Fiver Capital

View Fiver Capital's Comments BY TICKER:
  • SPDR S&P 500 ETF : Let's Analyze It Using Our Scorecard System [View article]
    Peter, This is great information, thank you. My goal for this year has been to put together a list of best of breed stocks, my universe of the most profitable stocks out there, and forget the rest! Then I can simply focus on buy and sell valuations. My only concern for your method is in regards to the Capflow metric. Starbucks is one of my top holdings and they's been spending a lot of money to expand internationally. I do believe there's value in checking capex against free cash flow, but I'm most concerned with maintenance capex (funding projects that will drive growth is OK with me). Then again, I'm more of a GARP guy than a strict value investor. A stock can be dead money for long stretches of time by not considering growth. Your Aflac pick is a good example. It's free cash flow yield has only grown more impressive over the last year and a half as the stock has languished. There's just no earnings growth there. But I digress ...this list is very helpful and I've printed out a copy to study with interest.
    Jan 25, 2015. 03:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Continue To Hold Starbucks Shares Until 2045 (At Least) [View article]
    Following you and looking forward to the rest of your picks. Starbucks is my largest holding and I expect it to boast a 100 billion market cap sometime in the next 7-10 years.
    Jan 1, 2015. 07:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Core Investment Portfolio For The Next 20 Years: Disney [View article]
    Totally agree with your assessment, DIS is a top holding for me. My only gripe is the dividend, wish they would pay quarterly instead of annually. LMT is a no-go for me; besides a personal aversion to the defense industry, I avoid companies dependent on the (bankrupt) government. There's a very real chance the U.S. war machine looks entirely different in 20 years. I look forward to the rest of your picks.
    Nov 16, 2014. 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500: New Record Highs Imminent [View article]
    I've been making more of an effort to read bullish viewpoints rather than those that reinforce my bearish bias. I'm sorry I chose this article. Not only do I feel you're wrong with your bullish prognostication, you contradict yourself throughout raving about obama and socialism. Yeah, I get it, the Republicans ride to the rescue and we rocket to new highs! But aren't we up 200% since the 2009 lows? Were markets just anticipating the conservative renaissance all along?? Your arguments are mushy and pointless. Stick to biotech and leave the macro to the adults.
    Oct 26, 2014. 08:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: Too Much Focus On The Chinese Situation Might Create A Buying Opportunity [View article]
    Qualcomm's also making moves in the health care tech space. The shares are a bargain here.

Long QCOM
    Aug 15, 2014. 03:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Superior Drilling Products Is An Appropriate Name For This Natural Gas E&P Derivative [View article]
    Thank you for the in-depth analysis. I established a position in SDPI months ago on the recommendation of an energy analyst, but did it more on faith than on complete knowledge of operations. Seems to be the right product at the right time - domestic energy boom, picks and shovels and all that jazz :)

Long SDPI
    Jul 26, 2014. 05:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gilead Is My Next Apple [View article]
    WellCare reported this week. Hep C drug costs increased 6-fold since last year causing the company to swing to a loss. The stock (NYSE:WCG) promptly plunged 22%! The pricing issue is not going away. Don't get me wrong - I have no love for the insurers, but my concerns regarding a solvent customer base remain.
    Jul 26, 2014. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Stock Market Has Reached "A Permanently High Plateau" -- If The Fed Does Not Mess Up Again [View article]
    The question and the problem is this: is the market "fairly valued" based on healthy, organic earnings growth (organic, yum!) or monetary magic via debt spells, floated checks and transfer payments? You might say it doesn't matter, but I beg to differ. I won't get into the exorbitant privilege enjoyed by the US dollar, much of it has all been said elsewhere by folks wiser than I - bottom line, there is no such thing as fair value in this hall of mirrors.
    Jul 23, 2014. 10:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Apparel: An Attempt To Objectively Evaluate The Current Situation [View article]
    I've been wrestling with the same indecision. I bought the stock knowing it faced a binary outcome; it was either going to zero or there was going to be an epic turnaround. I'm now up 50% and conflicted. My initial decision to buy was based on the big intangible - brand equity. I feel APP has it, they haven't lost it, the question is, can they leverage it and get back in the game? If they can, the stock could prove to be an ever-elusive 10 bagger. I will likely sell half my position on a move to $1.50 and let the remaining shares run on house money.
    Jul 11, 2014. 01:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gilead Is My Next Apple [View article]
    I'll pass on Russia, thanks. A company ought to be compensated for the risks they take, I totally get it. I have no beef with GILD's pricing. In a world of highly-levered governments and social programs stretched to the brink, my concerns are more existential. It's not unreasonable to ask who GILD's customers will be at a specific price point. Then again, with global currencies untethered from anything of real value, perhaps anything is possible.
    Jun 30, 2014. 03:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gilead Is My Next Apple [View article]
    Adding to my previous comments, anyone considering going all-in (rarely a good idea) on GILD, please consider the very real risk in the pricing pressures.

Jun 30, 2014. 02:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gilead Is My Next Apple [View article]
    Here is my big concern with the biotechs, and I hope someone can help me see the light because I really want to get onboard. Where does the money for these drugs ultimately come from? It's an exciting sector, but I generally avoid companies/themes that depend on government subsidies because I'm in the camp that believes, for all intents and purposes, the government is bankrupt. Is Medicare/Medicaid Gilead's biggest customer? It all seems so unsustainable to me, but perhaps it's pointless to go down that rabbithole?? With the global economy one big (and growing) pile of liabilities, I suppose all sectors are dependent on government in one form or another. Am I crazy? :)
    Jun 30, 2014. 01:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • North American QSRs: Avoid The Low End, Stick With The High End [View article]
    Thoughts on the Wendy's turnaround?
    Jun 25, 2014. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trinity Industries, United Rentals, Air Lease All Offer Significant Upside [View article]
    URI sports a ridiculous amount of debt. You have to be extremely bullish on the domestic economy to make such a cylical, highly leveraged bet. Same thing with Air Lease. TRN is the best of the bunch.
    Jun 11, 2014. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Draghi Senses A Crisis [View article]
    Your comment reflects a misunderstanding about what the ECB is doing. The banks are not charging their depositors negative interest rates; it's the central bank doing this to the banks. It's an important distinction because it's not "money" being put to use, but more debt. The banks are forced to either make LOANS or pay up to Draghi the pit boss at the ECB. This is why critics of QE and all these other programs are so concerned - MORE DEBT - is there a saturation point? Or is debt creation infinite with regular periods of boom and bust (bankruptcy)?
    Jun 7, 2014. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment