Gary Jakacky

View Gary Jakacky's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Pandora and the Folly of Targeting Customers Who Refuse to Pay [View article]
    Nothing is more personal than music and I am taking all of your wonderful tightwad/whatever comments with a huge chuckle and grain of salt as EVERY internet user should. This being an investor website, its ok to BE wrong but don't STAY wrong: so if you guys have put me onto an opportunity with SIRI than I will be very grateful for it. But for the moment SIRI is for NPR wannabees.

By the way nothing shows how pathetic SIRI listeners are to ask "Who is Joni Mitchell. " :)
    Feb 14, 2011. 02:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Plug-In Vehicles Are a Luxury No Nation and No Investor Can Afford [View article]
    I bike in the Alps often and in other mountain ranges throughout the world as well. What a GREAT idea regenerative braking would be. I could use the descent of Col de L'Iseran to help push me back up the Petit St Bernard.

In any case, thanks for another great article. I am sure you are happy with XIDEs recent performance. Your short Tesla/long Xide was spot on.
    Feb 14, 2011. 01:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    By the way John I notice than even on National Public Radio, the official choice of 'lets you and him pay for the Leaf, Bullet trains and ethanol' set, the Nissan Leafies have stopped referrring to their vehicle as a zero emissions vehicle. Methinks they read your suggestion a few months back that state attornies general (attorney generals to you Loma Linda HS Honors graduates!) file suit about specious claims of zero emissions, even as coal ash goes up the stacks to charge their batteries.

I must admit next time i see a lawyer in the road ahead, I just might tap my (regenerative) brakes a bit. Rock on John!
    Feb 14, 2011. 11:39 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora and the Folly of Targeting Customers Who Refuse to Pay [View article]
    My buddy has Sirius in his SUV. Waste of time, space, precious spectrum bandwidth, and sounds like a bunch of NPR wannabees playing whatever indescribably simplistic slice of music people refer to as 'taste.' In contrast yesterday on my Pandora "Joni Mitchell" channel i sat back for hours as the music wandered the entire gauntlet of folk and melody. A few ads broke up the music and reminded me only of how much I HATE npr and sirius constant reminders about how priceless and commercial free they are.
    Feb 14, 2011. 08:42 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Egypt Today, Saudi Arabia Tomorrow? [View article]
    Awesome! 1 bushel of grain, one barrel of oil. Otherwise, King Abdullahdude, see ya on Al Jazeera!
    Feb 13, 2011. 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Anything Really Wrong With Cisco? [View article]
    Well why should i happy if lower margin products are cannibalizing previous items? I should be happier with suicide by Cisco instead of homicide by competitors? Extra extra! To stay in business Panera Bread has agreed to market Dreikorns sliced white!
    Feb 11, 2011. 12:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Has This Rally Only Just Begun? [View article]
    Like the 1980s, this market smells less regulation, fewer taxes, better technology (computing, energy, bioengineering, and others) and a continued triumph of democratic capitalism. The Obama years will be as reviled and as revealing as the Carter years.
    Feb 11, 2011. 11:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China's Rare Earth Monopoly: The End Is Coming [View article]
    Stop food exports to China. When the riots break out, tell them to eat Neodmyium.
    Feb 11, 2011. 11:24 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gaining Perspective on Electric Vehicles and the Natural Resource Cliff [View article]
    Wise investment or money pit? Critics agree: Only two rail corridors in the world – France's Paris to Lyon line and Japan's Tokyo to Osaka line – cover their costs, says Ken Button, director of the Center for Transportation Policy at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. .

Trains, buses, and subways take you where THEY want to go WHEN they want to go there. They only 'succeed' with massive subsidies, with money effectively coming from the inner city urban poor to subsidize rich guilt driven commuters.
    Feb 10, 2011. 12:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Profit From Earth's Most Precious Commodity: Water [View article]
    Well the luddites must be giving up on peak oil, peak natural gas, global warmingism, ethanol, and god knows what else, because their latest investment tack is to buy into something that falls freely from the sky every couple days! Well done, gentlemen!

The vast majority of the world uses water provided by governments local and federal, at almost zero marginal costs. Even the slightest marginal cost/user fee slashes water consumption by huge percentages: think coin operated showers at campgrounds, and coin operated side loaders at laundromats.

There are profits to be made in water. Fortunes? Hmmmm....
    Feb 9, 2011. 03:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Oil Will Drop [View article]
    I LOVE it. Whenever a writer to SA wants to disagree with a posted article, the reason is....CHINA! Why is the dollar going down? CHINA! Why will the dollar rally? CHINA! Who is afraid of the riots in Cairo? CHINA! Who cares about the riots in Cairo (other than me, that is)? CHINA! Why are oil prices rising? CHINA! Why are natural gas prices falling? CHINA!

I heard the same thing abaout Japan back in the 1980s; now Japan is a washed up backwater of retirees and pachinko players.

Who's fault is that? CHINA!
    Feb 9, 2011. 02:07 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Obama can jawbone corporate executives all he wants to try to persuade them to boost hiring, but they're not likely to "get in the game" until they're convinced he's really on their side. In any case, investors have been more prone to reward companies for holding back on pretty much everything, including workers.  [View news story]
    What a joke. I would have told the moron to go drinkin' with his Chicago Bear buddies. The Anointed One sure knows how to tell other people what to do with their money.
    Feb 8, 2011. 06:35 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bond Market to Fed: Your QE2 Logic Was Wrong [View article]
    Pundit you realize your articles are better than the combined output of the FED, the US Dept of Commerce, and 90% of the economists at US Universities, I guess all the double dippers have jumped on a slow Baltic Dryship to China.
    Feb 7, 2011. 04:05 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware: True Unemployment Is Closer to 10% [View article]
    I love the way people want the unemployment rate to reflect people who work less than 40 hours as 'underemployed.' Tell me ladies and gents, how about all the people who work fifty, sixty, seventy hours a week as entrepreneurs? Are the OVEREMPLOYED? Should we adjust the data for these people? And you thought NPR was biased.....
    Feb 6, 2011. 02:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Something Wrong With the BLS Employment Model? [View article]
    The model is wrong if and only if you are the ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD with the foresight and statistical knowledge on how to adjust to the socioeconomic variables you suggest, most of which have been yacked about, analyzed and foreseen for decades. Remember, my data don't have to be good; they just have to be better than yours. None of the problems you outline seem intractable to a statistician as time allows for better analysis.
    Feb 4, 2011. 02:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment