FinancialStorm

View FinancialStorm's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Growth Investors: The Only Thing To Fear Is Fear Itself [View article]
    I definitely agree. I think the fear becomes strongest though if you don't have resources to put into buying at that time. In that case, you are pretty maxed out in the market and it gets wacked...
    Jun 11, 2013. 07:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting. I just initiated a position in O so I may be at the other end of the trade. Good luck!
    Jun 11, 2013. 05:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting and posting this. Great for perspective.
    Jun 11, 2013. 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Novozymes: Sequoia Fund Owns This International Serial Dividend Grower [View article]
    Great question. Sadly, I don't know the answer. If I come across it, I'll report back.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jun 7, 2013. 07:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Transition To Dividend Growth Investing: A Look Back To Last Summer When It All Began [View article]
    Hello, thank you for writing in such detail. I certainly wouldn't say your integrity sucks. I'm happy to do things my way and let others do things their way.
    Jun 7, 2013. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    thank you for reading and commenting. yes, they are involved with ethanol, which is an area i'm a bit skeptical. what i like is that they are actually involved with so many different things and companies instead of having all of their eggs in the ethanol or whatever basket.
    Jun 7, 2013. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    aha, thanks for finding and sharing that. It sounds like you need a broker that can do a synthetic drip if that's the route you want to go. or manually do it, but beware commissions in that case.
    Jun 6, 2013. 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    I don't think I get the 2% discount. I'd guess that's if you DRIP directly from the company.

But Fidelity seems to handle the dividend reinvestment just fine. Fidelity collects the dividend, then reports a foreign tax paid (15% of dividend collected), then reinvests the remainder. At tax time, I will fill out something or other to get a tax credit on the foreign tax. I think I did it last year via TurboTax, and it wasn't hard (but I don't have a super high number of non-US dividends coming in, which may change things). This might be a broker-specific issue as opposed to an issue with the stock. You could try talking to your broker again and see if you can get someone who has specific knowledge about Canadian equities.
    Jun 6, 2013. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ahh i see. i think it's the difference between assuming the portfolio includes a large cash balance that is uninvested (and earning no return) or from tracking performance against the benchmark from the time of investment. I do appreciate the comment; reality checks are good.
    Jun 3, 2013. 11:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great, thanks for sharing your experience. We're in the process of buying a home and depending on what the final mortgage rate is, I'll have to think about how to divided up reinvestment versus paying down mortgage. I think rates are low enough (but rising, ugg) that I'll opt to stay fully invested for the long term.
    Jun 2, 2013. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As I said in an earlier comment, I don't aim for perfection but to do the best I can with those things that I can control. I also don't necessarily think others should have the same views as we do. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
    Jun 1, 2013. 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    yes, it only pays once per year. Its main currency is also swiss, which causes some fluctuation. This year, for instance, I think the dividend might have gone down in US dollars even though it went up 2% (not an exciting amount) in local currency. I do like how the business has transformed over the years and particularly like alcon and the generic division. But I will be reevaluating the weight it has in the portfolio at some point in the future.
    Jun 1, 2013. 08:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think it's a perfectly good gift at just about any age. The main challenge I had was that I had other interests at the time, so I read it as something intellectually interesting but didn't go further until recently. If you can find a way to combine a book like that with some incentive to study some individual companies responsibly, that could be very exciting.
    Jun 1, 2013. 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    how do you come to that conclusion? I use morningstar's portfolio tracker, and it has the annualized return 28.17% vs 24.82% for the S&P 500 when dividends are included (they are an important component of the portfolio to my mind). YTD, I'm behind by 45 basis points. Regardless, I'm more interested in what the report card will be 5 years from now. I think this portfolio is too young to really pass judgement.
    May 31, 2013. 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the detailed comment. A serious look at the balanced fund is on my to-do list; in part because of performance concerns and a larger part because I don't want to have much exposure to the 22% bond component.

For a while, Pax had launched an ETF called NASI. You might want to look at it; it had a lot of names that were interesting to me for other reasons as well. It closed due to lack of investor interest, but you might still be able to find the holdings online.
    May 31, 2013. 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment