FinancialStorm

View FinancialStorm's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    aha, thanks for finding and sharing that. It sounds like you need a broker that can do a synthetic drip if that's the route you want to go. or manually do it, but beware commissions in that case.
    Jun 6 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    I don't think I get the 2% discount. I'd guess that's if you DRIP directly from the company.

But Fidelity seems to handle the dividend reinvestment just fine. Fidelity collects the dividend, then reports a foreign tax paid (15% of dividend collected), then reinvests the remainder. At tax time, I will fill out something or other to get a tax credit on the foreign tax. I think I did it last year via TurboTax, and it wasn't hard (but I don't have a super high number of non-US dividends coming in, which may change things). This might be a broker-specific issue as opposed to an issue with the stock. You could try talking to your broker again and see if you can get someone who has specific knowledge about Canadian equities.
    Jun 6 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    I use Fidelity which has a synthetic DRIP for free. Original trade was 7.95 as commission, but all dividend reinvestment is free. I don't recall any hassle, but next time I look at my statement if I see something weird, I will report back.
    Apr 8 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    That's a good point, thank you. One of the initial reasons I went to a Canadian bank is that I was looking to diversify outside of US Dollars, but that can cut both ways...
    Mar 20 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    glad you enjoyed it. some day i may ask you how in the world momentum investing works. i think i don't have the stomache for it. :)
    Mar 18 03:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    a good point, thank you. i'll pay more attention to that in the future.
    Mar 18 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    great, thanks!
    Mar 18 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bank of Nova Scotia: Yearly Checkup [View article]
    not much more, hopefully another reader might and would leave a comment. my general impression is that they are pretty involved in south america and will take advantage of opportunities as they present (rather than trying to "force" something).

Although, i think they did say that it was already adding to their results, so management's early take is that its going well.
    Mar 18 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment