Five Plus Investor

View Five Plus Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Big Merger Is Here - Should You Invest? How Should You Vote? [View article]
    @rip - rip is right on the technical point, that LINE/LNCO holders approve issuance of shares to BRY shareholders, and User is right that the reason for the vote on the issuance of shares for LINE/LNCO is merger approval. This is copy/pasted from my proxy:

"Approval of the issuance of LinnCo, LLC (“LinnCo”) common shares to the stockholders of Berry Petroleum Company (“Berry”), pursuant to the Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of February 20, 2013, as amended by Amendment No. 1 to Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of November 3, 2013, and Amendment No. 2 to Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of November 13, 2013, by and among Berry, Bacchus HoldCo, Inc., a direct wholly owned subsidiary of Berry (“HoldCo”), Bacchus Merger Sub, Inc., a direct wholly owned subsidiary of HoldCo, LinnCo, Linn Acquisition Company, LLC, a direct wholly owned subsidiary of LinnCo, and Linn Energy, LLC (“LINN”), as such agreement may be amended from time to time (the “merger agreement”), pursuant to which Berry stockholders will receive 1.68 LinnCo common shares for each share of Berry common stock that they own immediately prior to the merger."
    Dec 13 12:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • REIT Interest-Rate Concerns May Be Overblown [View article]
    Pen, I support (and trade) on both sides of the equation, as I implement different strategies for different portfolios. I have no emotional investment one way or the other.

So as an objective observer, I am telling you...you ARE riding Adam hard here.

Take a break from SA for a bit. Always helps me when this forum gets my blood pressure up...which, if I allow it, can be quite often :).
    Dec 8 11:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: 6% Yield And Nearly 30% Upside Potential [View article]
    Turn your all caps off, you're yelling.
    Dec 7 10:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • REIT Interest-Rate Concerns May Be Overblown [View article]
    @Pen - deep breath. You're riding Adam pretty hard here. There is no MUST DO Bible for dividend investing. There is...this works for me, and that works for you.

I fall more on Adam's point of view, as I always date and never marry a position. I do care about capital appreciation (and that IS a valid standpoint to make for a dividend investor), so I am constantly researching and asking...is this the BEST position for my portfolio? Or, I ask, do I REALLY believe in this company?

If I really believe in the company, I'll ride out the storm. If I have lost faith, or I see a dividend cut looming, or I just find a better opportunity elsewhere, I'm pretty dispassionate about it. Sell, move on, no worries.

As for mREITs and other market-averse REITs (such as DLR), I am on the sidelines for now. Bully to all of you that are holding, but for me, those suitors turned sour on me long ago. I can't date a position that won't both bring me the candy (dividends) and treat me with respect (stay in the green).
    Dec 7 10:29 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Alternative To Overvalued Dividend Stocks [View article]
    I concur that this was a well-thought out article. I personally love the CCC list, but I agree that most CCC stocks - save the REITs - are just way too pricey right now.

Thanks for the lead on (SDIV), it's now on the top of my watch list.
    Nov 11 03:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Alternative To Overvalued Dividend Stocks [View article]
    It's the corporate structure that counts. Canadian corporations are not taxed at 15% within an tax-exempt account (i.e. IRA). Canadian TRUSTS are. Most REITs are trusts, but I cannot say for sure if *every* REIT is filed as a trust or not.
    Nov 11 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is A Lot Of Misinformation About American Capital Agency's Q3 Earnings - They're Decent [View article]
    I don't sell recklessly, and don't regret my decision. Sleeping well, already invested elsewhere.
    Nov 5 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock-Market Limerence Will Cause Portfolio Heartbreak [View article]
    mbkelly is back in the house!!! :)
    Nov 4 10:37 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock-Market Limerence Will Cause Portfolio Heartbreak [View article]
    Tim: I think we're in agreement. Thanks for a good article!
    Nov 4 10:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock-Market Limerence Will Cause Portfolio Heartbreak [View article]
    "General Electric (GE) and Microsoft (MSFT) each traded well above 40x earnings at some point between 1999-2001, and that is why none of those companies gave investors returns north of 4% annually between then and today. That's not the fault of the company-it's our job to spot poor valuation and react accordingly."

Your investment thesis assumes that the investor bought at the peak. What about when you buy a great company in a trough?

I would be hesitant to dismiss two of America's greatest success stories because of the possibility an investor would buy at the wrong time.

As for myself, I bought (GE) about 2 years ago when the valuation was in the teens, and management had assured a commitment to a growing dividend. So far it is the BEST performer in my portfolio in terms of total return (65%), and I have enjoyed double-digit dividend growth.

I'm really glad I didn't dismiss (GE) because of any "limerance" I inferred into the company,
    Nov 4 09:15 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sigh. The latest extreme price drop in AGNC presents a challenge to current investors. Do you hang on, in the face of a looming dividend cut and share price shrinkage, in the hope that the market will somehow, some day, "get it" that this is a great stock? Or do you get off the roller coaster because, finally, enough is enough?

The latest price drop for me was the last straw. At this point, I don't care if the market is dead wrong. I just need to sleep at night. I'm out, relieved, and will be looking for a smoother ride in a different investment, even if the yield is much lower.
    Oct 30 10:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Building A Cash Position For My Dividend Income Portfolio Makes Sense [View article]
    I don't think timing the market, or trying to predict the future, is a good idea. My own experience is that it's best to stay on course and allow the holding to telegraph what to do. This is so much more manageable than trying to trade on what the government, TV/radio talking heads, SA authors, other self-appointed gurus, or even Mr. Market is telling me.
    Oct 8 12:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reinvesting Dividends Vs. Saving Them And Buying On Stock Price Drops - Part II [View article]
    I'm in the "both" camp.

For my smaller brokerage, where trading fees would eat into my income if I tried to trade/reinvest on value, I DRIP.

For my larger accounts, I use Scottrade's FRIP program and choose specific holdings to reinvest, saving on trading fees. I also re-balance often, and with profits from re-balancing plus deposits, I then reinvest in a similar fashion as "giorgiolb".
    Sep 20 12:54 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs Making Profits And Turning Distributions For Investors [View article]
    Gee, Scooter, I just don't know of any companies that survive without the original founders, do you???
    Sep 16 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs Making Profits And Turning Distributions For Investors [View article]
    Icahn also holds CVRR in the Icahn Enterprises LP, (IEP). This MLP is a dividend grower, with a potentially safer (although much lower) yield than (CVRR) at 6%.

Long (IEP)