there first. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 12, 2014. 06:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not sure why McDonald's wouldn't show up strongly. They say they track the NASDAQ US Dividend Achievers Select Index and weight in roughly the same manner. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 12, 2014. 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment