Fund Gurus

View Fund Gurus' Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Equity Bubble? This Bull Run Has Only Just Begun [View article]
    I think I'd view a pullback as a potential buy in opportunity. The FtSE 100 (UK market) has just closed down after a 9 day straight rise, which I suspect was to a little profit taking but nothing more. Interesting views about the second half of the year, we will watch closely.
    May 16, 2013. 02:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Equity Bubble? This Bull Run Has Only Just Begun [View article]
    My colleague and I are based over in the UK and so it is harder to access direct US equities, which is a shame for us as we follow the US market and see some great opportunities! For tax purposes we have to use Mutual funds, but there are some great ones about thankfully. Glad you found the article useful.
    May 16, 2013. 02:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Equity Bubble? This Bull Run Has Only Just Begun [View article]
    As an investor where would you allocate cash if you withdrew from equity markets?

Many companies latest earnings beat expectations (although modest expectations it must be said) and are well positioned to grow and increase revenues. I also think this renewed confidence should seeing corporate spending, whether it be on hiring, M&A, infrastructure increase - all supporting the market.
    May 16, 2013. 02:38 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hershey: A Fantastic Long-Term Growth And Dividend Stock [View article]
    An average price around $42 sounds pretty good with the current price at $90! Good luck with the holding and hope the article helps in your future decisions.
    May 16, 2013. 03:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hershey: A Fantastic Long-Term Growth And Dividend Stock [View article]
    I accept that HSY may look expensive on certain metrics, not least P/B. However, this multi-national, with a fantastic brand name has great potential to compound earnings and keep rewarding investors with dividends and as such I still view it as a buy long-term even at this price. There are expanision opportunities which should boost further long-term growth, even if the US is becoming saturated. EM and Europe, are huge opportunities. Kraft's recent purchase of Cadbury was their way of entering Europe, and HSY should look to grow their brand in this market.
    May 15, 2013. 08:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deflation: What Can You Do About It? [View article]
    Why?
    May 15, 2013. 02:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deflation: What Can You Do About It? [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. You are correct, there are two drivers of inflation; cost push (rising wages, increased manufacturing costs) and demand pull. Both of which we are not seeing.

I wouldn't necessarily say the lack of rising wages is causing us to de-leverage, however it certainly causing people to be reluctant to spend, which is a factor psychologically. As you said, "I am not inclined to spend more", and you are not alone which is why both economic growth and inflation are fairly muted.
    May 14, 2013. 02:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Drivers And Risks Of Inflation [View article]
    Deflation is definitely a risk, and something I think central banks are desperately trying to avoid. However, I do think it is important to be aware of the 'flip-side' and whilst inflation may not rise in the short-term, there is an argument that it could rise significantly in the medium-long term. We have recently written an article on deflation, hopefully published today, so hopefully that should provide some balance to this article.
    May 14, 2013. 03:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Protecting Your Portfolio From Inflation [View article]
    Thanks for your comment, and I agree with what you say. Inflation is a tricky nut to crack, the methods we talked about are to deal with long term rising prices, rather than short term.

As you mentioned, short term inflation spikes are very different and many investors pile into highly sensitive inflationary assets. During periods of hyper inflation, generally all asset classes tend to lag.

Portfolio allocation is the best way to protect yourself, and having a broad spread across asset classes would in my opinion best protect yourself.

I do not see inflation rearing its head any time soon, however further down the line, it may be a significant problem.
    May 11, 2013. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equities: Can You Afford Not To Be Invested? [View article]
    That is the issue, bond yields are not improving, in the meantime it is becoming harder to match liabilities.
    May 11, 2013. 06:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Minimum Volatility ETFs: A Stepping Stone For Cautious Investors [View article]
    There are four ETFs available. However I believe the MSCI Europe Minimum Volatility ETF is not available in the US (I may be mistaken), the ticker is MVEU though. Sorry for the confusion.
    May 9, 2013. 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growth Powerhouse Ideal For Long-Term Investors [View article]
    Yea, Amazon has had an excellent track record of growth. Personally I think Ebay offer greater upside potential over the long term, and Emerging Markets will be key to these large companies suceeding.
    May 8, 2013. 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Managing Portfolio Risk: The Key To Long-Term Investing Success [View article]
    The two month time frame for correlations was merely an example of how correlation can be used to diversify risk.

" I would recommend looking at returns over a longer period (1 year), as it will provide a more true representation of correlation over the long term."

A 5 year time period would in my opinion be too a long a period as you said, "Correlations and correlation asymmetries change over time". Monthly data, misses out more specific security movements and as such can be misleading.
    May 5, 2013. 04:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Vs Sony: Game On! [View article]
    My mistake, it is meant to be fruition. I agree, it is a bit annoying paying $35 a year, however from a business stand point it is a cleaver way of generating revenue (as long as you do not push this figure too high) without offering anything different to your competitors.

From a gaming point of view, it is a must have, as most games are now geared towards online gameplay.
    May 2, 2013. 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment