FinancialStorm

View FinancialStorm's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 10 Dividend Growers With Strong Cash From Operations Growth [View article]
    I'm definitely a fan of amassing overwhelmingly large amounts of money...

For the purposes of this screen, I really mean it when I say that I use screens to generate ideas for research and not as recommendations for investment. I like to slice things up in lots of different ways to see what pops up. I am confident that the SeekingAlpha readers perform their own, personalized due diligence processes.

In terms of future events, I'm personally also looking for businesses that don't routinely require debt financing as rising rates could put pressure on their business models. I like regional banks as I am hoping the credit spread will widen. I have a long time horizon, so I'm happy to wait with solid businesses.
    Aug 7 08:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Are You Using The Right Payout Ratio? [View article]
    Morningstar tends to have this under "key ratios" when you lookup a quote. You can also look at the balance sheet, cash flow statements, and whatnot. No membership typically gets you 5 years of data. Membership gets you 10.
    Jul 24 09:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Don't Panic [View article]
    I was curious about the dividend as well. If you look at last year's calendar, they announced the august dividend very late in july. So we're still ok this year if they are following the same timing.
    Jul 18 08:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transitioned To A Dividend-Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Congratulations on the transition!

I looked at TGH for a while but couldn't get comfortable with their use of debt. I understand they are taking on debt to buy containers that they then lend out at higher returns. Somehow just can't get comfortable with it, but I know a lot of people like it...

On your watchlist I'm long PG and WAG from last summer.
    Jul 8 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The REIT Way To Build A Fortress Of Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for the article. What are your thoughts on OHI lately? I know at some point you were worried about mis-priced risk?

Long DLR, O
    Jun 25 07:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: The Only Thing To Fear Is Fear Itself [View article]
    Thank you for writing. It sounds like you know yourself very well, which is great. In Seth Klarman's book "Margin of Safety", he gives a great thought experiment of two fund managers, one of which earns something like 20% returns for 20 years and then takes a 50% loss, and another which earns 16% returns for 20 years and then takes a smaller loss at the end. If you don't actually think about it and run the numbers, you would be attracted to the higher initial return manager as opposed to the more consistent one. It's a great lesson that seems right on target to your last sentence.
    Jun 18 08:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Not Starting Your Net Worth Over [View article]
    I actually hold dividend stocks in a taxable account and reinvest. I'm willing to take the tax consequences for the flexibility to control my income on a year to year basis depending on what is happening in life. If something happens that requires more cash, I flip the switch to deposit dividends in my bank account. If everything is going smoothly, back to reinvest. As for why I don't focus on growth stocks for potential contingencies, I don't trust the stock market to be giving me a fair price on shares that I might have to sell in an emergency.
    Jun 17 10:24 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Stocks Demonstrating Acceleration In Dividend Growth [View article]
    Hope they work out well for you. Thanks for reading and writing. I'm giving QCOM a pretty serious look atm, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am adding more tech to my portfolio right now.
    Jun 16 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Stocks Demonstrating Acceleration In Dividend Growth [View article]
    in general, i focus my personal sell decisions on business deterioration or lack of fulfillment of what i expected. if something was very extremely overvalued in my opinion, i might also sell, but nothing in my portfolio feels like that.

thank you for reading and writing.
    Jun 16 04:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Stocks Demonstrating Acceleration In Dividend Growth [View article]
    actually national bankshares has to be looked at yearly. in the past they have raised the dividend every 6 months. this year, the dividend raise was higher than the raise from 12 months previous but not from 6 months previous. so annualized it's still up. but i'm watching it more closely now as a result.
    Jun 16 04:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the detailed comment. I don't think I stated it as explicitly, but I'm also focused on the business's ability to send me cash, which I am disconnecting a bit from the price the market quotes. As long as that underlying business stays sound, I'm happy. I'm also looking forward to many years of payments from O.
    Jun 12 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting and good luck!
    Jun 12 09:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting. Yes, I do have some consumer stalwarts like PG but have also been looking fairly broadly. At the moment, I am trying to avoid companies that have been using a lot of debt over the past few years unless I have a strong feeling that it has purely been opportunistic (INTC). I like regional banks as the yield curve steepens and as slow and sound until then, but I also don't want to overweight financials...
    Jun 12 06:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I definitely agree. I think the fear becomes strongest though if you don't have resources to put into buying at that time. In that case, you are pretty maxed out in the market and it gets wacked...
    Jun 11 07:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting. I just initiated a position in O so I may be at the other end of the trade. Good luck!
    Jun 11 05:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment