Five Plus Investor

View Five Plus Investor's Comments BY TICKER:

• What Should You Do With Your Shares Of PJT From Blackstone? [View article]
    Trading Income - is there any news on whether or not PJT will pay a dividend?
    Oct 2, 2015. 10:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Linn Energy's Situation Really That Dire? [View article]
    DCA is a good strategy. If you are holding for yield it allows you to increase your income stream for a smaller $$ investment. If you are looking to sell, you can sell at either a smaller loss, or a profit. If this dog reaches $10 and you sell, it's a significantly smaller loss with a DCA of $13 than $32. If it reaches $20 and sell, you have a profit, rather than a loss at $32.

LINE / LNCO is no longer an investment for me. I DCA'd today because the market smelled of irrationality, but I am not looking to hold long term. I am just trying to minimize the hit I will take when there is opportunity to sell.

I live in Houston, the layoffs have hit. Not as bad as previous years, but bad enough that I am not looking to invest in any oil companies, only looking to minimize damage of investments. Thankfully, I got out of all oil investments, mostly at a profit, save MLPs in my brokerage, which I will never sell (and not heavily invested in LINE), ESV and LNCO.

I would say it's not a great time to sell when the shorts are salivating. Wait until they have left the party drunk and sell when the long-term outlook is not speculation anymore.
    Jul 13, 2015. 07:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: I Stand Corrected, So Now What? [View article]
    They also "vowed" to maintain the dividend. Friedrickson is toast to me. I am slowly off-loading my shares.
    Nov 28, 2014. 10:31 AM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crescent Point Energy Has It All: Quality, Growth And Income [View article]
    True in my Scottrade account, and per tax treaty signed with the U.S., true for all IRA / tax-exempt accounts.
    Nov 10, 2014. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crescent Point Energy Has It All: Quality, Growth And Income [View article]
    If you hold any Canadian corporation in an IRA , there is no 15% dividend tax.
    Nov 9, 2014. 08:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Accounting Armageddon: Should You Dump Your American Realty Stake And Run For The Hills? [View article]
    I was thinking the same thing..."Brad told me so..."

In one respect, I wish I had listened. On the other hand, tangible assets, and how they are managed, are two different things. I am willing to wait and continue to be paid - especially since two problematic managers got the boot - then sell at a loss at this point.
    Oct 30, 2014. 11:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Investing Epiphany [View article]
    Thanks for the questions, all. The rental is in Asheville and we are on HomeAway, AirBnB, FlipKey and 9flats. Message me if you are interested.

Steve - I am not the accountant on the place, that's my husband. Can't answer that question.

Blue Okie - I apologize that I did not explain the situation. We have no control in selling the home, nor do we take profit for ourselves. All the profit goes to pay for assisted living for my mother-in-law, who is still alive and owns the home. {She was unwilling to sell her home when she went into the nursing home, but was, willing, however, to rent it out as a vacation rental}. Without income from her home, her two sons (one is my husband) would be stuck paying the full balance of her nursing home bill.

When we inherit the home, we will decide whether to sell or not. The market value of the home is not more than $140,000, and we typically clear an average of about $1,000 a month on the place. Depending on when she passes, it may well be advantageous to keep it as a rental. We will cross that bridge when we get there.
    Oct 27, 2014. 11:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Investing Epiphany [View article]
    @xomstock - my husband and I manage a vacation rental. With only one exception, every renter has left the place as they've found it. In my mind, this is the way to go. Better class of tenants, shorter stays, more money per stay.

*However* - we do not have a mortgage on the place. It is my mother-in-law's former (and paid for) residence. Given the inevitable gaps in occupancy (in off season we may only have one week booked), the only reason we've been profitable is because the place is not leveraged.

Before we furnished and rented out her place as a vacation rental, it was a standard tenant rental. Although the former tenants lived there for years, when they left, the place was trashed out. It took $20,000 to repair all the damage.

All this to say, of the two income-producing options for real estate, I would certainly invest again in vacation rental, but wouldn't for a standard tenant rental. (I would also make sure I don't have a huge mortgage on the place).
    Oct 25, 2014. 07:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is American Realty Capital Properties A 'Sucker Yield' Bet? [View article]
    No, the article was not insulting, it was informative, as are the comments. I am certainly reconsidering my position in ARCP (which is small) after this article, if only because I respect you so much.

But comments here are along the lines of - Brad, you've pounded the table on this in the past, and now you are doing an about-face - are correct. Calling ARCP a "sucker" yield implies that those of us who bought in the first place and are still holding are "suckers".

Given that many of us may not have even known about the security unless you wrote about it, and you hold it yourself, well....what does that make you? Are we "suckers" to have listened to you in the first place?

Point being, you would have been better served to have chosen a different title. "Sucker yield" is a term that best served out by some income-investing hater writing "Dividends are for Suckers" than you.

No worries, still a fan. We all have our moments.

Take Care,
    Oct 25, 2014. 10:29 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Add Some Income Muscle With A Dividend Barbell [View article]
    Just found this gem of an article, and as I've mentioned before, I am a kindred investing spirit with AA, Be Here Now & others...

I also have a "ripped" portfolio that is balanced by yield. But I also balance on dividend growth. If I am holding a security that yields only 3%, I expect it to have double-digit dividend growth. If it yields 5 - 6%, I can tolerate single-digit dividend growth. If it yields over 7 - 8%, I expect a steady and not decreasing payout.

Having this formula hopefully also keeps the dividend growth in pace with inflation at 5% or more.

This means, COP, NEE, CMS all have a place in my portfolio, JNJ wouldn't. For high yield, it means preferred shares, securities such as TCAP and PMT has a place, and many mREITs such as AGNC wouldn't.

Thanks again, always enjoy your articles.
    Oct 24, 2014. 04:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is American Realty Capital Properties A 'Sucker Yield' Bet? [View article]
    I thought the term "sucker yield" was also a bit insulting, in light of the fact that Brad is still holding. Is he a sucker too?
    Oct 24, 2014. 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 11.4% Distribution Linn Energy Completed Its Needed 1031 Exchange Trades To Match The Devon Buy [View article]
    "ultimately you will have to pay tax"...

Only if you hold LINE in a taxable account and **sell** your holding, which will result in a tax bill for accumulated distributions. Or, if you hold in tax-exempt account and you exceed UBTI in any given tax year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Oct 24, 2014. 02:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is Not Ebola That Is Out Of Control, It Is The Media [View article]
    While I agree with your sentiments on the administration (even stronger, I don't think this administration cares whether America is strong or not, thus the appearance of incompetency which masks for indifference), the fact of the matter is:

Disease we will have with us always.

We should be more outraged that tens of thousands die in hospitals every year over minor, preventable infections than 3 total deaths in the U.S. from ebola. Tens of thousands, in what is the "best" system in the world.

No one is outraged, because the media makes nothing of it.

At some point, it is healthier for one's assessment of what is truly important just to turn off the news.
    Oct 20, 2014. 01:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It Is Not Ebola That Is Out Of Control, It Is The Media [View article]
    A few years ago, it was swine flu. I actually caught it, as did my son and husband. It was certainly NOT FUN. But we lived. I am close friends with several nurses, and they didn't even bother getting flu shots that year. They said the media coverage on swine flu was overblown.

Deadly bugs, we will have with us always...

Granted, ebola is MUCH scarier, much more deadly than swine flu...but some perspective is warranted. More people will die of the common flu this year than will die of ebola virus in the U.S., ever.

At least right now, ebola shouldn't be an investing thesis either way.
    Oct 16, 2014. 03:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Inc. Investment Thesis [View article]
    KMR - what if you DRIP KMI? Does this skew the numbers in either KMI or KMR's favor? I am wondering about those reinvested dividends (free in my Scottrade acct).
    Oct 16, 2014. 03:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment