FinancialStorm

View FinancialStorm's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Forecasting Dividend Growth Of The Top 25 Holdings Of Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF [View article]
    Thanks for reading and commenting. I have a lot of respect for Vanguard and would probably add this ETF as a component of my portfolio (which includes a number of individual equities as well) if the current yield was higher.
    May 12, 2014. 06:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF Primed For Dividend Growth? [View article]
    yes, certainly. my apologies for not being explicit. it didn't actually occur to me to just average the numbers, so i didn't think to make clear how i did it...i thought about putting in the spreadsheet, but it seemed more like evidence that i did what i said than adding new insight. :P
    May 1, 2014. 03:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I just reread your comment. To make my answer more explicit from your example, I did account for yield directly before putting it together. I followed your "Correct year 2 dividend" but for all 25 stocks.
    May 1, 2014. 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I did not take a direct average. Rather, let's take XOM for example. At the present yield, it generates a certain distribution. After application of dividend growth, it generates a new amount. I did that for each holding. Holdings where I "forecast" no growth generated the same income after 1 year. After that, I added the total distributions for each holding and compared at the portfolio level.
    May 1, 2014. 09:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Certainly maintain an emergency fund, but I'm thinking beyond that. If college costs 30k / year for 6 years (call it 2 kids), it makes sense to me that you would want your portfolio generating income during that time period before switching back to accumulation. i suppose 10 years before you could section off a portion of the portfolio, but I'm unclear what you do if the market crashes 3 years before college and doesn't recover rapidly.
    Apr 30, 2014. 10:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    This might actually be a good point to raise a thought i've had. To me, the real problem is that life doesn't necessarily break down into 2 parts: 1) accumulate and 2) spend. For instance, if you have children, you might shift into spend during the college years and then back into accumulate. If you have a medical emergency or lose a job, you might need to shift into spend for a short amount of time and back to accumulate. So you can either turn the portfolio over or shift from reinvesting to distributing and back when appropriate...of course then you need holdings that are "reasonable" for both modes. Thoughts?
    Apr 30, 2014. 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'll chime in too. I agree with in so far as an individual is interested in and has the time to perform due diligence. However, there are a number of people who want to invest but don't want to invest in common stocks individually, and thinking through appropriate options there is important. Also, you can use an ETF or combination of ETFs/funds as "ballast" in a portfolio and choose common stocks around that. Lots of ways to make the puzzle fit together.
    Apr 27, 2014. 01:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for reading and writing. A lot there to think about. One thing that immediately jumps out is that you do have to check-in as the ETFs rebalance if you are skimming off the top holdings. I'm pretty sure Apple wasn't in the portfolio last year, for instance, or at least not with such weighting.

Certainly when I started putting together my own portfolio, I looked at the top holdings of ETFs such as VIG and VYM (and some mutual funds I like) as starting points for "ideas".
    Apr 27, 2014. 11:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Btw, this sort of analysis is fairly straight forward. Would people be interested in seeing similar calculations on other ETFs, such as VIG? Feel free to click "like" to express interest.
    Apr 26, 2014. 01:52 PM | 36 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great, thank you for reading and writing. It's good to hear from people who've owned for a while and kept track over time. I agree about the valuation (also with regards to many individual names I'm interested in) and personally only invest when I don't have a common equity I want to purchase at a price I like. A more devoted value investor might hold cash and wait. I have some cash but want to be more invested than if I solely waited.
    Apr 26, 2014. 01:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    thanks for reading and writing. Getting dedicated growth with a reasonable starting yield is definitely a challenge these days.
    Apr 26, 2014. 01:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This is a great point. Mainly for the ease of keeping most of my portfolio with a single broker. I have a number of common equity holdings as well. This simplifies my life a bit in the event I don't want to reinvest dividends and want to direct other places. I buy in large enough blocks and very rarely sell, so the small commission isn't enough of a % to worry me.
    Apr 26, 2014. 01:49 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great, thanks for writing. I pay a small commission at fidelity.
    Apr 26, 2014. 09:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think I'm actually very similar. I have a number of individual names and have been adding VYM when I am not happy with valuations on names I want to purchase. I definitely enjoy watching the individual equities.

Thanks for reading and writing.
    Apr 26, 2014. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for checking in and writing. I appreciate the comments.
    Apr 26, 2014. 09:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment