Fred Piard

View Fred Piard's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Passive Portfolio Of A Dynamic Investor [View article]
    Thanks for your kind words on my book. In most comments about PHDG/VQT, there is a misconception: people take it as an investment whereas its better use is as a hedging tool. The VEQTOR index is something "Antifragile", in the meaning of Nicholas Taleb's book (another one you should read).
    May 5, 2015. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Passive Portfolio Of A Dynamic Investor [View article]
    Algochris, if you want to limit the Luck factor (non-ergodicity of a game), you have to play various games: it means trading at least 4-5 models based on different logics: for example momentum and reversal if you are a technical trader - growth, value and dividend if you are fundamental... In my quant portfolio I trade once a week on value and momentum, separately, in various models. It's better to have half a dozen reasonably good models than trying to make a perfect one.
    May 5, 2015. 07:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why I Prefer ALFA Over GURU [View article]
    The new article describing my passive holdings is here:
    May 4, 2015. 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Passive Portfolio Of A Dynamic Investor [View article]
    ... and for the "short track record", the Carmignac fund (largest holding) has one since July 1989, and beats passive indices on the period.
    May 4, 2015. 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Passive Portfolio Of A Dynamic Investor [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. This portfolio also tries to be robust to the unpredictable.
    May 4, 2015. 05:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Passive Portfolio Of A Dynamic Investor [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. Your tax issues depend on where you are taxed. I don't know what you mean by "pretty" but for me in investing it is 2 concepts: risk adjusted performance (measurable), and robustness (non measurable). I'm quite happy with this combination regarding both points.
    May 4, 2015. 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why I Prefer ALFA Over GURU [View article]
    Thanks again for the link, Jon. Absence of volume is a problem with VQTS. I'm afraid one can drive a truck in the bid-ask spread, without speaking of slippage in a nearly empty order book. I may consider it when the product gets traction.
    May 3, 2015. 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why I Prefer ALFA Over GURU [View article]
    OK Fred,
    I will write something on the passive part of my portfolio. Not yet sure it will be my next article, just "follow" me.
    May 3, 2015. 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why I Prefer ALFA Over GURU [View article]
    Hi,
    for the methodology behind Global Household Index, I have already written something here: http://seekingalpha.co....
    I plan another article with more data about the demographic thesis.
    I also plan a tracking of GHI in my instablog, not yet sure if it will be on a monthly, regular basis.
    May 3, 2015. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why I Prefer ALFA Over GURU [View article]
    SPY has also been a bad performer in 2015, and the Veqtor index underperforms SPY in bull market, by design. No concern on this point. By the way, if you look in my old articles, I explain that PHDG/VQT is designed to be a hedging tool, not an investment. PHDG is also part of my passive compartment, to hedge other dynamically managed ETFs. I may write another article about that.
    Apr 30, 2015. 08:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why I Prefer ALFA Over GURU [View article]
    The hedging decision is made end-of-month for the next month. The inconvenient is that it misses short and violent corrections, the advantage is that it avoids some false signals. In 2011 the market recovered In 2 months.
    Apr 29, 2015. 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why I Prefer ALFA Over GURU [View article]
    Courtesy of SA contributor Jon Peter, here is a link with the chart of ALFA underlying index since 2000: http://bit.ly/1CSWJmr
    Apr 29, 2015. 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nasdaq Almost At All-Time High: Not A Bubble [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. My brain says that DJIA 14k would be a 22% drawdown. A little bit deeper than in 2011.
    Apr 28, 2015. 07:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The AlphaDEX ETFs: Defensive Sectors (Part 2) [View article]
    It doesn't concern me. They just use the same ranking factors for all sectors and this is not good. More explanations about relevant factors by sectors in my book The Lazy Fundamental Analyst (see my profile or look on Amazon).
    Apr 24, 2015. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Household Index - Insights On A New Premium Service [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. SA is a more social media. I like interaction with readers here. I like the staff too. Dr. F.
    Apr 24, 2015. 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment