Fred Piard

View Fred Piard's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Pros And Cons Of Tactical Allocation Explained With A Real Trade [View article]
    Tight stops may transform a winning strategy into a looser. Tactical allocation needs to breath, it looks like swing trading but it is not. I wouldn't use a 5% stop in any of my weekly and monthly strategies, but if you can prove it with simulations on your specific strategy, no problem.
    Aug 16 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesoro: Potential For Great Growth Not Worth The Risk [View article]
    Congrats for your 1st article.
    "Originally published on May 2, 2014". Since May,2 on close TSO is up 12.5% whereas SPY is up 4.3%. Insiders and institutions are buyers.
    Disclosure: long TSO in my quantitative SP500 Growth&Value Portfolio.
    Aug 14 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Bet On IPOs And Spin-Offs With ETFs, And Choose The Best. [View article]
    Hi Krystof, thanks for your insight. You wrote " These break my rule of not specializing in any market sector". IMHO there is nothing bad in specializing in one or two sectors, provided that they are defensive one and that stocks are carefully picked. This is the idea of my Global Household Index: http://bit.ly/1s2OPn0
    Aug 12 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Selling A Pair Of Leveraged ETFs: A Goldmine Or A Bad Idea? [View article]
    IndyDoc, I use models trading VIX inverse ETNs and Leveraged bonds ETNs in parallel (paired hedging) and alternatively (paired switching), but they are more complicated than that: http://bit.ly/1r6ZS2b
    Aug 12 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long Case For Mylan [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Also long MYL in my Global Household portfolio http://bit.ly/1s2OPn0
    Aug 12 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My First, Last, And Only Short [View article]
    Thanks for sharing your experience Bill. It has nothing to do with the ticker, with the trade direction, or even with the time frame. It is about emotions and lack of method. The short side is not the reason, just an amplifier. After witnessing the mother of all short squeezes as a spectator (when Volkswagen AG became briefly the largest capitalization in the world in Frankfurt in 2008), I also decided not to be a short seller of individual stocks...
    Aug 4 09:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian Discounts On Gold And Silver - Bonus: A Black Swan Insurance [View article]
    would be nice, so that I can buy back with a better discount what I sold last week...
    Jul 24 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment David. You're right but in reality, for years most of short positions in this category have been held by a few banks.
    Jul 23 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Paychex CEO Martin Mucci Reveals 2 Elements Of The Growth Story [View article]
    Long PAYX in my SP500 Dynamic Dividend model
    Jul 23 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Notes: A Note On Ackman's Herbalife Fiasco -- July 22 [View instapost]
    I almost cried when he was speaking of his grandfather. An actor is born. Maybe his new vocation.
    Jul 23 08:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Uranium Miners Rebound On Nuclear Renaissance Restart [View article]
    I agree with some of Jim's points. Disclosure: long URA at 14.7 for a while. I like the daily chart, also the weekly and monthly ones: http://bit.ly/1nuKji4
    Jul 21 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Don't Matter In Retirement Either [View article]
    Thanks for the article. The income (or dividend-growth) investor's rationale makes sense when it brings tax advantages. On the contrary in some cases of expatriation dividends have a higher tax than capital gains. In such a case the dividend yield may still be interesting for the market bias it creates on the price... but not for itself.
    Jul 17 08:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Significant Returns Possible With These Inverse Volatility ETFs [View article]
    or worse: 10/19/1987 - article here: http://bit.ly/1wjp0S9
    Jul 15 02:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Get A Big Discount On Gold [View article]
    ...yes, with a note of caution for SBT (silver bullion trust, on TSX or OTC). It is illiquid in its US dollar version, therefore the discount is biased.
    Jul 14 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your question. What do you mean in "the ETF's": all my list of possible holding or the 3 listed in the article? And what do you mean in "the study period"? The 9 months of this trade, the 3 years really trading my Sector model, or the simulation period since 2002?
    Jul 11 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment