Five Plus Investor

View Five Plus Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Seadrill: I Stand Corrected, So Now What? [View article]
    They also "vowed" to maintain the dividend. Friedrickson is toast to me. I am slowly off-loading my shares.
    Nov 28, 2014. 10:31 AM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Can You Sleep At Night Holding Seadrill? [View article]
    Count me in. It's ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous that we keep reading bothering to read...
    Nov 17, 2014. 10:34 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crescent Point Energy Has It All: Quality, Growth And Income [View article]
    True in my Scottrade account, and per tax treaty signed with the U.S., true for all IRA / tax-exempt accounts.
    Nov 10, 2014. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crescent Point Energy Has It All: Quality, Growth And Income [View article]
    If you hold any Canadian corporation in an IRA , there is no 15% dividend tax.
    Nov 9, 2014. 08:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Update - October 2014 [View article]
    ALL CAPS IS YELLING. Please click off your caps lock. Otherwise, congrats on your dividends. Thank you!
    Nov 9, 2014. 06:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Accounting Armageddon: Should You Dump Your American Realty Stake And Run For The Hills? [View article]
    I was thinking the same thing..."Brad told me so..."

In one respect, I wish I had listened. On the other hand, tangible assets, and how they are managed, are two different things. I am willing to wait and continue to be paid - especially since two problematic managers got the boot - then sell at a loss at this point.
    Oct 30, 2014. 11:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Investing Epiphany [View article]
    Thanks for the questions, all. The rental is in Asheville and we are on HomeAway, AirBnB, FlipKey and 9flats. Message me if you are interested.

Steve - I am not the accountant on the place, that's my husband. Can't answer that question.

Blue Okie - I apologize that I did not explain the situation. We have no control in selling the home, nor do we take profit for ourselves. All the profit goes to pay for assisted living for my mother-in-law, who is still alive and owns the home. {She was unwilling to sell her home when she went into the nursing home, but was, willing, however, to rent it out as a vacation rental}. Without income from her home, her two sons (one is my husband) would be stuck paying the full balance of her nursing home bill.

When we inherit the home, we will decide whether to sell or not. The market value of the home is not more than $140,000, and we typically clear an average of about $1,000 a month on the place. Depending on when she passes, it may well be advantageous to keep it as a rental. We will cross that bridge when we get there.
    Oct 27, 2014. 11:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Investing Epiphany [View article]
    @xomstock - my husband and I manage a vacation rental. With only one exception, every renter has left the place as they've found it. In my mind, this is the way to go. Better class of tenants, shorter stays, more money per stay.

*However* - we do not have a mortgage on the place. It is my mother-in-law's former (and paid for) residence. Given the inevitable gaps in occupancy (in off season we may only have one week booked), the only reason we've been profitable is because the place is not leveraged.

Before we furnished and rented out her place as a vacation rental, it was a standard tenant rental. Although the former tenants lived there for years, when they left, the place was trashed out. It took $20,000 to repair all the damage.

All this to say, of the two income-producing options for real estate, I would certainly invest again in vacation rental, but wouldn't for a standard tenant rental. (I would also make sure I don't have a huge mortgage on the place).
    Oct 25, 2014. 07:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Investing Epiphany [View article]
    TAS and I agree on some points, disagree on others. He actually has good thoughts to share, and could be a contributor on SA in his sphere of knowledge.

That would be braver path, would it not...to put *his* ideas in the public square, and endure the scrutiny that comes with it.

But it's so much easier, is it not, to simply hide behind the computer and take pot shots at those who do.

"A lazy investor behind a computer screen is nothing to be proud of."
    Oct 25, 2014. 03:56 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is American Realty Capital Properties A 'Sucker Yield' Bet? [View article]
    No, the article was not insulting, it was informative, as are the comments. I am certainly reconsidering my position in ARCP (which is small) after this article, if only because I respect you so much.

But comments here are along the lines of - Brad, you've pounded the table on this in the past, and now you are doing an about-face - are correct. Calling ARCP a "sucker" yield implies that those of us who bought in the first place and are still holding are "suckers".

Given that many of us may not have even known about the security unless you wrote about it, and you hold it yourself, well....what does that make you? Are we "suckers" to have listened to you in the first place?

Point being, you would have been better served to have chosen a different title. "Sucker yield" is a term that best served out by some income-investing hater writing "Dividends are for Suckers" than you.

No worries, still a fan. We all have our moments.

Take Care,
    Denise
    Oct 25, 2014. 10:29 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Add Some Income Muscle With A Dividend Barbell [View article]
    Just found this gem of an article, and as I've mentioned before, I am a kindred investing spirit with AA, Be Here Now & others...

I also have a "ripped" portfolio that is balanced by yield. But I also balance on dividend growth. If I am holding a security that yields only 3%, I expect it to have double-digit dividend growth. If it yields 5 - 6%, I can tolerate single-digit dividend growth. If it yields over 7 - 8%, I expect a steady and not decreasing payout.

Having this formula hopefully also keeps the dividend growth in pace with inflation at 5% or more.

This means, COP, NEE, CMS all have a place in my portfolio, JNJ wouldn't. For high yield, it means preferred shares, securities such as TCAP and PMT has a place, and many mREITs such as AGNC wouldn't.

Thanks again, always enjoy your articles.
    Oct 24, 2014. 04:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Algonquin Power: Diversified Canadian Utility With Mainly U.S. Revenues [View article]
    I thought your article was quite lucid, thank you.

I have avoided CanCorps due to a stronger dollar, but thanks for bringing AQUNF to my attention. Future dividends being dollar-denominated should pique any international income investors' interest.

Algonquin is now on my watch list, based on your clear conclusion:

"Income investors looking for small cap growth companies should consider Algonquin Power, as there is sufficient upside potential, in addition to an adequate current yield. Dividend growth investors should also take notice of its prospects."
    Oct 24, 2014. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is American Realty Capital Properties A 'Sucker Yield' Bet? [View article]
    I thought the term "sucker yield" was also a bit insulting, in light of the fact that Brad is still holding. Is he a sucker too?
    Oct 24, 2014. 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    If it was garbled and valueless, how were you able to understand enough of the article to critique it?
    Oct 24, 2014. 03:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11.4% Distribution Linn Energy Completed Its Needed 1031 Exchange Trades To Match The Devon Buy [View article]
    "ultimately you will have to pay tax"...

Only if you hold LINE in a taxable account and **sell** your holding, which will result in a tax bill for accumulated distributions. Or, if you hold in tax-exempt account and you exceed UBTI in any given tax year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Oct 24, 2014. 02:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment