View as an RSS Feed
View Gary Gordon's Articles BY TICKER:
AAPL, AAXJ, ACG, ADRA, AGG, ALT, AMJ, BJK, BWX, BWZ, CAF, CH, CQQQ, CSJ, CVY, CWB, CYB, DBA, DEM, DGS, DIA, DLN, DVY, ECH, EPV, ETP, EWA, EWG, EWH, EWJ, EWK, EWM, EWU, EWY, EZA, FCG, FNI, FPX, FRI, FXA, FXE, FXI, GAF, GDX, GMF, GOOG, GS, GXC, HAO, ICF, IGE, IHI, IJK, ISL, IWC, IXJ, IYT, JGH, JSC, KBE, KXI, LIMC, MOO, NFO, PBP, PFF, PGF, PKW, PPLT, PZD, QABA, QAI, QQQ, REMX, REZ, RTH, RTL, RWR, SDOG, SDY, SEA, SLX, SPLV, SPY, SYLD, TAO, TBT, TDIV, TUR, UNG, UST, UUP, VGK, VIG, VNM, VNQ, VOX, VXX, VXZ, WIP, XLB, XLE, XLF, XLP, XLU, XLV, XME, ZSL
When The S&P 500 Breaks A Record, Reduce Your ETF Portfolio Risk
- The S&P 500 has traded above its 200-day moving average for 394 trading sessions. That has never occurred in the history of the heralded benchmark.
- How long will the S&P 500 continue to defy the odds? Not much longer.
- Late-stage bull markets often see a remarkable amount of complacency.
- An astute ETF investor can prepare for eventual change by proactively managing portfolio risk. Embrace a barbell strategy. Seek out more attractive valuations. Even hedge with negatively correlated assets.
Are Consumer ETFs Ready To Cry Uncle?
- Consumers have been stuck in a rut for the entire five-plus years of quantitative easing.
- Real wages (wage growth minus inflation) have not changed a bit, leaving consumers with the singular option of borrowing to spend.
- Consumer discretionary spending stocks have suffered - they are the only collective class that have struggled to post positive returns over the last 90 days.
Sidestepping The S&P 500 ETF Trap
- Holding large-cap U.S. stocks alone is likely to severely underperform a basket of global equities over long stretches.
- How patient might you be with the S&P 500 in a decade like 2000-2009?
- And since when did diversification become a dirty word?
3 ETF Investments For Persistent Euro Weakness
- iShares MSCI New Zealand represents respectable diversification across a wide range of economic segments, including health care, consumer goods and industrials.
- Investors can seek profits from persistent euro-dollar weakness - I've suggested that aggressive traders consider ProShares UltraShort Euro.
- For those who believe that they might augment their returns by mitigating persistent euro weakness, WisdomTree Europe Hedged Equity (HEDJ) allows you to invest in strong European brands while simultaneously capitalizing on the relative strength of the U.S. dollar.
Managing ETF Portfolio Risk: Be Mindful Of Reversions To Long-Term Averages
- I use three tools when stock valuations are elevated and when adviser optimism hits extremes: revisit the barbell, lower valuations in established uptrends, hedging with negatively correlated assets.
- At the start of the year, I added longer-duration investment grade vehicles like Vanguard Extended Duration or Vanguard Long Term Bond.
- Another method for reducing risk is picking up “less expensive” stock ETFs that have been confirmed by technical indicators.
- To add a layer of protection to your portfolio, you might consider hedging your long positions by owning CurrencyShares Japanese Yen.
Uber And Tech ETFs: Stupid Is As Stupid Does
- “New tech” may already have started the process of crashing.
- “Old tech” is still fairly valued. Favoring old school technology corporations that reward shareholders via dividend increases and buybacks is one way to partially insure against behaving foolishly.
- Intelligent investors take steps to protect their accounts against severe wealth destruction using other forms of insurance like stop-limit loss orders, hedges, and put options.
Eventual 'QE' For The Eurozone? Consider European Index ETFs
- The European Central Bank did not really surprise anyone with its well-telegraphed rate cuts. Yet, risk assets rallied a bit more than most had anticipated.
- Not only did the ECB slash its overnight lending rate, European authorities opened the door to unconventional asset purchases in the future.
- In spite of former high-flyers regaining some of their momentum from 2013, I would rather add foreign equity exposure to client portfolios here in 2014.
Are Record Levels Of Consumer Credit Dangerous To Your ETF Portfolio?
- The last two bear markets punished the irrational exuberance of individuals as well as entities.
- If there is a "bubble" this time around, one would have to take a look at consumer credit.
- Would a slide in consumer discretionary share prices be as onerous as the slumps in technology, financials, etc.? Probably not.
3 'Risk-Off' Signs For ETF Investors
- Federal Reserve encouragement of borrowing and subsequent spending has resulted in the weakest post-recession period of growth since World War II.
- Profits at S&P 500 companies in the quarter rose a paltry 2% from a year ago, in spite of forecasts for an 8.5% rise.
- Corporations will need to start selling a lot of products and services in the months ahead, or the smart money will take a breather in assets perceived to be safer.
- Buy 'Value ETFs' Here, Buy 'Growth ETFs' Over There
- Are Precious Metals ETFs Dead In The Creek?
- 'Old Tech' ETFs Are Better Risk-Reward Prospects Than 'New Tech' ETFs
- Money Is Flowing Out Of U.S. Stock ETFs, Money Is Flowing Into Foreign Stock ETFs
- Bargain ETFs Are Sitting In Plain View
- The Great ETF Rotation Is Accelerating
- Reduce Your ETF Risk Without Forsaking Well-Deserved Rewards
- International Stock And Bond ETFs Deserve More Of Your Allocation
- ETF Moves You Can Make Before The Crowd Gets Restless
- Are Emerging Market Small Cap ETFs Safer Than U.S. Small Cap ETFs?
- Liquidity Makes Alternative ETFs Less Peculiar
- What You Don't Know About Relative Strength Shifts In ETFs Can Hurt You
- Growth Stock ETFs Pass The Torch To Value Stock ETFs
- Bond ETF Patterns Suggest An Appetite For Less Wealth Destruction
- Dividend ETFs May Gleam, Yet Tech Dividends May Shine Even Brighter
- Homebuilder And Home Construction ETFs Falter At The Real Estate Altar
- Weaker Euro Presents ETF Admirers With Multiple Opportunities
- The Return Of Energy ETF Dominance?
- ETFs For Those Seeking Greater Tax Freedom
- ETFs Of CEFs? Yield Shares High Income ETF Impressive Since Inception
- Great Rotation? ETFs Encounter A Different Kind Of Shift In 2014
- Disappointing Employment Data Impact Stock And Bond ETFs Differently
- 3 Asian ETFs With Tremendous Upside Potential